S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

how hard is it to kick the rear end out

Old 01-24-2008, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dnace,Jan 24 2008, 01:32 PM
hhahah uuuh yeah. and thats why I saw an s2000 go airborne in front of me when he hit a curb haha. stupid drifter.

Seriously though, s2000, w/ stock setup and stagger isn't tough. reduce stagger w/ no sway bar adjustment and it is even scarier. Snap oversteer scares me sometimes, I have just learned to be pre-emptive for it, but it can still come on fast.
The S2000 can get into oversteer situations suddenly, but the problem with calling it "snap oversteer" is that the term ("snap oversteer") is a technical term that describes a very specific type of oversteer that's seen with FWD and swing axle configurations. It's valid to say that the S2000 can snap the tail out suddenly, but technically, it's incorrect to call it "snap oversteer."

LOL, if you want to experience snap oversteer try an old swing-axle Porsche. MUCH more sudden and much scarier than the S2000.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Jan 24 2008, 01:31 PM
It's pretty easy to do. What's hard to do is to keep it from going all the way around once it starts yawing more than about 10 degrees or so.
To get an idea of the "point of no return ..."

Form a 90-degree angle with your hands, left hand pointing up, right hand level to the ground.
Now move your right hand so as to cut that angle in half. That's 45-degrees.
Cut it in half again. That's 22.5-degrees.
Cut it in half AGAIN. That's 11.25 degrees, and it's a pretty small angle. This is close to the control limit with the S2000, because it doesn't have enough steering lock to correct if the angle gets larger.

This is NOT the only reason it takes finesse, but it's one major factor, and a very good example. Throttle timing and control is also critical, and any little mistake that gets you past the "point of no return" will result in a slide (or spin). The line between a nice controlled power slide and a spin is far to fine to be practicing on the street.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:34 AM

^^^ Excellent post, I'll have to keep this in mind before playing around.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:50 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I've kicked my AP2 out a couple of times ........alittle reverse lock no problem.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:53 PM

why would you even want to try this? our cars are deadly when you loose control or even attempt to.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:54 PM

In the dry with good tires i find the AP1 doesn't really get tail happy. You have to really try to get the rear end out and once you do its can be hard to hold onto.......

If you aren't used to it, wait till it rains and class can begin. Just don't kill youself.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by silentdancer,Jan 23 2008, 11:52 PM
hopefully we dont see a "i crashed my s2000" thread soon

IMO, it's very easy to slide the tail around and have some fun.
Keeping it in control is the tricky part.
Whatever you decide to do, please don't try it on the streets.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by S2KVITO,Jan 24 2008, 07:53 PM
why would you even want to try this? our cars are deadly when you loose control or even attempt to.
Well, if you are looking for some kind of justification, it's not that hard. Unexpected things happen sometimes even in normal driving. When they do, it's too late to learn how to deal with the problem. By honing your skills before hand, you increase your chances of avoiding an accident or minimizing the damage when somehthing crazy happens in your daily driving. Learning to handle a slide can be just as important as learning how to get on the brakes mid turn without losing control. It's a skill that can save you from or minimize greief.

But really, no justification is needed. Mountain climbing and sky diving can also become deadly, so why do people climb mountains or jump out of perfectly good airplanes? Would you ask a mountain climber or a sky diver this kind of question?

Now trying this kind of thing on the street is asking for trouble, but that's not what most of the people who have contributed to this thread have been talking about.

Our cars are less likely to be deadly in skilled hands, and the skills don't come without experience.

Also, I'm calling on your choice of the word "deadly." Of the countless crashes we've seen here on S2kI, VERY FEW have been deadly. If you're gonna crash in a car, the S2000 isn't a bad choice, especially for an open car.

TailSlide, unfortunately it is almost a given that we'll be seeing another "i crashed my s2000" thread soon. They have been getting relatively rare lately, so we're due for a flood.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by S2KVITO,Jan 24 2008, 04:53 PM
Cause Drifiting is on the FAST AND THE FURIOUS movie man lol
DUH!!!!
lol jp

we all got alittle johnny tran in us
Old 01-24-2008, 07:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only kick the rear out when I have to do a u-turn and it's tight.

turn the wheel, rev up to about 5000rpm, drop the clutch, countersteer, control throttle and once it straightens out, wot.

the whole point is not to kick the tail out. that's the game.

we don't have enough torque as stock form to drift or have any sort of fun with this car, unless you're super good at throttle control (like a god).

Quick Reply: how hard is it to kick the rear end out