S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How to launch the S2K

Old 06-09-2001, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quick question b4 i go out and burn out my clutch, whats the correct way to launch the S2K?
Old 06-09-2001, 01:03 AM

S2KGY, if you do a search on "launching", you will find tons of threads which would answer your question...Happy searching.
Old 06-09-2001, 01:08 AM

Very carefully. If you wish to get a fast takeoff, without bogging down or burning the clutch, it has been suggested that you sidestep the clutch. This is accomplished by simply letting your foot drop to the side of the clutch after reving to about 6K. I don't do this myself, but this has been the common recommendation on this board. Otherwise, do it like any other car with a manual transmission.
Old 06-09-2001, 01:26 AM

Everyone one seems to prefer a different rpm
Old 06-10-2001, 02:33 AM

long term are we talking about a wrecked drivetrain component for tha sake of a half second gain? not to mention money down the toilet for wasted tyre tread. how many launches does it take to do this kind of damage?
if someone can convice me that my hunches are wrong, yes i will have a little extra non PC fun. other wise i'll play safe with my baby's mechanicals. well ok your'e listening to a more of a conservative mechanical engineer's POV, rather than a devil-may-care racer. but i do like to let her rip when i can!
JM
Old 06-10-2001, 11:41 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

My suggestion is to let the clutch drag (just slightly) before the dump in order to load up all the driveline components.
Much less impact on the system if all the slack is gathered up first.
Old 06-10-2001, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by RT
My suggestion is to let the clutch drag (just slightly) before the dump in order to load up all the driveline components.
Much less impact on the system if all the slack is gathered up first.
That's funny! You forgot to tell him about the smell that he might encounter when he slips the clutch.
Old 06-10-2001, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by S2K Fan
Everyone one seems to prefer a different rpm
Unicron/Phantom has it down to a science. Before he races, he opens his drivers door, licks his finger , and touches the surface with the licked finger. The results then determine what RPM he needs to drop the clutch from. (j/k Uni)
Old 06-10-2001, 02:46 PM

Read any post with launching that SEV is part of....
Basically drop between 5500-7k depending on road surface. when i say drop i mean drop the clutch (rip your foot off), if you try to slip the clutch at 5500 rpms byebye clutch
Old 06-10-2001, 03:59 PM

You can drop the clutch all day long if you do it right. I've seen it with the yellow race car AKA "The Mistress" on race tires, on concrete. Three drivers, 6 practice starts each. No ugly clutch smell. The RPM that you drop the clutch at is surface dependant. "Loading up the driveline" is not recommended because it requires a higher RPM to avoid clutch spin or engine bog. Also, the rear tires are more likely to spin if torque is applied to them before weight transfer has occured. The clutch grabs harder if it is applied quickly. Slipping it above 3000 RPM can cause it to overheat.

Quick Reply: How to launch the S2K