S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How to convince my parents to let me get an s2000?

Old 03-12-2015, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing you failed to do is to suggest the Focus ST to your parents when they were buying the Focus. That would have been a win-win for you and your parents.

I almost convinced my boss to buy me the Focus ST, but he bought me a Fusion Hybrid. So, its not hard to convince parents.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:24 AM

Here's my own experience for when I was in your shoes. The S2000 came out while I was in high school and I immediately was salivating over it. It didn't help matters that they soon started showing up at auto-crosses and I could see them in the flesh. Sadly at that time, I only had a beat up Buick while in high school. I would go to auto-crosses just to see the cars and watch them run. In college I wanted a S2K badly, but instead got a used Miata as I knew if something happened to it, it wouldn't hurt as bad, and I could also participate in Auto-cross still. I was very glad I made this decision. It didn't take long before I had a ripped roof, stolen radio, dented up doors, cracked bumper from someone backing up into it (most likely a ditz or a drunk). The S2000 was a great motivator for me in college. I busted butt through school and bought my S2000 about a year after graduation. It made the ownership experience of this car that much sweeter.

EDIT: I see you mention that you aren't as worried because you will soon move into a apartment. I wouldn't let that stop me from worrying. My slashed roof and stolen radio were done in a apartment complex. Also while in the apartments, someone silly strings the crap out of it, and then it rains overnight on it. It stained the crap out of the top. I suspect this last part was due to it being a miata and had that "stigma" to it that attracted that kind of attention.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChaseD95
Thanks for all the advice everyone! Just an update on my current situation, I did put my focus on Craigslist to test the waters and am getting offers up to $13k for it so financiability isn't an issue at this point. The problem is the practicality behind owning an S as a daily in college, for I live in a dorm and have my car parked a lot of the times. However, I will be moving into an apartment next year so commuting will be thing. My dad doesn't trust the car because he doesn't know anything about it. The one I'm looking into is in pristine condition, low miles, and shouldn't have any mechanical issues. Once again, I feel like it's just as dependable as the focus and should last throughout college with no problems. Any opinions on an S as a daily?
Yes but it sounds to me like you're banking on it not having any issues. This is an expensive car to repair, despite it being a Honda.

I want you to picture this: you park your car at your apartment every day in a "nice neighborhood." Once day, you say "eh, I'll leave my car in the parking lot at school overnight because I've had one too many drinks at the local bar (smart decision, not driving drunk). You come back the next day and your top is slashed and you seats are stolen. BOOM. $4,500+ repair. Maybe you have a $500 or $1,000 deductible, if you get full coverage (which, God help you, you need to get).

Or how about like what happened to me? Mid June in South Carolina I'm on my way back from North Carolina to my house and I'm on the highway and the sky goes dark and BAM... MAJOR HAIL STORM. It was over $6,000 in damages. Luckily I had full coverage ("comprehensive" coverage). But that was a cool $1,000 gone.

Sure you could "just get comprehensive coverage"... but it's expensive on these cars because parts are not cheap. And frankly, stolen seats are a huge problem.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by HGL1668
One thing you failed to do is to suggest the Focus ST to your parents when they were buying the Focus. That would have been a win-win for you and your parents.

I almost convinced my boss to buy me the Focus ST, but he bought me a Fusion Hybrid. So, its not hard to convince parents.
Well I make all payments for myself including insurance which would've been a pain for the ST since it's recently new. I would love to own an ST!
Old 03-12-2015, 11:39 AM

If you are paying for your stuff, drive whatever the hell you want. Because I can argue that you cannot even afford to drive a Ford Focus. You should be taking the bus.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:02 PM

If you are paying for your stuff, drive whatever the hell you want. Because I can argue that you cannot even afford to drive a Ford Focus. You should be taking the bus.
I'm Sure glad you know more of my life than I do. I found the car almost 50% off and am financing it with no problems. I worked hard to raise my wage to $10.50/hr. I'd appreciate if it you didn't assume that I was some naive teenager.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:38 PM

I'm Sure glad you know more of my life than I do. I found the car almost 50% off and am financing it with no problems. I worked hard to raise my wage to $10.50/hr. I'd appreciate if it you didn't assume that I was some naive teenager.
10.50/hr and you're gonna afford a car payment AND the S (and likely payment)? Not trying to bash you, I respect your desire here, as I was driving a Saturn Redline coupe at 19 and wanted ANY number of 30k RwD sports cars that my dad would have no part in... However, driving the S is NOT gonna be cheap as a daily, in comparison to your current DD. Factor that. Also, looking back, now that I'm 28, I wouldn't be here if I had the S at 19..
Old 03-12-2015, 12:43 PM

Sorry I didn't make it clear on what I was trying to convey.

My point was that you paid for the focus so you should be able to do whatever you want with it.

Also, I am not saying you cannot afford the focus. I am saying that one can make an argument for anyone on what one can afford and what one cannot afford. I can make a list of things on why one person cannot afford to drive a Focus even thought his annual salary is over $200k.

Unless you are just trolling. lol
Old 03-12-2015, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by AP1Driver
10.50/hr and you're gonna afford a car payment AND the S (and likely payment)? Not trying to bash you, I respect your desire here, as I was driving a Saturn Redline coupe at 19 and wanted ANY number of 30k RwD sports cars that my dad would have no part in... However, driving the S is NOT gonna be cheap as a daily, in comparison to your current DD. Factor that. Also, looking back, now that I'm 28, I wouldn't be here if I had the S at 19..
I was going to sell/trade in the focus
Old 03-12-2015, 12:45 PM

Sorry I didn't make it clear on what I was trying to convey.

My point was that you paid for the focus so you should be able to do whatever you want with it.

Also, I am not saying you cannot afford the focus. I am saying that one can make an argument for anyone on what one can afford and what one cannot afford. I can make a list of things on why one person cannot afford to drive a Focus even thought his annual salary is over $200k.

Unless you are just trolling. lol
It probably didn't help that you said I should be taking the bus lol

Quick Reply: How to convince my parents to let me get an s2000?