S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How do you shift with no clutch???

Old 06-28-2001, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you shift with no clutch???

Im pretty new to this whole manual thing and I keep seeing the double clutch method being described, but I cant find anything on clutchless shifting. Could somebody help me to understand how the hell this is accomplished without burning a hole through your clutch?
Old 06-28-2001, 10:29 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't burn the clutch by doing this, you run the risk of grinding the teeth of the gears or even breaking gears.

But the way you do it is to make sure that the revs match perfectly and NOT to force the shifter. If you match the revs just right, the shifter should snick right into the gear.

It's not hard to do, but you should practice on the highway going from 4th to 5th without the clutch. By the time you get the stick near fifth, the revs have fallen just about enough for it to go right into gear. If you are slow, you may have give it a little gas, but not much.

And most importantly, DON'T force it!
Old 06-28-2001, 10:38 AM

Clutchless upshifting is not a problem. It's clutchless downshifting that's tricky. Excellent way to learn rev matching. Practice in a beater. It's not good for the gears to grind 'em.
Old 06-28-2001, 10:40 AM

To answer your question. "VERY CAREFULLY" Use a beater for practice.
Old 06-28-2001, 10:43 AM
S2R

What's the reasoning behind clutchless shifting?
Old 06-28-2001, 10:54 AM

I know the reason for clutchless shifting is to get into gear a lil faster than using the clutch I just didnt know how to do it Do you redline and quickly shift or what?
Old 06-29-2001, 12:04 PM

If you don't do it right, you run the risk of wearing the teeth to the point that it will start slipping out of gear. At least use the clutch to take it out of gear using the rpm to slip into the next.
Old 06-29-2001, 12:20 PM

Please don't do this in your S2000. Find a piece of crap to do this in. The thought of your gears grinding is enough to send chills down my spine.
Old 06-29-2001, 01:01 PM

Psychic Prediction!!!! Soon will be thread about stook poping out of various gears!

Don't do it in the stook!
Old 06-29-2001, 03:12 PM

chill....out....
It is just a car. If you want to practice clutchless shifting on the S2000...just be aware of what can happen. A saw a guy who took his S2000 off road and broke some stuff. People jumped all over him...Hey..get over it..it's his car ...if he wants to mess it up...that is his business. I thought it was funny...taking a car that is about 4inches off the ground over bumpy dirt!! Hey, I wouldn't do it, but it is his money!! I saw a guy who had a nice older ferrari...and he used to beat the crap out of it....good for him. Drive it like you stole it right??

Final word on this. Clutchless shifting in the S2000 is pretty darn easy, but you can grind and possibly (but not likely) you might break teeth on a gear. The close ratio of the gears make clutchless shifting and matching rev very easy compared to most other cars. practicing clutchless shifting on other cars isn't going to help you do it on the S2000 cuz the points where you shift will be much different. IF you really want to learn how to clutchless shift...do it on the car you will be doing it on. I would recommend learning techniques like heel toe down shifting, speed (or power) shifting and not clutchless shifting. jus my .02.

Quick Reply: How do you shift with no clutch???