S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

how does rev limiter feel when hit?

Old 03-30-2001, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spazzed out this morning and missed a downshift (6-3 instead of 6-5) at 80+mph. the revs "bounced" off the right hand side of the readout down to 5-6K (maybe 6-7K) but it didn't seem too traumatic.

Then, of course, I compounded it by missing the upshift from 3-4 and going into 2nd instead (at least I think that is what happened - I was a poor, confused soul about this time), with the same "bouncing rpms" thing.

My first thought was "OMG, my car is gonna die", but there were no weird noises and it ran fine the rest of the way to work. I let it rest for a few hours, checked the oil, then took it out a little while ago and redlined it thru 4th (after proper warmup, of course). Feels just like it always felt.

From reading other threads, I got the impression that when the rev limiter cuts in it cuts off fuel and you get a sudden decrease in acceleration. I used to have a BMW and when you hit the rev limiter there was a dramatic shutdown of power - it really made you not want to do that again.

Was I lucky? Did I dodge a bullet? Maybe I had the clutch in fast enuf to prevent trauma?
Old 03-30-2001, 08:21 AM

80+ miles an hour to 3rd gear isn't bad at all.
3rd gear goes to ~ 90 MPH. In fact...when I am @ 80 MPH...I downshift to 3rd, but reving the engine to about 8K before doing so.

I really messed up one time...actually it was twice.

I shifted from the redline in 3rd (90 MPH) to 2nd gear...and I did this twice when I was racing a Camerro. Bounced off the rev limiter 3-4 times before slamming on the clutch again...engine sounded like it was going to blow. I don't think any damage occured to the engine...but it can't be good.

That probably screwed up my 2nd gear syncro pack...but I got it replaced after the incedent anyway when I had the 1st to 2nd gear grind serviced (maybe I caused it).
Old 03-30-2001, 09:14 AM

well, like I said, nothing seems to be hurt. It didn't even sound that bad when it happened.

I just thought that the rev limiter produced a much more dramatic reaction than what happened.
Old 03-30-2001, 09:29 AM

The rev limiter will do you no good in an over rev on a down shift. The momentum of the car will keep the wheels turning at the given speed. The wheels attach to the drive shaft which attaches to the engine crank via your tranny (gear) and clutch. The crank turns the pistons (in this case) even if the fuel and or spark is shut off. That's all a rev limiter does, shut down fuel or spark.

In your case, you may have over-revved only a small amount or not at all. But make no mistake, if you had been going faster, 100mph, and hit third, your engine would be toast and no rev limiter will save you. Got to stay on your toes!

[Edited by Silver S2K on 03-30-2001 at 10:32 AM]
Old 03-30-2001, 10:27 AM

You WILL know if you hit it. It is very dramatic.
Old 03-30-2001, 10:57 AM

Silver S2K is right. DON'T screw up high rpm downshifts. The rev limiter will not save you in that situation, as the momentum of the car will force the engine to turn at higher rpm regardless of the limiter. The rev limiter will only keep you from accelerating over the rev limit. It feels like someone switched off your ignition until you drop below the redline. Then it comes back on.
Old 03-30-2001, 11:51 AM

Believe me, I did not do this on purpose, just need more practice/experience to reduce the spazz factor.

per Molly W's comment I must not have hit the rev limiter then. Maybe I got on the clutch in time. Well it was weird enough that I will try like h e double hockey sticks not to do it again.
Old 03-30-2001, 01:03 PM

Want to know what it feels like? Try hitting VTEC before the cars is warmed up. She just boggs at 6K. Make sure know one is behind you.
Old 03-30-2001, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by wirejock
Want to know what it feels like? Try hitting VTEC before the cars is warmed up. She just boggs at 6K. Make sure know one is behind you.
I would be concerned that hitting the cold temp rev limit at 6K rpm might be harder on a cold engine than hitting the normal temp rev limit of about 9200 when the engine is properly warmed up. Don't know for sure. I just don't like to run an engine hard when it is still cold.
Old 03-30-2001, 02:04 PM

gonna have to try something, cause I'm not used to gears this close together. I may give the cup thing a try.

Quick Reply: how does rev limiter feel when hit?