S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How fast can you go entering the curve?

Old 08-17-2004, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How fast can you go entering the curve?

I've always take it slow when approaching the curve but readily speed up when coming out of it. What was your fastest speed prior to entering the curve? I've heard many stories that people spun out or got trashed from driving too fast around the curves. This is on dry roads.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:51 AM

That is a redundant question considering there is a million different types of corner configerations. Without a specific corner in question, there is no answer.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:20 AM

what I meant was, let say you're approaching a 25mph curve ahead. Do you blast through it at 45mph or 60mph or whatever? What was your fastest speed at that time? I hope this helps clarify my question.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:36 AM

RACER's right - WAY too many variables.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:56 AM

Sorry Twisted but I have to agree with the other folks so far, there is no way to answer this question.

I can tell you what MY speed was at turn 2 at Pocono North cousre, but that doesn't mean a better driver couldn't go 10 MPH faster. It also does not translate to any 25 MPH corner on your local streets. Also, your local streets are not the place to find out the limit of your car.

I will say this. If you take your car to the track you will be amazed at just how fast it really can take a corner. It's worth the trip!
Old 08-17-2004, 12:01 PM

You wanna know my speed before or after I slid through the ditch and clipped a concrete sewer manhole, ripping off my left-rear wheel, shredding the suspension, and tweaking the front and rear bumpers?
Old 08-17-2004, 12:03 PM

As a general rule, (what I learned from a professional driving instructor) it is good to go slow in and fast out. Your speed coming out of a corner will dictate your top speed at the end of a straightaway. You want to come in as fast as you can, obviously, but if you come in to fast, the car will begin to crab (also if you turn in too early) which means you start pushing toward the outside well before you are ready to exit meaning you have to get off the throttle.

I have been critiqued by 4-5 instructors in one day at Sears Point Raceway in Sonoma. One instuctor will advise you to use a specific technique, while another instructor will tell you something that is completly the opposite from that of the other instructor on the same exact corner. for example, coming into turn 4, one instructor told me to brake early, then slowly roll on the throttle as turn 4 is slightly downhill. Another instructor told me to brake later and trail brake 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through the corner. Totally different stratagy. All I can say is, listen to what your instructor(s) tells you and if it works for you and you feel comfortable with it, then do it. If it doesn't work, or you do not feel comfortable with it, then don't do it. You will have to figure it out on your own. If you are intellegent enough to conclude that the advice your instructor gives you will not work for you, you will figure it out on your own.

Again, as far as how fast you come into a corner, would be determined by a specific corner. When you say take a 25 mph corner at 45-60 mph, do you mean 25 mph as in at the apex? If you could go 45 mph in a corner smoothly, then it would be a 45 mph corner, not a 25 mph corner. If you took a corner rated at 25 mph, meaning the slowest speed at the apex at 60 mph, you would not make the corner. Depending on the terrain, you could have a devestating accident. (hit a tree, go off a cliff) I don't recommend doing this as this could result in serious bodily injury or death.

I grew up racing around the Santa Cruz Mountains, so I have learned to stay away from the edge of control on public roads. You have to have a little sense of "what could happen"

Sorry for writing a book
Old 08-17-2004, 01:49 PM

Thanks guys for the replies. I was curious because my friend who drives a WRX could take the corner at 60mph (this is an almost u-turn 25mph according to the sign). It was frightening but at the same time I could feel the car completely stick like glue to the road. Maybe it is an AWD vehicle. Again, I don't dare try to do what he did, I just don't have the nerve
Old 08-17-2004, 01:55 PM

Racer is right.

If you have to ask the question then you shouldn't be driving that fast, because driving at the limit requires good technique and feel for when the car is going to let go. If you don't have that feel you have to drive slower and leave a some safety margin. Driving that close to the limit is a track only thing, because there is no room for error or surprise conditions.

That being said if you are talking about highway signs indicating max turn speed. Consider the "max speed" was determined by least common denominator, i.e. the average driver on the average handling car/truck. A S2000 is going to be much more capable and in the hands of a good driver it could go much faster.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by TwistedS2k,Aug 17 2004, 05:49 PM
Thanks guys for the replies. I was curious because my friend who drives a WRX could take the corner at 60mph (this is an almost u-turn 25mph according to the sign). It was frightening but at the same time I could feel the car completely stick like glue to the road. Maybe it is an AWD vehicle. Again, I don't dare try to do what he did, I just don't have the nerve
AWD does NOT mean good handling and stick like glue. It is a common misconception. AWD distributes the engine torque to four wheels instead of two, so there is more grip for acceleration. It does nothing for cornering or braking. It might be considered easier to drive, since it has some FWD characteristics of understeering making it more accessible to regular drivers.

Quick Reply: How fast can you go entering the curve?