S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How much for a diff fluid change?

Old 09-16-2004, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much for a diff fluid change?

I was wondering what the average price of a differential fluid change might cost at a dealership. I was wondering if the job would be better to do myself. Although I don't have an access to a lift or anything.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:35 AM

I think its like 90 bucks from the dealer

just do it yourself, its as easy as changing motor oil

just two bolts, all you need is a pump
Old 09-16-2004, 10:36 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You don't need a lift. With one jack and a jackstand you can EASILY do this yourself. Changing the diff fluid is easier (IMHO) than an oil change.

Check outthe FAQ stickied at the top of the Under the Hood forum for a step-by-step walk through on how to change the diff fluid.

The first time you do it, it might take you as long as two hourse, on subsequent times it should take you no longer than 1 hr from getting everything out, to cleaning up your tools.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct -- I did mine yesterday with LE607... -- along with my Transmissionn fluid with MT-90

I LOVE the way my car shifts now... -- the differential oil was almost black, and there was quite a bit of sludge on the magnet bolt. Boy am I happy -- very simple to do, as ruexp said.

Got one question though... I let it stop draining after it was 30sec in between drops of fluid... I filled her up and it started coming out of the fill hole when it was jacked up (from the rear right jack point) -- yet when I let it down, it seemed as if it didn't drain as much from the fill bolt. I put my finger inside, and I felt that there wasn't just a pool of fluid there, but that the differential slopes downward into the pool of fluid and all I could feel was the metal of the differential housing... of course with some fluid resting on it though...

Makes me wonder if it's topped off or not...
Old 09-16-2004, 12:19 PM

yes it is pretty easy and if you're tini you don't even need to jack it up(but it is still better too ). Xviper's got a GREAT DIY on it....just have to make sure you have the right tools.

#1 rule with any fliud change is ALWAYS take the fill bolt off before taking the drain bolt off...almost screwed that one up This fill bolt is a bit of a pain but if you have the right tools it comes off easy...the DIY lists what you need.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Driv300mph,Sep 16 2004, 01:08 PM
Correct -- I did mine yesterday with LE607... -- along with my Transmissionn fluid with MT-90

I LOVE the way my car shifts now... -- the differential oil was almost black, and there was quite a bit of sludge on the magnet bolt. Boy am I happy -- very simple to do, as ruexp said.

Got one question though... I let it stop draining after it was 30sec in between drops of fluid... I filled her up and it started coming out of the fill hole when it was jacked up (from the rear right jack point) -- yet when I let it down, it seemed as if it didn't drain as much from the fill bolt. I put my finger inside, and I felt that there wasn't just a pool of fluid there, but that the differential slopes downward into the pool of fluid and all I could feel was the metal of the differential housing... of course with some fluid resting on it though...

Makes me wonder if it's topped off or not...
How much is left in your diff fluid bottle? I had a little come out early...but I wasn't anywhere near full. Make sure you have enough in there... Always check how much you put in versus how much you were supposed to put in.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the bottle was so mangled and twisted I have no idea how much was left... I put quite a bit in there, but the bottle still had some weight to it. I assume I had about 10-20% left. Another thing, I had a hose that was the diamater of the fill hole, a pretty tight fit... and I pushed it a good inch into the hole. And even still I had quite a bit seep out of the miniscule cracks around the vinyl hose.

Is there away to check the level of the fluid? I'm not sure if stickin' your finger in is the best way...
Old 09-16-2004, 08:13 PM

is the s2000 the only honda car with a diff? I'm taking it to a honda place who delas with hondas good stuff, but also how much should I tell them she needs to be filled up? 75% of the bottle?
Old 09-16-2004, 10:27 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverKnight,Sep 16 2004, 09:13 PM
is the s2000 the only honda car with a diff? I'm taking it to a honda place who delas with hondas good stuff, but also how much should I tell them she needs to be filled up? 75% of the bottle?
No some of the SUVs are RWD/4WD as well, like the CR-V. Thats the fluid they sometimes try to stick in there and is the WRONG fluid for the S2000.

The S2000 diff should take almost the entire quart, with about 100mL left over.

Hockey
Old 09-17-2004, 05:12 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Just buy the differential fluid you want use and go to a "Jiffy Lube" kind of place and have them do it. Shouldn't be much because it's so simple, or go to a local gas station that offers $9.00 oil changes and just ask the tech to do the differential for $9.00 and have the fluid with you. He should oblidge you for that price or pretty close.

Quick Reply: How much for a diff fluid change?