S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How do you know if your "new" S2000 has been test driven or not?

Old 07-01-2002, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you know if your "new" S2000 has been test driven or not?

lets say you go to the dealer, and they have the S2000 that you want it the lot. but you look at the mileage and it has about 5-10 miles on it.

how would you know if that car has been taken out for a test drive?? i ask this because my brother went to test drive an S2000. the car had ~4 miles on it, and the dealer let him test it out. and the salesman sitting next to him didnt say anything when when he redlined it a few times. the car went back to the dealership with 8 miles on it.

so how would you know if your "brand new" car has been abused or not?? (and no...asking the salesman if it has been driven or not is not an option. he/she will most likely say "NO")

TIA
Old 07-01-2002, 07:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

In all honesty?...you won't likely know. Its damned near highly unlikely that a dealer with an interested/willing buyer is going to say "No...you can't drive this car *that* way" (proly a guaranteed, sure-fire, deal-killer). And then again, some dealers don't know the ropes on this automobile's break-in (sad).

But most importantly...I'd say this: More than likely a pop to the top like that ain't exactly going to break the engine. I purchased my car used from CarMax with 3K miles. 2 previous owners. What did they do to it??? I'll never know. But I have a great S2K. A strong motor. I now have over 20K miles. And I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Now...with that said, tell your brother not to VTEC test drives please.
Old 07-01-2002, 10:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you won't know. but "NEW" cars will have anywhere between 6 and 15 miles on them.
Old 07-01-2002, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by w1ngman

Now...with that said, tell your brother not to VTEC test drives please.
lol...

he said he felt sorry afterwards.
Old 07-01-2002, 10:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Schatten
[B]you won't know.
Old 07-02-2002, 07:08 AM

It has. Don't worry about it.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask the dealer if you can test drive it. If he says yeah and doesn't complain about vtec, then say thanks and walk away.

What if my car had been abused? I think it had, but is there anything I can replace to "fix" the damage that may have been done? Just a thought.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:16 PM

If it's sitting on the dealer's lot and has already been prepped, then there's no way to tell if someone drove the car. Even if the cars come with some test mileage on them already, you won't know if one of the salesmen took it around the block for a short 1-2 mile drive.

The only way to guarantee that no one has driven the car is to be there when it rolls off the delivery truck. Even then, the car has to be driven onto and off of the truck, so who knows how it was driven when it was being put on the truck.

Bottom line is that someone may have driven the car, and salesmen will most likely tell you "no" because they want to sell you the car. You just have to put it out of your mind that someone else drove the car before you did. If you worry about it too much, you'll go crazy!
Old 07-02-2002, 02:23 PM

can codes be pulled off the ECU, and can they find out the highest RPM the engine has reached??

can't you ask them to do this for you?
Old 07-02-2002, 03:20 PM

If it is something that is going to bother you, then only buy a car off the truck.
That's how I got mine, I feel quite good about it all, 15,000 miles later and no problems.

Quick Reply: How do you know if your "new" S2000 has been test driven or not?