S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How do I make vtec hit harder?

Old 01-19-2008, 06:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Jan 18 2008, 11:12 PM
The smoother transition of the F22C is yet another thing that makes them less likely to become involved in spin related accidents, so maybe you should be thankful for it. Cars with the F20C can be nasty when VTEC engages unexpectedly while accelerating hard off a corner, and it's bitten more than one of us.
Thats so true. I often find my tailend going sideways when i hit vtec.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant speak for the AP1 VTEC crossover NA but my AP2 with the CTSC is a LOT like its being sprayed when it hits VTEC. It's pretty wicked when you hit VTEC on my car.

However, the original post is the dumbest thing I've ever heard to be honest. I guess the best suggestion would be to buy some custom Crower cams that have seriously mellow low cam lobes and really radical high cam lobes. Stir, shake, and enjoy.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by shy_guyAP1,Jan 18 2008, 10:58 PM
Get a VAFC and get a retard to tune it.

From what I understand a well tuned V-TEC car should give you that feeling, a smooth transition would be a faster car.

Right?
This is absolutely correct. The VTEC transition (if tuned properly) should be smooth and linear. The major indicator would be the change in engine tone. It won't feel as powerful as that sudden hit but it is.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get one of these:

And wire it to the VTEC solenoid!
Old 01-19-2008, 02:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Boost it.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Jan 19 2008, 12:12 AM
Does anyone know if the VTEC transition with the F22C remains smooth after FI is added?
this is my dyno when i was running stock boost. you can see the dip before VtaK/Boost.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Willie Gee,Jan 19 2008, 10:07 AM
FI enhances VTEC and makes the car pull at that much harder at the top. It takes what was a smooth transition and makes it much more abrupt. Faster though, no question about that. But in a SC application, your power is all at the top.
I figured as much, but not having actually experienced an FI F22C myself, I could only comment on the F20C.

I think it's misleading to say that "all the power is at the top." With the centrifigual blowers it's certailnly true that the peak power is only produced at peak revs, because the boost profile is exponential. However, my base CTSC/AC produces about the same torque at 4,500 RPM that a stock F20C produces right after VTEC engagement. At that speed, the engine is making quite a bit more torque and power than a stock engine, and it difference just grows larger, exponentially, as the revs increase. There is in fact, more power across the top 2/3's of the rev range, starting below VTEC and extending all the way to redline. That's hardly "all at the top." Peak power is at the top, but there is more power throughout the bulk of the power band (and especially above 6k).

Subjectively, the conbination of VTEC and a centrifigual blower on an F20C feels a lot like a strong racing two stroke that is tuned to produce peak power very close to the engine redline. There is a rush of torque as the engine "comes on the pipe," and the rush continues to build until you run out of revs (or in the case of the two stroke, run out of pipe). I love N/A engines that make their peak power near redline, but I like a centrifugual blower that makes its peak torque near redline even more, not becaue it's necessarly quick or fast, but because it's fun.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Enthralled,Jan 19 2008, 06:37 PM
this is my dyno when i was running stock boost. you can see the dip before VtaK/Boost.

Hahaha, if you drop the torque curve down a little, and extend it out to 9k, your torque and power curve would be almost identical to mine. I think I might have a little larger dip in the torque curve just before VTEC (early ECU), but it's very close to the same profile.

Looking at your torque curve at the transition, it looks to me like your "kick" and my "kick" are extremely close in magnitude. LOL, it's sure not something that's easily overlooked.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:40 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't even feel when my vtec kicks in (as in a good tune you should not feel the crossover). I can only feel the turbo spool
Old 01-19-2008, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by afwfjustin,Jan 19 2008, 12:16 AM
Set vtec crossover at 7500 rpms.

Or don't worry about it.
Care to explain the idea behind this? I'm sort of retarded when it comes to under the hood talk >_> My friend tuned his S to engage VTEC at 6000 rpm and I never got the benefit of this besides faster cam wear ... I probably don't know what i'm talking about but I need some explanation

Quick Reply: How do I make vtec hit harder?