S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How Does Your S2000 Handle In The Rain?

Old 12-24-2003, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Does Your S2000 Handle In The Rain?

whats up guys

Im just curious to see how many of you drive ur S in the rain and how it handles. Well, mine handles like shit when im driving in a rainstorm because # 1, its become obvious to me that i need new rear tires which i will purchase soon. But those with good rear tires, does the car still slip and slide? cuz i was drivin today in rain, and it was really scary! i was losin control everywhere! so im guessin i gotta get new tires. but anyway, how does ur handle? thanks
Old 12-24-2003, 08:05 AM

It really depends upon the driver. If you are gentile with your motions (gas, brake, steering), you should be fine in any weather.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:08 AM

I put Yokohama db's on for the winter and they do great in the rain.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:12 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Assuming you have a pre-'04 model, the S02's are optimized for dry weather. They will work in the wet but they're not a good rain tire. Many people on the east coast put a different tire on during the winter, especially in areas that see a lot of snow.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:14 AM

It hadles like a AE86 Tureno is the rain stage of Grand Turismo! Drift Mode Baby!
Old 12-24-2003, 08:14 AM

I used to have worn SO-2's on the rear and driving in the rain was a challenge. Forget about vtec and watch for pooling water on the road.

Now that I have new SO-2's the car is awsome in the rain assuming the temperature is well above freezing. I find road temperature to be the biggest factor. Even with dry roads if temps drop towards freezing or below, the SO-2's harden up.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:16 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

I live in south florida, which gets an abundance of rain every year. I have had absolutely no problems driving the car in the rain. Handling isn't an issue, because you have to be a complete ass to push the handling when it's wet. After reading numerous complaints from other owners about inexplicably losing control, I decided to see what the limits of wet traction were (I use S02s). My conclusion was that I had to be an absolute meathead with the steering wheel or the throttle (or both) to lose control.

Mashing the pedal sharply while it a normal turn would cause the back end to step out (surprise, surprise). Turning smoothly while traveling at a constant (even faster) speed does not. It's all about balance and smoothness. Some of my first 'attempts' to hang the back out weren't even successful, I found there is actually more grip than I was led to believe.

It's just a matter or curbing your enthusiasm and driving for the conditions. I will not VTEC if there is standing water on the ground, and I avoid the highway in the rain if I have worn tires.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:25 AM

I had this problem a few weeks ago with my S02's. The car handled horrible, I couldnt go above 50mph w/o the rear end drifting/hydroplaning.

It didnt help that my S02's were almost bald. So I decided to hold off till next spring before I buy new S02's.

To get me through to summer I bought some cheap ass Kumho Ecsta's for $87 a piece, they handle like crap in the dry but I drove yesterday in the rain and they did great.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never had issues with my S2000 in the rain. The only time I started having issues was when the rear s-02's got down to 10-15% tread, then it was a little scary.

Totally agree with jeffbrig. The car is predictable in the rain. I think many of the complaints about the car or the S02s in wet weather are due to excessive wear on the tires. I will continue to use the S02s and will continue to replace them when they become worn. I don't care to be another statistic, or an "absolute meathead".

Joser
Silver/Red

Quick Reply: How Does Your S2000 Handle In The Rain?