S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How to convince my parents to let me get an s2000?

Old 03-12-2015, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you finish school and get a good job, you can find a low mileage 2009 s2k easily by the time you are done. Whats the rush?
Its not going to get any older and in 4 years, the 09 model will be alot cheaper too. Patience is key.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:04 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Don't worry Chase, the right S2000 will be available when the right time comes, and right now school should be the primary focus. In fact you could consider the S2000 as a goal as a potential graduation present to yourself. That part of north Texas is prone to severe weather and not having a place to store the S would have been risky at best, and schools are notoriously bad places to leave cars. I think you've made a wise decision to wait, an even better S2000 may be in the future down the road.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:06 PM

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

I bought my S2k my junior year of college (21 at the time). I justified it to myself as "ive always wanted one" and "i better get in now before i have kids." The car didnt affect my studies at all as i would have had a car payment either way. My only complaint was daily driving it in the winter, that sucked. Now im graduated with my engineering degree and have a dd, so the s2k just sits in the garage for the most part because i dont have time to mess with it (possibly another justification to buy it now).
Old 03-12-2015, 05:43 PM

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

there are 3 easy steps.

1. move out of your parent's house
2. get a job
3. take your paycheque and buy the car you want.

your mileage may vary

darcy
Old 03-12-2015, 08:46 PM

Let me know how this goes!! I'm a 19 y/o college student myself and am in the same process. I'd have to sell my 2006 Mustang GT 5 speed (pictured below incase anyone in interested) first and my parents are totally not on board because I've invested a lot of time and money in the car (She used to be a stock baby blue car with an all black interior).

My dad is the biggest roadblock right now, and over my spring break when I go back home I'll finally be able to sit down and show my parents all the information I've gatherted. Since I drive a relativly-new, manual V8 and have a spotless record I can't imagine my insurance rates would differ much. I live in Central / Southeast Texas so I don't think I'll have to worry about changing tires unless severe conditions dictate it. I've done all my research and am looking at 04-05 AP2's because oversteer scares me (also the powerband is more useable around town), but as far as AP1's are concerned I've read that getting an allignment and having more toe and a larger rear stabilizer bar works wonders for stability. I don't drive with TCS on my Mustang now and I consider myself a responsible driver so I don't see not having VSC as a problem.

Aside from saftey ratings, fuel economy (11 mpg on a shoe-string college budget doesn't work anymore), and general S2000 and car knowledge, what else could I bring to the table? I've gotten a few feeler quotes from people on various Mustang and muscle car forums saying I could probably pull 13K for my car due to the high mileage. Do yall have any other ideas...I'm thinking about just having my dad drive one and let the car do the convincing for me

Any help is appreciated! Thanks, guys!
- Andrew

Old 03-12-2015, 10:04 PM

Received 51 Likes on 25 Posts

There is never a right age for some people to transition to a moderately powerful light sports car, just as there is never a wrong time for some others. This is particularly the case in cars that are known to be a bit twitchy. Unfortunately there is only one way to find out into which category you fall.

My son was about your age, & a thousand miles away from home, when I asked him to look at a highly tuned Triumph TR8 for me. With its 4.6L 330 BHP engine, & about 2 hundredweight lighter, it is almost as demanding as an S2000, with a slower steering rack, & narrower rear tyres making it just a little more forgiving.

Well the little bugger bought it for himself. That was 10 years ago, & he is still driving it, trouble free.

He had always driven reasonably powerful RWD ford V8s, so it was not too great a step. I don't make a big deal of the transition from front drive, but if one of my daughters wanted to run the S2000, I would want some type of rev limiter keeping it below 6000 RPM installed. I would not be happy with either of them hitting VTEC on a damp road, until they had a lot more experience.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Old racer
There is never a right age for some people to transition to a moderately powerful light sports car, just as there is never a wrong time for some others. This is particularly the case in cars that are known to be a bit twitchy. Unfortunately there is only one way to find out into which category you fall. My son was about your age, & a thousand miles away from home, when I asked him to look at a highly tuned Triumph TR8 for me. With its 4.6L 330 BHP engine, & about 2 hundredweight lighter, it is almost as demanding as an S2000, with a slower steering rack, & narrower rear tyres making it just a little more forgiving. Well the little bugger bought it for himself. That was 10 years ago, & he is still driving it, trouble free. He had always driven reasonably powerful RWD ford V8s, so it was not too great a step. I don't make a big deal of the transition from front drive, but if one of my daughters wanted to run the S2000, I would want some type of rev limiter keeping it below 6000 RPM installed. I would not be happy with either of them hitting VTEC on a damp road, until they had a lot more experience.
Amen
Old 03-13-2015, 05:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is never a right age for some people to transition to a moderately powerful light sports car, just as there is never a wrong time for some others. This is particularly the case in cars that are known to be a bit twitchy. Unfortunately there is only one way to find out into which category you fall.

My son was about your age, & a thousand miles away from home, when I asked him to look at a highly tuned Triumph TR8 for me. With its 4.6L 330 BHP engine, & about 2 hundredweight lighter, it is almost as demanding as an S2000, with a slower steering rack, & narrower rear tyres making it just a little more forgiving.

Well the little bugger bought it for himself. That was 10 years ago, & he is still driving it, trouble free.

He had always driven reasonably powerful RWD ford V8s, so it was not too great a step. I don't make a big deal of the transition from front drive, but if one of my daughters wanted to run the S2000, I would want some type of rev limiter keeping it below 6000 RPM installed. I would not be happy with either of them hitting VTEC on a damp road, until they had a lot more experience.
Couldn't you just disconnect the VTEC solenoid and tell her not to rev to 6k to keep CEL away?
Old 03-13-2015, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by HUNTERANGEL121

Couldn't you just disconnect the VTEC solenoid and tell her not to rev to 6k to keep CEL away?
Tell a teenager not to rev to 6000 That's a good joke!!!
Old 03-13-2015, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your an adult. If you can afford the car buy it. I would keep the focus and save and wait.

I'm on your parents side sorry.

Quick Reply: How to convince my parents to let me get an s2000?