S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How to convince my parents to let me get an s2000?

Old 03-12-2015, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Green_AP1
Wow, what a topic.

before anyone here trying to tell you how to convince your parents let me tell you my story.

I turned 24 years old few month ago, I became a proud S2k owner about 1 year ago.

I had very similar experience with you before my s2k, right out of high school my parents used their credit and bought me Toyota out the door with $0 down, 0% APR, i made all the payment for the car and insurance, however my passion for cars never when away. I been wanting a s2k since freshmen year in high school, i never tried to convince my parents to ALLOW me to get a different car. I'm sure your parents want the best for you. Instead of try to convince them, why not show them you are able to make plans for yourself.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not asking you to disobey your parents but growing up and taking responsibility for yourself can not only be shown buy work endlessly and tirelessly to make some money just for your car, trust me been there, it might worth it at the moment but, in the long run you will feel you wasted a lot of time.

well, bottom line thinking about convincing might not be a good idea at the moment, as you work harder for your dream in ALL aspect of life very soon you will notice your parents will need less and less "convincing" but more letting you do your thing.

Hope this helps from someone who was in the same shoe.

good luck!
Green
If I had the guts to go make the deal on my own I would. I just respect my parents too much lol
Old 03-12-2015, 03:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So who got the Ford Focus for you? If your parents paid for it at all, they kind of have precedence to tell you what you can and can't do with it. If you paid and are paying for it 100% yourself, then it's not really their decision anymore.

Speaking on more practical terms, the S2000 is difficult as an only car. It only has two seats and the trunk is a modest size at best. I know personally that in college there were just too many situations where I needed to haul a large amount of stuff that simply would not have fit an S2000. In my opinion, this car really only makes sense if you have access to a larger vehicle when you need it.

My advice would be to plan on keeping the Focus for a while, save up, then buy the S2000 yourself when you've saved up enough and have a solid job to support it.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by ChaseD95
I used to drive a firebird so I'm aware of rwd/traction capabilities. My focus has a manual transmission so I do have experience in that field. I got the car quoted for $150/month for full coverage which is about the same as my focus. I believe in myself as a highly competent driver. 3 years with no at-fault accidents/tickets. I'm not necessarily buying the car just to go fast but for the fact that it's an engineering masterpiece. I understand I need to focus on school and a social life, but I just feel that I'll be financially sound if I do go through with this investment. And I know I'm just a crazy teenager but it's just the urge is so hard to fight. Thanks for the advice
You are REALLY good with words! You would have convinced me!

If I had the guts to go make the deal on my own I would. I just respect my parents too much lol
You are a good kid..

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
So who got the Ford Focus for you? If your parents paid for it at all, they kind of have precedence to tell you what you can and can't do with it. If you paid and are paying for it 100% yourself, then it's not really their decision anymore.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I'm a 19 year old in college. I found a 2005 s2000 with 91k miles (not bad for a Honda) in excellent condition. However, the only problem is that I have a recently new 2013 Ford Focus with 20k miles that my parents won't let me get rid of for the s2000. Since I was 16, I worked, saved up money for a down payment, and am currently paying off the focus. I make good grades in school and believe that I'm highly responsible for my age. I don't ask for much, plus I make my own money, but I really want this s2000. Now I already know you're thinking: "typical teenager begging for a sports car they don't need." But I've done my research and know that the s2000 is highly reliable and will last me throughout college and then some. The s2k is more affordable than the focus, and considering longevity, the focus is of cheaper quality and probably won't do well in the long run. I feel like I wouldn't lose much or anything at all by ditching the focus and grabbing the s2000, but my parents believe otherwise. I'm just not sure how to persuade them to allow me to buy the car
did you pay for the focus or your parents?

if you bought the focus yourself I'm not understanding why you just don't sell it, then buy an s2000...
Old 03-12-2015, 04:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's funny how everyone is offering advice (mostly to keep the Focus), but no one actually answered your question. To convince your parents, you need to first find out why they are opposed to this. Your arguments sound reasonable and sincere, but might not be their primary concerns. If you've got a sibling, maybe he or she can get this information for you. Maybe the only reason they don't like this idea is because they think they'll take a big financial hit on selling a relatively new car. If that's the case, you need to show how holding onto the Focus will continue to lose money, while an S2k will hold its value or maybe even appreciate. Or they might be opposed for a lot of other reasons. My advice is to find this out first and come back to us so we can help with your argument. By the way, I'm a parent of a 22 year old college student who bought a Miata a couple of years ago and is very happy with the decision. Life's short. Why delay your dreams?
Old 03-12-2015, 04:56 AM
Community Organizer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Like the others have said above, if the Focus is yours then do what you wish!

But if your parents are helping you pay for it then you'll have no choice but to save up your money and be patient
Old 03-12-2015, 04:56 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I dont understand at 19 years old why you need your parents permission unless they are paying for a bunch of stuff for you still. I'd convince them by showing them, as you've already seemingly done, that you're a big boy now and can make your own adult decisions. jm2c.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We can't tell you or anyone how to convince their parents. You know your parents. You have a better idea of what their specific concerns are and need to use that to see if you can address them. It's the same as solving any sort of problem -- randomly throwing solutions at the problem is rarely the most effective approach.

In any case, the Focus is certainly a reliable car and I'd also suggest using it through college and worrying about getting the car you want later on. There's plenty of time to buy cars in your life and college will be over before you know it.

I understand I need to focus on school and a social life, but I just feel that I'll be financially sound if I do go through with this investment.
If you think a depreciating asset is an investment then you're not making financially sound decisions.

Originally Posted by HUNTERANGEL121
He won't necessarily wreck it if he drives it like a human being.
I'm not arguing this point one way or the other but human beings wreck cars all the time.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:03 AM

Do what Nike says. it's the only way with strict parents.

hope my son doesn't read this..
Old 03-12-2015, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're 19, that means you can make your own decisions. I bought a turbo Supra when I was 19, I didn't see any need to ask anyone's permission. It may have been foolish and the insurance was outrageous but it was fun!

Quick Reply: How to convince my parents to let me get an s2000?