S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How to convince my parents to let me get an s2000?

Old 05-07-2015, 07:12 AM

Received 1,453 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Don't be too thin skinned! If you're a boy in college you're a "college boy" even if you're a statistical outlier from the perceived norm. Insurance risk tables will document the perception is reality. I think there's two college boys considering S2000s. Unless that Mustang was just thrown in the mix.

BTW young soldiers typically display the same "college boy" characteristic although these days we're getting them older. A 19 year old soldier or college boy with a high performance car is pretty much the same. Car crashes are the norm. I worry about the cars.

-- Chuck

No kidding .... I would happy to be a "college boy" again In my mind that is not a derogatory term. I started college at 21, held a 4.0, etc and had no issues being called a college boy throughout the process!
Old 05-07-2015, 07:21 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,245 Likes on 1,087 Posts

I graduated sans laude. Unlike my over-achieving wife and daughter.

-- Chuck
Old 05-07-2015, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phuck your parents and phuck being responsible. YOLO!
Old 05-08-2015, 05:52 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
Originally Posted by Chuck S' timestamp='1426339524' post='23539787
Don't be too thin skinned! If you're a boy in college you're a "college boy" even if you're a statistical outlier from the perceived norm. Insurance risk tables will document the perception is reality. I think there's two college boys considering S2000s. Unless that Mustang was just thrown in the mix.

BTW young soldiers typically display the same "college boy" characteristic although these days we're getting them older. A 19 year old soldier or college boy with a high performance car is pretty much the same. Car crashes are the norm. I worry about the cars.

-- Chuck

No kidding .... I would happy to be a "college boy" again In my mind that is not a derogatory term. I started college at 21, held a 4.0, etc and had no issues being called a college boy throughout the process!
I would love to be a "college boy" again. Stay up late, wake up late. Only responsibility is to go to class and do well in school. Plenty of money loaded on my student ID for Starbucks lattes in the morning and Dominos on Friday nights. I could spend my day daydreaming on the forums without reality having to slap me in the face while I do it. The gym was "free" the dining hall was "free". I was more fit since I walked 2-4 miles a day. Heck I never paid a dime for cereal and fruit for 4 years...of course not everyone had the same college experience. Some better, some worse. But still, college was fun and I'd go back in a heartbeat if I could!
Old 05-08-2015, 11:51 AM

Received 1,453 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Family was fairly low on money, so I had to keep it going from academic scholarships, loans and working when I wasnt in school. So it was extremely busy for me. But I still miss the hell out of it!
Old 05-08-2015, 12:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

To the OP - Just want to say stick with it man. I was in your position once; 19 in college for ME and in love with the S2000 despite already having a reliable DD. I had just gotten a decent job making enough money to where I could have reasonably bought an S2000. I decided to stick with my DD and save as much money as possible. When I graduated I had enough money to put a great down payment on a house and after a year at my first "real" job out of college I was able to buy my S2000 in cash. Still have my DD too! I know it seems forever away, but saving now and focusing on succeeding in college will go a long way once you're out.

Not having a girlfriend will help a ton too, hahaha.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Envious of all you guys who got that college experience, I went straight to working full time at 18...

I also had plenty of RWD experience before buying my s2000 at 20 years old, but honestly, that RWD experience did dick all for me. I've almost wrapped a tree, back when I was 20. I'm lucky I had RWD experience as it's what had me not wrap the tree, but I scared the shit out of myself, as it could have been a lot worse... I didn't keep it on the road in the least lol. RWD and s2000 RWD experience are completely different IMO
Old 11-12-2015, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad was born in the Phillippines and was driving before he got out of elementary school. Im the only person he taught how to drive and was very critical of me when I first started. Not because hes stern or anything he just gets nervous lol. He would teach me how to be safer and plan ahead while driving even when I was blazing through the freeway. He saw how defensive I can be during this huge storm on the longest drive of my life with semi trucks plowing by. He had full faith in me and my ability. He even encouraged me getting an S2000 as my first real car. Im 17 and still in highschool. I was looking for an S before I even got my license.

Found one in NY and Bought it. '01 11k miles. Drove it back.

If you want to convince your parents you have to show them that youre ready for it and will take care of yourself and your things.

Then you should prepare for life living with an S as your primary/largest vehicle. I own two cars. The S and an NA Miata; I know it sounds a little ridiculous, but I dont have to carry anything around that wouldnt fit in either one. Also take into account what the S2000 is. A RWD sports car that lacks some features like traction control. If you live in a mountainous area for college and see some heavy snow another car more suitable for the winter would be a wise Idea, but if your confident that you can handle some inclement weather then your parents will take note of that as well.

In the end do whatever makes you happy. Good Luck Bro and keep us updated!