S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How do you scope out the perfect parking spot?

Old 02-20-2002, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you scope out the perfect parking spot?

Well, with my antenna stolen recently, I've been having to re-think my parking strategy (yes, my gf thinks I'm a nutcase). So, what do you guys look for when finding the perfect parking spot? I normally like to park far away, usually in the last row of a parking spot so that I'll at most have just one car parked next to me. However, those spots are generally the most secluded spots too, which seems like it'd be an easier target for thieves or vandalism.
One thing I definitely do not do is take up two spaces, as I think that'd just draw unwanted attention and would prolly piss some people off.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:37 PM

personally, i like the corner spots by the entrance (usually very open).
Old 02-21-2002, 12:05 AM

I try to park next to / between cars that are more expensive than mine in the hope that they are careful.
Also, theives would hopefully try them instead of mine.
Aviod 4x4s (door dings) and older, rusty cars (careless owners) and trolley parks.
Old 02-21-2002, 01:34 AM

Since I qualify for handicapped parking due to a heart problem, my S always gets a nice, wide spot, protected from door dings. The only problem I've ever had was when somebody challenged my right to park there. I usually just flash my bypass scar and go on my merry way.
Old 02-21-2002, 04:45 AM

Even if I park away from everyone, when I come back to my car there are ALWAYS cars parked around me. ALWAYS!!! I don't know what to do anymore! Very frusterating.
Old 02-21-2002, 05:50 AM

I try and make mine as visible as possible, I figure that if it's in view, it's less liable to get messed with.

AND, if I'm concerned about the antenna, I unscrew it and put it in the car. You can get a new one, cheap, from our sponsors (h-and-a or hondaaccura)
Old 02-21-2002, 05:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I usually double park, but do it away from cars or heavily parked areas as to not piss people off. I dont want any soccer moms with their 8 kids dinging my doors. Every car I have had has gotten door dents. I am going to make this car the exception... or else!!

Where's my rifle.... lol
Old 02-21-2002, 10:05 AM

Here are my theories on parking...
Clearly you always have to look for an 'end spot'. I can only think of two times in my .5 years of owning my S2k that I didn't get an end spot. By end spot I mean a curb on one side. I park about an inch away from the curb to avoid door dings. It helps if you park the car next to a curb with a passenger door facing the S. That has to reduce your chances of getting door dings. One of my friends would never park by two door cars...

Don't take up two spots. You're an ass if you do that.

Don't park far away from other cars, that attracts unnecessary attention to your car.

...and what w6dan said.
Old 02-21-2002, 10:39 AM

I try to park in a clearly visible area between 2 luxury cars.
Old 02-21-2002, 10:45 AM

In the early 90's (the age of self deploying shoulder harnesses) you had a failsafe way of determining whether or not the passenger door of a parked car would get used (i.e. if the shoulder belt is in the open position on the "track"). I miss that - great way to find a really safe end spot.

I pick an end spot that's still in the popluated part of the lot (so as not to draw attn) and then angle the front of the car right up against the curb, leaving me at an angle but still comfortably in the spot and fairly far over toward the curb. I always worried that pulling straight in right next to the curb leaves open the possibility that some jackass can pull straight in next to me and still get close enough to ding me. The "angle" approach prevents that. I am dingless with my s2k so far.

On the other hand (as my fiancee' points out often), I probably worry about this sh#% a bit too much!!

Quick Reply: How do you scope out the perfect parking spot?