S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How to keep that new car smell?

Old 02-06-2001, 03:27 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by 2kturkey
Anyone care to tell me how to get the smell of cat urine out of my leather seats - yeah, the trusty Siamese peed in there. He does it with everything he can - it's the old territorial urge. I have tried products like Nil Odour but frankly the cure is worse than the problem. I just want to neutralise this smell and make it disappear - not try to cover it up with some overpowering stink.
Don't get me wrong I love my two cats, but if you have this problem they are trying to tell you something. It needs more attention or is just pissed off at you. Time to do something about it. I might just get rid of it. Sorry
Old 02-06-2001, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My NSX kept the new car smell for years. Some of the tips here are good, but most important is keep the car closed (airtight) and garaged when not in use and the smell will slowly reaccumulate from the plastics, polymers, leather, etc.

I also agree with the previous post about that exterior/engine new car smell. I had forgotten about that. Every time I walk back in my garage I smell it again although it's getting fainter because my car is now about 1 month old.
Old 02-06-2001, 07:03 AM

Click here:

NewCarSmell
Old 02-06-2001, 08:07 AM

Rosso: Definately don't want any of that in a new car. Especially the wet ones!
Old 02-06-2001, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by Mindcore
...it smelled like I had four "dirty" girls in the back seat ...
Hmmmm ... I guess I've never had the opportunity to see what four "dirty" girls in the back seat would smell like.

Can you elaborate?
Old 02-06-2001, 09:56 AM
Former Moderator

Originally posted by TFota

[/B]
Hmmmm ... I guess I've never had the opportunity to see what four "dirty" girls in the back seat would smell like.

Can you elaborate? [/B][/QUOTE]

Purely conjecture...But I have had one in the back seat and it was 4 times worse

I warn you not to use your imagination too much
Old 02-06-2001, 01:29 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CHOWBOX
[/B]Don't get me wrong I love my two cats, but if you have this problem they are trying to tell you something.
Old 02-06-2001, 02:00 PM

about the cats,DID you refuse to lent them the car for the week end.seriously if its in the seat part where the leather has those little holes, its probably gone to the inner sponge.by the way the only leather the seats have is the fronts,all the rest is naugahyde,besides the leather honda uses its pretty cheap.
Old 02-06-2001, 06:41 PM

We bought a carpet cleaning kit from Servicemaster several years ago -- $15 at the time: one of the best investments I ever made. In it was a bottle of urine-neutralizer. Worked great! You could probably find the same or similar product from any carpet-cleaning company if you don't have Servicemaster listed in your telephone book.
Old 02-06-2001, 07:35 PM

Thanks guys, interestingly what the cat did was sit on the top of the seat head rest to pee under the tonneau cover. In so doing he managed to get some to dribble down the head rest and soak into the naugahyde. It's amazing the trouble he went to to get it to trickle under the tonneau cover without splattering the outside - cats are very clean animals.

As you guys know I rarely put the roof up and it took a little while before I discovered dried urine underneath the tonneau and in the roof well - I managed to wipe this off but it stil smells when the roof is up (another good reason NOT to put the roof up).

BikeDoctor, unfortunately we do not have Servicemaster in Oz but thanks for your tip

Quick Reply: How to keep that new car smell?