S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How do you guys wash your cars?

Old 11-13-2002, 04:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you guys wash your cars?

What is the best way to wash the car without scratching it? Any certain products you use? I'd like to give it a bath before the weekend.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 11-13-2002, 04:35 AM

Check out posts in the Wash and Wax section for more details. 100% cotton is the way to go for cloths or microfiber. I always use a nice clean cotton mitt that I rinse between panels.

Good Luck!!
Old 11-13-2002, 08:54 AM

Unfortunately, it is very much impossible to avoid scratching your car every time you wash it. But there are things you can do to minimize the scratching. Some things I do that I can think of off the top of my head:

1. Use a seperate bucket for the wheels and the body.

2. Use a seperate wash mitt for the wheels and the body.

3. EVERY time a wash mitt gets used, I throw it into the washing machine. And it comes out clean ready for the next wash session.

4. First things I wash, back vinyl window, plastic on the taillights, on the headlights, and the high mount brake light. The plastic will start to show scratches easily so I try to wash them first while the mitt and wash water are very clean.

5. Rinse the wash mitt periodically when washing the body, especially after washing a dirty panel.

6. Don't forget to dry the car. I've seen best results when a product actually meant for drying cars is used here.

That's all I can think of for now...sorry.

I take car washing seriously because it is one thing that if done correctly, will go a long way towards keeping the car looking beautiful. If done incorrectly, it can ruin the finish faster than anything else. Hope this helps.

Now you know some of my car washing secrets!
Old 11-13-2002, 09:08 AM

-Wash mitt only for wheels
-Boar's hair brush for body
-Microfiber drying cloths

Have fun!
Glen
Old 11-13-2002, 09:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

drive through car wash....6 bucks and 5 minutes of your time......

it's just a car....not your baby's bum.......
Old 11-13-2002, 09:20 AM

Start at the top and work your way down after the suggestion of the plastics. Keep the mitt as clean as possible even with washing between passes.

If you have an air compressor around, it's nice for blowing out the cracks etc when drying especially if you are getting ready for some waxing/polishing too!
Old 11-13-2002, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Instead of the air compressor which never does anything but blow the water around (for me anyway), try using a big shop-vac to suck the water out of the cracks and crevices.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:07 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by TKG 26
drive through car wash....6 bucks and 5 minutes of your time......

it's just a car....not your baby's bum.......
I can't believe you said that. You're fired!
Old 11-13-2002, 10:39 AM

I start with a bucket of clean water and do not add soap to it. I use a cotton mit with high pile and just wet it and put a couple of drops of soap directly on the mit. I wash all the hood and trunk, rinsing the mit frequently, and add soap back to the mit as needed. Then I move to the vertical side panels and rear, only washing about 3/4 way down, again rinsing in the clean water bucket frequently. Then I wash the nose and the bottom of the vertical panels (washing the cleanest first). Then I use a California Water Blade to get most of the water off and a cotton towel to get the rest (Don't forget the door frames, under the trunk and hood). Then I take another damp cotton towel to wipe off the wheels and brake calipers. I usually have to use a toothbrush on the calipers too (makes my teeth a little dinjy, but it's worth it to clean those calipers) I only rinse the top with clean water...no soap, no scrubing...If it gets too dirty, I use a masking tape style of lint brush roller to clean it when dry. Plexus for the back window, headlights, and tail lights, Armor all leather wipes for the seats and door panels, regular Armor all for the dash, vacuum, Tire foam, and I'm done...unless I break out the detailing clay and wax. I try to wash my towels and mits right after I finish nut usually don't get to it until the next laundry day.
Hope that's enough info for you.
Old 11-13-2002, 11:02 AM

First of all, despite the recommendation from the owner from Toronto, do not take the car to a car wash - EVER!!! Especially if you are concerned about scratches. This was a ludicrous response to a good question.

Drying tip -
I dry the entire car with my Black & Decker heavy duty leaf blower.

The less you have to come in contact with the surface of the car the better.

This is especially good for getting the water out of the Mirrors, Tail and Front light covers, Door handles, Emblems, Wheel Lug nuts, etc.

The blower gets 95% of the water droplets off the surface of the car, then I go over the entire car with Maguires Mist Detailer and clean dry 100% cotton cloth.

Washing Tip -
Move to Arizona and you only have to wash the car every other week.

I've had the car since 8/1/02, have 3400 miles, and haven't driven in the rain yet.

Quick Reply: How do you guys wash your cars?