S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How to make shifting smoother...

Old 12-05-2003, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by da_illist_onE
Is it just me or is the S2K harder to shift smoothly than other cars? Most noticeably 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. If I shift fast, it engages smoothly. But when I get lazy and shift slowly, it gets a bit notchy and also has a clunking sound when engaging a gear. I have never had this problem in any other cars. Any tips or advice to get it to shift smoothly? I have also noticed that the stick feels like it hits a moving part in the tranny when I engage 3rd on occasion. No noise or grind just a feel I get through the stick. Any help/input would be appreciated. Just want to get my car shifting like this Thanks guys!
me too, but I also have problem shifting into reverse. I would push down, right, then down, but it wouldn't go down. I have to pull hard then after a couple of second it went down, but not smoothly, kinda harsh.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by s2ksoon
Old 12-05-2003, 11:34 PM

yeah, same thing when trying to get into 1st but just doesn't seem to go in. I just give it a little rev put it into 2nd, then up to first nice and smooth. no problems.

Jason
Old 12-06-2003, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I change the transmission fluid when it feels like the symptoms that you are describing. I won't give you a hard and fast mileage interval, since this varies with the fluid that you are using. I've noticed that the GM Synchromesh does not last very long, but feels great for a short time, the Honda MTF seems to be a good fluid all around and other fluids are preferred for hot climates, etc.

They all have one thing in common, when the transmission is feeling like your description, I change the fluid, regardless of the fluid that I'm using and the mileage on the fluid change.

Unless you have a special need, I would stay with the Honda MTF.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by koala
Old 12-23-2003, 10:50 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mxt_77
That's called a "very direct feel".

If you want things to be smooth, rev-match.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:46 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jsc2K
yeah, same thing when trying to get into 1st but just doesn't seem to go in. I just give it a little rev put it into 2nd, then up to first nice and smooth. no problems.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:27 AM

I had the same question on another thread. Seems s2k's all have similar noises and harshness at certain rpm's. Mine "clunks" when I shift into first from a stop.

Apparently, most say this is normal and is no reason for concern.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:11 AM

i'm really glad someone brought all this up too.. cause i was starting to notice it.. especially the clunk noise going into first at stops.. and a little feelign like i was hitting something when i shifted into 3rd.
i'll probably go ahead and change the tranny, motor and diff. oil first part of next year.. when i'll actually have some free time
Old 12-24-2003, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by Axel6
I had the same question on another thread. Seems s2k's all have similar noises and harshness at certain rpm's. Mine "clunks" when I shift into first from a stop.

Apparently, most say this is normal and is no reason for concern.
Originally posted by Black Nugget
i'm really glad someone brought all this up too.. cause i was starting to notice it.. especially the clunk noise going into first at stops.. and a little feelign like i was hitting something when i shifted into 3rd.
i'll probably go ahead and change the tranny, motor and diff. oil first part of next year.. when i'll actually have some free time
Hi Black Nugget & Axel6,

Question: Are you two coming to a "complete" stop before trying to engage 1st gear?

If so, try engaging 1st while the car is still moving. It doesn't take much, only 1 to 2 mph can make a big difference. If you are moving slowly when trying to shift than you got me!

The one S2000 I've driven, a MY02 w/~30k miles on it, was butter smooth at all times using this technique.

Just a thought,
Drive Safe,
Steve R.

Quick Reply: How to make shifting smoother...