S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How do you guys wash your cars?

Old 11-13-2002, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DaveFromSydney:
Unfortunately, swirl marks are inevitable but try this: keep flapping the towel after you've dried a certain part of the car. (flap AWAY from the car, of course) This should help a little bit. and I feel your pain!! The TL-S we have is black and it is just so hard to kepp clean, but then again, everytime I'm done washing it, I'm reminded why I got the color in the first place! It is so worth it!

Incubus:
Well, I wish I could learn to do things myself than paying someone else to do it too! but that mean I'll have to learn to build my own house after chopping down some trees, make my own TV, grow and cook my own meals, design my own car and build it too... you get the idea. The thing is everyone has a different mind, and so there are people who think we're anal about our cars and those that think we're not even close to making enough effort, so please do not criticize others.
Notice that I'm just as anal about the s2000 as you! so please do not take this as a flame.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:17 PM

Old 11-13-2002, 08:01 PM

Oh, almost forgot, I always use a chamois to pick up most of the water, then dry completely with cotton towels.
Old 11-13-2002, 08:03 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SilverS2KAZ
[B]Just so ya know........................
..........and this may come as a HUGE suprise to you, but we don't take our S2k's to the car wash here in the U.S.
Old 11-13-2002, 08:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by JL9000
Oh, almost forgot, I always use a chamois to pick up most of the water, then dry completely with cotton towels.
I originally used a chamois (genuine leather - costing $AUS 25, i.e. $US 14) but I decided that was most likely causing the scratches so I went to 100% cotton towels. I have a couple of large ones and I use the first one in a sort of patting action to soak up the majority of the water that doesnt sheet off and then use the second one to gently dry the remaining moisture. I also try not to use circular motions - only from to back or top to bottom on the side. I then wash the owels in liqiuid detergent, no fabric softener, and tumble dry them, ready for the next car washing.

I look at every black car I see in the street to see how scratched they are and I generally see scratches similar to, but perhaps not quite as bad as mine. I think if I was getting another car (S2000 of course) I would go for something lighter and metallic. The other 3 cars in our family are all washed by me - with less care than the S2000 - and I dont have these problems, although I only air dry the others.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:28 PM

DaveFromSydney:
Hey great minds think alike! Our method is EXACTLY the same other than the fact that I use a chamois... why? because my car is white! Seriously though, I don't think the chamois can cause problems, one just has to take good care of it. Clean it often with mild soap and warm water.
When you're going to wash the car, wet the chamois first with a little mist from your hose before you start doing anything, that will soften it up later when you need to use it.

You don't have the problems with the other 3 cars because the S is your baby and they are not!
Old 11-13-2002, 11:49 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JL9000
[B]DaveFromSydney:
Hey great minds think alike! Our method is EXACTLY the same other than the fact that I use a chamois... why? because my car is white! Seriously though, I don't think the chamois can cause problems, one just has to take good care of it. Clean it often with mild soap and warm water.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:48 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by s2kdmw
[B]What is the best way to wash the car without scratching it?
Old 11-14-2002, 10:03 AM

to our persistent friend from arizona....

actually, my car will look better than yours....

why?? because NOTHING touches my car...no mitts, chamois, brushes, cloths, rags, etc....

for the last time time.....IT IS A TOUCHLESS CAR WASH...it's just high-powered jets of water........and, yes it is a drive-through.

HOW ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH IS THAT GOING TO CAUSE MORE SCRATCHES THAN WHAT YOU ALL ARE DOING?????
Old 11-14-2002, 10:36 AM

I'm confused (from the south you know...) What is the topic again? And why do I keep hearing "blame canada" in the background?

BTW the manual does not differentiate between touchless and touching car washes. The big problem with touchless car washes is if the water jets have enough velocity to push water past the seals.

Quick Reply: How do you guys wash your cars?