S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How many of you take out the spare tire for weight reduction purpose??

Old 10-12-2003, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many of you take out the spare tire for weight reduction purpose??

I'm thinking about taking out mine, but afraid IF one day, got flat tire on the road........
also, can you really FEEL the difference when the spare tire and the tool box are taken out?

thanks in advance for all the comments.
Old 10-12-2003, 02:31 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I took out the spare tire and put in an amplifier. So it was not really a performance issue.

By itself, I doubt you will feel any significant change by just removing the tools and the spare.

If you are concerned, join an auto club that offers towing service. If you get a flat in the rear, the spare is a PITA anyway. (Check the manual, Honda wants you to put BOTH front tires on the back, and put the doughnut and good rear on the front if you get a rear flat.)
Old 10-12-2003, 02:36 PM

Same here.

The spare tire is gone and an amp in its place. The tool box is gone a sub in its place.
Old 10-12-2003, 02:39 PM

why don't you take it out and drive the car around the block?
The spare weighs a good 30lbs I believe.
Many people have taken the spare out and opt. to keep a can of "Fix-a-flat" in the trunk instead.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with ruexp67, join an auto club or see if your insurance company provides this type of service if you get a flat. I wouldn't drive on that dinky thing anyway.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:27 PM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

I took mine out simply because it's dead weight. I guess I'll put it back in if I go on a long trip when the tread starts getting thin on my tires. But for relatively short trips, I don't see the point of having a spare tire.
Old 10-12-2003, 04:00 PM

i took it out one day because i wanted to see if id made a differnce , and to now i havent returned it , i dont know why
i should though
and if u get a flat at one of the rear tyres , i think we r going to work on changing the tyres for like 4 hours! (pretty useless IMO)
Old 10-12-2003, 04:23 PM

ruexp67 - actually, if you blow a rear, you put 1 front in that rear's spot ... then the spare onto the front. you don't put both fronts to the back, and the good rear to the front! it is just that you can't put the spare on the rear b/c of the diff.

as for me ... took it out on day for the same reason ... amp and extra space.

b
Old 10-12-2003, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Auto club be damned, I had a high speed blowout of a front S-02 due to something (I have no idea what it was) I ran over about a month ago. Pulled out the cellphone and waddaya know...no service. Switch to analog, no service either. Car is off the road in knee deep grass and I have no choice but to put on the crappy donut or start walking. I chose the donut...only took about 10 mins to change the tire...biggest pain in the ass was trying to squeeze all the crap back into the trunk with a smoking hot front tire/rim combination but I'm damn glad I had something to swap it for.

Take a look at this and tell me what good a can of fix-a-flat would do you:

Sorry about the crappy pic quality but I just did a quicky JPEG conversion.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:26 PM

keep the spare in, sometimes there is no one around to help you and then you're screwed(especially if you get no cellphone service in that particular area).

Quick Reply: How many of you take out the spare tire for weight reduction purpose??