S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How to keep that new car smell?

Old 02-05-2001, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that this must sound like a stupid topic, but I think it is one which has a certain validity to it - no matter how stupid it may seem!

Don't know about you - but I absolutely LOVE the smell of a new car (the interior smell). I find that it dies off around 2000-2500miles. Friends and I always joke that if somebody could come up with a 'New car smell in a bottle", they would make millions.

But, how can you keep that new car smell? I've been in cars with 10,000 miles and they still smell new, and others smell old after 1000miles.

Is it:

*Body odor, perfumes, deoderants
*Outside pollutants coming in through air vents
*Water dragged in from snow etc
*The manufacture of some plastics/leathers smelling 'newer' for longer?

I mean, you can get into a car that is a year old at the dealership, and it will still smell new, but the same car that has been driven for a year won't smell new! What gives? What makes a new car lose it's smell?

I don't mean to sound crazy - because I'm not! I just would love to prolong the 'newness' of my Stook for a long as possible.

Any ideas?
Old 02-05-2001, 01:45 PM

When I threw in the new 3 piece floor mats, my car smelled new again! I think it's dead polymers that gives off that smell.

Also, I find that the Lexol stuff will help in the leather smell department.
Old 02-05-2001, 01:47 PM

My Vette smelled new after 5000 miles and 15 months...

I found the leather conditioner seems to help a little. Of course, when I picked up the Vette, it still had the plastic on the seats. There was this plasticy smell. Then, we pulled off the platic, I went inside the dealership, signed the bottom line, walked back to the car and the smell of leather was really strong

never lost it.

My S2000 never has smelled new (it was a pre-owned). Even when I put protectant on the interior plastics, the smell of it is gone soon after. I've even Febreezed the carpets and that only lasts a few days as well...
Old 02-05-2001, 01:55 PM

There's a new car smell spray that you can buy from automotive stores. Do a search on the net. Haven't tried it, but it simulates the odors given off from new leather, plastic, etc.

-g
Old 02-05-2001, 01:55 PM

I believe the smell has to do with adhesives and protectants. Years ago, J.C. Whitney sold a "new car smell in a bottle". I have no idea how effective it was. Griot's Garage sells something now that is supposed to do the same.

In 1987 when I bought a new Civic, the dealer "prep'd" the car by putting Armoral with a raspberry odor on the interior vinyl. I told him he covered the new car smell and that's at least 50% of the reason to buy a new car! That car never did get the new smell back.
Old 02-05-2001, 05:03 PM

Sime: I have the freshener from Griot's garage. Works great. Smells like new leather. Just spray the floor, and leave the top up over night. (#11150, Interior Car Scent, $6.95 plus S&H) http://www.griotsgarage.com

dlg1
Old 02-05-2001, 08:18 PM
Former Moderator

When I was taking my Millenia back, I took it to one of those highend detailers to drees it up. Afterwards the guy says "do you wan't any scents?" so I say sure new car smell please. Driving from this place to the dealer was one of the most excrutiating experiences of my life!
My eyes were watering, it smelled like I had four "dirty" girls in the back seat and it was a fitting end to a car I took such a beating on.
Old 02-05-2001, 08:34 PM

My car smells new after 16 months and 4000 miles. Never ever ever put fast food in the car. Keep it in the trunk where it belongs! And no valets! Hey it works for me.
Old 02-05-2001, 10:22 PM

guys, you are not crazy! I will be the first to admit my "fetish" with the new car smell. I totally dig it. My S2k is over a month old with less than 800 miles. I drive it less than once a week and everytime I get in I love the smell. my other car is a 94 prelude VTEC and for years and years I have tried to "master" the science of retaining a new car smell. When cars are really new, their is an "exterior" new car smell too! It comes from the new engine and the oils they put in there, the rubber on the tires, the rubbers on the weather stripping. Ever notice how there's a slightly "metal burning" or "burning oil" type smell after you take a new car for a spin and put it back in the garage. You get a slightly similar effect after an oil change. But to retain/enhance the new car smell inside the car, here's what I've learned through the years:

1. Never put food in the car or eat in the car
2. Never use any type of air freshners (fruity ones, perfume ones, etc.)
3. Always keep it clean (now unnecessary foreign things like dirty clothes, etc.)
4. Never park with windows down.
5. Did I mention KEEP IT CLEAN?
6. When cleaning the interior (carpets, panels, etc.) don't use fancy perfumy type cleaners. I find that a wipe down with a damp rag helps kill the dewey films that build up on the interior windows and panels. The only cleaners I've ever used is diluted Simple Green, and even after that I wipe down with a damp rag. Leave a very clean, plasticy smell. Lexol (the cleaner, not the conditioner) will leave a very new smell too.
7. For the carpets, used very neutral smelling shampoo, no fancy perfumes.
8. Did I mention keep the car clean?
9. Don't give too many rides to passengers.
10. Don't vomit in car (this is a permanent stinker)
11. Don't wear too much perfumes or colognes yourself.
12. Garage the car.
13. DONT LET ARMORALL ANYWHERE NEAR THE CAR!!!

Well that's all I can think of. it is definitely tough, but possible to do.
Old 02-06-2001, 02:30 AM

Anyone care to tell me how to get the smell of cat urine out of my leather seats - yeah, the trusty Siamese peed in there. He does it with everything he can - it's the old territorial urge. I have tried products like Nil Odour but frankly the cure is worse than the problem. I just want to neutralise this smell and make it disappear - not try to cover it up with some overpowering stink.

Quick Reply: How to keep that new car smell?