S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How to convince my parents to let me get an s2000?

Old 03-12-2015, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChaseD95
Originally Posted by HGL1668' timestamp='1426192988' post='23537759
Sorry I didn't make it clear on what I was trying to convey.

My point was that you paid for the focus so you should be able to do whatever you want with it.

Also, I am not saying you cannot afford the focus. I am saying that one can make an argument for anyone on what one can afford and what one cannot afford. I can make a list of things on why one person cannot afford to drive a Focus even thought his annual salary is over $200k.

Unless you are just trolling. lol
It probably didn't help that you said I should be taking the bus lol
When I read it I agreed with him/her and didn't take it that he was insulting you. I read it that you should do whatever you can to save money now, because God knows I look back all the time and think "I shouldn't have been such a numbnuts and bought that..." because when you leave school and are really on your own... there's SOOOO much expense that follows. You could save a lot of money just taking the bus to class (and you really should, if you're living on campus). Just my opinion though.

Edit: and $10.50 is nothing to scoff at in college if you aren't paying for food, rent, utilities, medical bills/doctors visits, children, pets, GIRLFRIEND...., etc. But if you are, it doesn't go far.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is how I argue with my parents:

Me: Mom!? What? A Honda Civic? I thought Dad agreed that I can buy a used 330Ci stick shift.

Mom: Son, you are just going to school with the car. You don't need a fancy one. Who are you trying to impress out there?

Me: Mom, the BMW 330Ci is a safer car. Its German. Plus it is stick shift so I can learn another skill and be more versatile in cars in the future. Also, it is cheaper compare to the civic because it is used.

Mom: Ask dad.

Me: Fine! At the end, you just don't want me to have a safer car and that I should not even be driving a car anyway. Maybe I should just take a bus to school everyday. Ok, That's fine!

Mom: That's not what I meant son.

Me: NO, I get it! I will take the bus!

Mom: Sigh....

I am such a douche child.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by ChaseD95
I was going to sell/trade in the focus
Gotcha. Definitely doable financially then I'm sure.. Still yet, if you do get it, be EXTREMELY cautious until you have a LOT of seat time and preferably some parking lot/track/hpde/autoX time..
Old 03-12-2015, 01:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do your parents hate Honda as much as my dad? Dad thinks the block will crack abs leak coolant. Thinks the car is made out of tin foil.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:19 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

As long as you are responsible (seems like you are) and get some autocross seat time in, I don't think it's a terrible idea. At $12k for the one you're looking at, a 2013 Focus is probably worth the same if not more still, so payments would be the same or less while having far less depreciation with the S2k. That savings in depreciation can be put toward the somewhat higher maintenance of the S2k (tires, top, fluid changes, etc.). I would pay up for a lower deductible on full-coverage insurance ($500 or so), since S2k + college area = asking for trouble.

Definitely get some autocross time though. I autocrossed my old Integra for 10 years, which I owned from age 16-28, and also bought an '01 M5 at 24. Even though I had a lot of experience with a tail-happy FWD Integra and an oversteer-happy M5, it took some time to get to know and trust the S2k, as it is rather unforgiving, especially in the wet. It also lacks the torque to get you out of tricky traffic situations, and has poor visibility with the top up. Don't buy the car and go right out and joyride it on the street with your friends!

As far as convincing your parents, just talk to them about the S2k's lack of depreciation vs. a virtually new Focus, and how it's something you really want that won't really cost you more $$. Tell them that it gets 25-30mpg or so and that's it's very simple and reliable, and pretty safe for what it is (though admittedly not as safe as a new Focus). I doubt they'll be very enthusiastic about it (they have pretty much no reason to be) but since you're making the payments on the Focus anyway, it's ultimately up to you. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:26 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Oh, as far as DDing it (which I have for the past two years):

+Tidy proportions and nimbleness = easy to slip in and out of tight spots (traffic and parking)
+Reliable and pretty decent gas mileage
+Fun to drive even at low speeds due to the tight, quick controls and good feedback (speed limit can feel fast in this car!)

