S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How do I carry a mountain bike my your S2000?!?

Old 02-21-2002, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I carry a mountain bike my your S2000?!?

I have a Trek Mountain Bike, and I need to figure out how to get it to the trails with out damage to my S2K. Any Ideas
Old 02-21-2002, 10:20 AM

I meant to ask, How do I carry a Mountain Bike in my S2000?!?
(Typo)
Old 02-21-2002, 10:22 AM

There is atleast one company that has been mentioned on this forum that sells an 1 1/4 trailer hitch reciever that you could then attach a bike rack too. They sell those also, do a search for trailer hitches. It doesnt appear to be that bad looking of a solution.
Old 02-21-2002, 10:30 AM

I've had great success with a Thule trunk mount rack, although I carry a 20# road bike only. My only caution in using this rack is that you make sure your trunk lid is well waxed and is absolutely clean before you mount the rack, and that you don't leave the rack on all the time (duh!). I notice that they have changed model numbers since I bought mine (used it on a Lotus Elan which was a plastic body), but it works fine for me.

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.as...pt_id=8&sku=978

Paul
Old 02-21-2002, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The miata guys carry it in the passenger seat with a clamp on the windshield and front bike tire off attached to the clamp. Go to some of these bike shops they might carry roadster clamps for mountain bikes.

Tan
Old 02-21-2002, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.
Old 02-21-2002, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A receiver hitch/rack is the ONLY way to go if you want to avoid any possibility of damaging your S2K's finish. They're also often more stable, so you don't have to slow down as much, and you can lock the rack to the hitch and the bike to the rack, increasing your bike's security when you're not watching it.
Old 02-21-2002, 11:43 AM

Actually I've had zero problems with stability with the trunk mount and that way there is no cost that goes with the car at trade-in time. Flatly stated...the Thule trunk mount rack works just fine with the precautions that I stated. As for security...no doubt about it, the $200 hitch and $250 hitch bike rack offers more security, but if you have a good bike and leave it on the car for any length of time...you're going to lose it (the bike) regardless of the type of mount you buy and the extra cost of the locks for rack to hitch and bike to rack.

This forum is really funny as instead of simply putting out information, many folks like to hunt down and kill...what gives?

In any case enjoy your mountain biking no matter how you manage to get the bike there...in the $130 solution I suggested, the $400+ solution alternately suggested, or the Miata "solution" also suggested. All solutions will conceivably work, all have different costs, and different pros and cons...ultimately the choice is yours and yours alone.

Great cycling and enjoy getting to the cyling start in the S2000....

Paul
Old 02-21-2002, 11:45 AM

Received 771 Likes on 525 Posts

I cycle all over the area including trips to Salisbury for the Seagull Century and to Smyrna, De for Bike to the Bay, etc. I have a Saris Bones 2 bike trunk mounted rack. It has large surface soft rubber mounts and is very stable. Salisbury is 70 miles away and I carry my neighbors bike which puts us at about 40#. I certainly dont speed but I can cruise at 60-65 with no problems. Just have to be very careful that nothing attaches itsellf to the underside of the rubber feet suring storage etc. I wipe it off each time and even tie a cotton towel around the one leg that rests on top of the trunk. They sell for about $99 at most good bike shops and will accommodate your Mt. Bike. Even the clips that fit around the trunk joints are rubber coated. Hope this helps.
Old 02-21-2002, 11:48 AM

Received 771 Likes on 525 Posts

One thing I forgot to mention is that the rack folds and fits in the trunk after you remove the bike while you are riding for total security.

Quick Reply: How do I carry a mountain bike my your S2000?!?