S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How to convince my parents to let me get an s2000?

Old 03-11-2015, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to convince my parents to let me get an s2000?

So I'm a 19 year old in college. I found a 2005 s2000 with 91k miles (not bad for a Honda) in excellent condition. However, the only problem is that I have a recently new 2013 Ford Focus with 20k miles that my parents won't let me get rid of for the s2000. Since I was 16, I worked, saved up money for a down payment, and am currently paying off the focus. I make good grades in school and believe that I'm highly responsible for my age. I don't ask for much, plus I make my own money, but I really want this s2000. Now I already know you're thinking: "typical teenager begging for a sports car they don't need." But I've done my research and know that the s2000 is highly reliable and will last me throughout college and then some. The s2k is more affordable than the focus, and considering longevity, the focus is of cheaper quality and probably won't do well in the long run. I feel like I wouldn't lose much or anything at all by ditching the focus and grabbing the s2000, but my parents believe otherwise. I'm just not sure how to persuade them to allow me to buy the car
Old 03-11-2015, 11:11 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Did you also research into the RWD aspect of the car, coupled with a manual transmission and lack of VSA/traction control?

And the cost of insurance? And summer vs. winter tires? And insurance for a 19 year old?

Barring the fact that you'll probably crash the car, there are a million threads on here advising people in your situation and age group to step back and make a wise financial decision. I think you know what the right answer is.

My $0.02? Focus on college, concentrate on your grades, throw in some partying, meet new people, get laid, and learn new things. Save as much money as you can and try to graduate without student loans. Pick a solid major, not a bullshit major, so you can get a legit job after you graduate. Then get your first job and get an s2000.

This is your chance to set yourself up for success, for your whole life, so get your priorities straight and f@#k the car for now. It's just a car, and will be there when the time is right. Good luck!
Old 03-11-2015, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by HarryD
Did you also research into the RWD aspect of the car, coupled with a manual transmission and lack of VSA/traction control?

And the cost of insurance? And summer vs. winter tires? And insurance for a 19 year old?

Barring the fact that you'll probably crash the car, there are a million threads on here advising people in your situation and age group to step back and make a wise financial decision. I think you know what the right answer is.

My $0.02? Focus on college, concentrate on your grades, throw in some partying, meet new people, get laid, and learn new things. Save as much money as you can and try to graduate without student loans. Pick a solid major, not a bullshit major, so you can get a legit job after you graduate. Then get your first job and get an s2000.

This is your chance to set yourself up for success, for your whole life, so get your priorities straight and f@#k the car for now. It's just a car, and will be there when the time is right. Good luck!
As a 27 yr old who did exactly as Harry described here, I cannot agree with him more. Always loved cars and wanted a sports car since 16. Parents never allowed it. I had a boring sedan throughout college. Got a degree in engineering. Graduated without any car issues and without student loan. Got my first job, and on the 3rd day of employment got myself a miata, on which i learned MT. After a year of ownership, I bought a 05 S2000 with 45000 miles on it. Sold the miata soon after.

A degree with a solid major, no student loan, and decent paying job all contribute to having no financial burden to own an S2000. Having no accident or ticket history, i pay $40 a month on insurance for full coverage. I also track my car, which is pricey, but having a full time job allows for an expensive hobby. It also makes me a much better driver, who can handle the RWD.

Please do yourself a favor and invest the next 4 years of your life for your future career. 23 yr old is never too late to start actually owning a car you love. This will also keep another S from being wrecked.. There are only so many left now, ya know?
Old 03-11-2015, 11:58 PM

I used to drive a firebird so I'm aware of rwd/traction capabilities. My focus has a manual transmission so I do have experience in that field. I got the car quoted for $150/month for full coverage which is about the same as my focus. I believe in myself as a highly competent driver. 3 years with no at-fault accidents/tickets. I'm not necessarily buying the car just to go fast but for the fact that it's an engineering masterpiece. I understand I need to focus on school and a social life, but I just feel that I'll be financially sound if I do go through with this investment. And I know I'm just a crazy teenager but it's just the urge is so hard to fight. Thanks for the advice
Old 03-12-2015, 01:09 AM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

No one on here is Gona tell u to get an s2k till u graduate. Stick to ur focus
Old 03-12-2015, 02:26 AM

Wow, what a topic.

before anyone here trying to tell you how to convince your parents let me tell you my story.

