S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

how much do california s2k owners pay?

Old 06-11-2001, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much do california s2k owners pay?

i am considering buying a s2k soon i just wanted to know if any california dealers sell the s2k at msrp and if over how much?
Old 06-11-2001, 06:43 AM

Where you live is no excuse for above MSRP markup. All dealers pay the same price for the same car. Do not let them tell you otherwise. Selling a car at MSRP guarantees any dealer a substantial profit margin on a car. Selling over MSRP is just putting more of your hard earned money in a greedy dealers pocket. I hated paying MSRP, but could never see paying more than MSRP. Demand MSRP or less. If not move on to the next dealer.
Old 06-11-2001, 06:58 AM

i went to a couple dealers here in southern cali and they wanted at least 2k over sticker (most wanted like 5k)

i was also wondering if i decided to buy the car in another state how that works like taxes?
Old 06-11-2001, 07:06 AM

Originally posted by cali_guy
i went to a couple dealers here in southern cali and they wanted at least 2k over sticker (most wanted like 5k)

i was also wondering if i decided to buy the car in another state how that works like taxes?
That is what I did and it was no problem. I flew to Virginia drove back and saved several thousand dollars. You pay your states sales tax not the state you buy in. The dealer will do this for you.
Old 06-11-2001, 07:13 AM

I'm in southern California and paid MSRP ($32740) for my 2001 S2000. I went to Hardin Honda in Aneheim because they had an ad in the paper that they were letting 7 stooks go for MSRP. But I was looking for Silver/Black and they only had two Yellow/Blacks (which both sold in the 20 minutes I was there). So I went to Norm Reevs in Huntington Beach. They had the Silver/Black but wanted 6k over. I threatened to leave and eventually they gave it to me for MSRP. I was happy.

Kaiser Honda in LA was going to sell to me for MSRP but I didn't feel like going out there. Santa Monica Honda wanted 15k over... yes, $15,000. Scott Robinson Honda in Torrance is asking $10k over. Crazy...

InsaniT
Old 06-11-2001, 07:47 AM

Miller Honda in Culver City wanted 10k over MSRP and we talked them down to 3k above. I have been ever since!!!!!!!!!!! But it appears that there are places here that you can get them at MSRP, but summer is coming, so those places might be few and far between.
Old 06-11-2001, 07:53 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i suggest searching for more on this topic- it is a frequently asked question...
got mine at norm reeves in cerritos for msrp (with forced options- i would have bought most of them anyway)...
Old 06-11-2001, 08:08 AM

there are quite a few dealers in s. cal. that are willing to sell at or slightly below msrp. i got my silver/red 2001 at $32.7 including the factory front and rear spoilers installed. i have seen quite a few others with similar experiences. suggest you call around and/or surf the net.

what ever you do, don't pay over msrp and don't take any options that you don't want.

also, when you're ready to take the plunge, make sure you check the new owner's section at S2Ki.com (here now I guess???).
Old 06-11-2001, 08:19 AM

In 99 i paid the sticker price which was 39k. Plus I added options and warranty came out to way too much after that + tax and lic.

It;s so much cheaper now.
Old 06-11-2001, 08:20 AM

Year 2000 averaged $40-$44k loaded in the Wash DC area. In Florida (southern) they were $38-40k without spoilers. The highest one I heard of was a dealer in VA selling theirs for yes, $58K!

Year 2001 (easier to get) averaged $38-$40k loaded in the Wash DC area. In Florida (southern) I haven't checked.

When I say loaded I mean all spoilers and body trim options plus the usual extras.

I've heard recent and past rumor that a drive to Cali can yeild you $36k on selling your used S2k. Is this true?

Dave

Quick Reply: how much do california s2k owners pay?