-No torque, and essentially as fast as a Corolla (if that!) below 25mph (when VTEC hits in 1st)
-Noisy... phone calls are difficult at highway speeds
-Practical matters, although personally I almost never encounter an issue with this just going to work and back... it's big enough for groceries and a girl
-Risk of theft, although I don't really worry about that (that's what insurance is for)
-Small + low = people tend to not see you. I remember shortly after getting mine, having to honk multiple times at a Hummer H2 that was about to back into me because he simply couldn't see me
-Tricky wet handling
-Interior storage and stereo suck. Every time I'm wearing business clothes and I have to reach between the seats to get my sunglasses I hate it

It's a good DD *IF* you want something fun, interactive, and sporty (I personally love it). For anyone else it's probably one of the worst DDs you could ask for haha.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:42 PM

I'll just share my experience as a daily driver of S2000 as there are so many good advices given by other people above..

Here is my list of cars that I drove as a daily driver

06 Toyota 4Runner
08 Honda Civic
95 Lexus SC350
06 Acura TL
03 Lexus RX350
08 Honda S2000

So... I have driven range of cars in terms of size. S2000 is undoubtly smallest of all cars I drove.

As driving-wise, car is very stiff (pretty bad if your local roads are crap like mine (LA)), noisy, and stick-shift is hassle for a stop and go traffic. Also cupholder is somewhat let down for me since I carry drinks around a lot. And of course, you can only carry one person. Chances are, you probably will not drive the car when going to some places with friends because you will be on their 4 seater sedans/suv or whatever their car is unless you want to drive alone on your car. (Coming from personal experience)

Also I am a musician and carry guitars around a lot. The trunk of S2000 barely fits one electric guitars in a gig bag. No guitars, including electric guitar, in a hard case won't fit the trunk. Trunk itself has enough space for a few backpacks or any of the kind that can be pushed to fit in. Trunks will not hold most of any kind of boxe shaped things that are solid.

Last thing you should be worrying about is the theft issue. Lot of people already mentioned that you should look out... yes it's true. Car is a theft magnet and there's nothing much you can do to stop the theft if it is targeted. It's best you never park your car outside (anywhere) overnight to be safe or park at a place where there is lot of human traffic. Worrying about where to park everytime you go somewhere can be an issue too.

I drive this car as a daily driver because it was my dream car starting around your current age. The downside of daily driving S2000 is easily forgotten once I get into the car and drive it. But if I had not have option to drive my family's car (an SUV, 5 Door Hatchback and a Cargo Van are choices I have) it would have led me to sell the car for the sake of utility.

You should be thinking S2000 to be more like of a motorcycle... Little bit more cargo space than a motorcycle but should fit the best when it comes to daily driving experience. Highly impractical (outside of fuel consumption) but exciting and fun.

Once you think you can handle some issues, the car is great and I think this car makes you a better driver all around. I understand people worry when young people gets into a sports car and sure S2000 can be twitchy, but if driver is a douche, no car is safe. It is the driver, not the car who makes it safe. I believe it is safer to drive a stick shift sports car where you cannot make a phone call, text, always have to focus on the road, then drive a dull boring 4 door sedan in which you want to call someone or txt someone, not focusing on the driving.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:47 PM

Honestly having a 2 seater when in college can be looked at lowering your possibility of your friends doing dumb shit in your car and getting in trouble with the law. Oh the dumb shit me and all of my friends would do in minivans lol.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by civdaddy
Honestly having a 2 seater when in college can be looked at lowering your possibility of your friends doing dumb shit in your car and getting in trouble with the law. Oh the dumb shit me and all of my friends would do in minivans lol.
Sure, except when campus police pull you over and give you tickets for nonsense. I had one officer pull me over twice in < 24 hours and issue me tickets for crap. Amazing how I went from getting 3-4 tickets/yr to 0 per year after selling the S... and I drove my S like a freaking grandma

It was so bad that when I got my second S (a couple years after graduating) I actually BUDGETED for expected tickets lol. Ironically... I haven't gotten a single one since purchasing my second one and it's been about a year and a half
Old 03-12-2015, 02:12 PM

Alright so I've come to a consensus on what I'm doing. I'm just going to keep the focus and stick it out for the rest of college. I guess I just needed some sense talked into me from some people with experience. I never intended on getting a new car but I decided to go look on Craigslist for the fun of it. After seeing the S with mileage and condition it was in I instantly fell in love and felt like I couldn't pass up the offer. After receiving all the advice, I do understand now that the focus is my best bet. Thank you to everyone that helped out! And hopefully Honda plans on bringing back the S after I graduate in the near future

Quick Reply: How to convince my parents to let me get an s2000?