I turned 24 years old few month ago, I became a proud S2k owner about 1 year ago.

I had very similar experience with you before my s2k, right out of high school my parents used their credit and bought me Toyota out the door with $0 down, 0% APR, i made all the payment for the car and insurance, however my passion for cars never when away. I been wanting a s2k since freshmen year in high school, i never tried to convince my parents to ALLOW me to get a different car. I'm sure your parents want the best for you. Instead of try to convince them, why not show them you are able to make plans for yourself.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not asking you to disobey your parents but growing up and taking responsibility for yourself can not only be shown buy work endlessly and tirelessly to make some money just for your car, trust me been there, it might worth it at the moment but, in the long run you will feel you wasted a lot of time.

well, bottom line thinking about convincing might not be a good idea at the moment, as you work harder for your dream in ALL aspect of life very soon you will notice your parents will need less and less "convincing" but more letting you do your thing.

Hope this helps from someone who was in the same shoe.

good luck!
Green
Old 03-12-2015, 02:38 AM

I can't talk.. I purchased my s2000 when I was 19. Supercharged it when I turned 23. I'm now 29 I haven't driven my car in two years.Going Turbo and also getting married took up a lot of my time. My advice is you only live once.. if you can get now do it, they are getting older and also the chances of finding one with low miles is gonna get rare soon enough.

But the advice given above is worth thinking about! What you do now affects what you'll be doing tomorrow. Be wise, make the right choices.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 19 as well. I bought my AP1 when I was 18. I worked my ass off washing dishes for two years, saving every damn cent I could while I was in high school. Right before graduation, I found the car S2000 I wanted, which to be honest, I think I jumped the gun on and should've looked around a little more, but I still wouldn't trade it for another one. I feel the same way manny-s2000 does. I felt the way he did. I seized the damn day like Robin William's taught me to back when I watched Dead Poets Society for the first time. But I also was aware of how freaking expensive they are. I did tons and tons of research through this forum, learned all of the common issues, calculated costs that I'd have to deal with if the car were to implode. I took a lot of things into consideration before I bought one. Just be aware that anything could go wrong; if you have a back up plan already, then do what you deem necessary. Just don't get too over your head.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by superbrand0n
I'm 19 as well. I bought my AP1 when I was 18. I worked my ass off washing dishes for two years, saving every damn cent I could while I was in high school. Right before graduation, I found the car S2000 I wanted, which to be honest, I think I jumped the gun on and should've looked around a little more, but I still wouldn't trade it for another one. I feel the same way manny-s2000 does. I felt the way he did. I seized the damn day like Robin William's taught me to back when I watched Dead Poets Society for the first time. But I also was aware of how freaking expensive they are. I did tons and tons of research through this forum, learned all of the common issues, calculated costs that I'd have to deal with if the car were to implode. I took a lot of things into consideration before I bought one. Just be aware that anything could go wrong; if you have a back up plan already, then do what you deem necessary. Just don't get too over your head.
Believe me when I say I've done the research. It's a 2005 with 91k miles for only $12k which seems like a steal considering its in excellent condition with mileage like that. From what the seller has told me the only thing that should be done is adjusting the valves which shouldn't be too complicated. He's an older fellow who's never abused/molested it and has kept up with maintenance/service. I went to the Honda website to look at the maintenance schedule so I'm aware of what's to come. With an offer like this it's almost impossible to refuse!
Old 03-12-2015, 03:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He won't necessarily wreck it if he drives it like a human being... Its an ap2. Most threads with wrecks where they completely slide off the road are ap1s. Like that gpw ap1 that a taxi changed lanes into it.

Question about insurance... If you run snapshot from progressive. Wouldn't it based on how you drive? So in other words, drive like a pussy for 6 months and take it off once in a while to go auto crossing lol.

But since your car is so new. Since typing this reply I already forgot what kind it was(IB auto and people distracting me, and since it doesn't save the draft I don't feel like closing the reply field)
I'd keep it for a year or two and sell it later.

[EDIT]
Cant you find a recall, exaggerate it and do what my brother did? Print out a thread talking about said issue, and prove that the Honda will last forever?

Quick Reply: How to convince my parents to let me get an s2000?