S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

how long do you wait till you vtec ?

Old 08-10-2004, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how long do you wait till you vtec ?

This might have been asked before, but i couldn't find it.

How long do you guys usually wait after cold-start for the engine to warm up so you can take it to vtec ??

I usually *try to* keep it under 6k for about 10 min after cold-start, and then start revving the heck out of it~
Big emphasis on "try to" tho.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:06 PM

you must wait for the engine to have 3 bars.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Question

I believe our cars have some sort of protection that prevents us from V-teching until the car's warmed up. I think it stops you at 6000 RPMs. I've done it twice and thought I red lined it but when I looked at the RPM it was around 6000 and choking
Old 08-10-2004, 08:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Honda designed this car with a built in "cold" rev limiter. You cannot exceed about 6000 rpm or so until the engine coolant temp has reached a designated temp. It is "3 bars" on all pre-'04s. Not sure how many bars for '04s as their bars are smaller increments.
Although some say that even though the water temp has reached a certain temp, this doesn't mean that the oil temp has reached that temp. I don't think Honda was stupid about this. IMO, once the water temp has reached what Honda considers to be "acceptable" for VTEC, the oil has reached whatever temp has also been considered "acceptable". And I believe that based on that oil temp (even though it will be less than the coolant temp), Honda considers that the characteristics of that oil is good enough to VTEC.
My feelings are: If Honda thinks it's safe to VTEC, then why second guess them and wait? But then, this is just me, so please don't take what I do in this case, as gospel.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8 bars on an 04 and it will go for sure. i wouldn't do it before that anyways because once it starts going up it only takes like a minute for it to go from 3 to 8 bars. with 8 i believe it is under normal temp.

but then again i don't know jack shiz...
Old 08-10-2004, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by meth,Aug 10 2004, 08:36 PM
8 bars on an 04 and it will go for sure. i wouldn't do it before that anyways because once it starts going up it only takes like a minute for it to go from 3 to 8 bars. with 8 i believe it is under normal temp.
I agree....and to my eyes, this car warms up faster than any I have owned....
Old 08-10-2004, 09:36 PM

Right. For mine to reach normal temp (8 bars??), it takes less than 5 minutes for sure. Does that mean it's safe to start revving till redline ?
I mean.. how long do you guys wait?? No one has actually mentioned how long.
I just wait 5 more minutes or so, after the temp indicator reaches normal temp. Am i being too cautious?
Old 08-10-2004, 10:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe that at 3 bars the when the coolant is warm...the oil is also most likely warmed up as well...as it isn't protected by a barrier of metal from the extreme heat of the combustion chamber...the oil is right there with it...so it probably heats up very quickly as well.

However, I tend to give it a little more time after three bars because I also think about the tranny oil temp, rear diff oil...all that stuff isn't warmed up enough IMO to take the sudden jolts in high RPMs...

but then...maybe I'm a little hypocritical
Old 08-10-2004, 11:19 PM

I wait till three bars as well, unless my ex is behind me...
Old 08-11-2004, 02:04 AM

I tend to ignore the bars and wait until I've done a few miles just to be sure the oil is nice and warm. A good indicator is when the gearbox becomes nice and smooth.

Quick Reply: how long do you wait till you vtec ?