S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How are bilstein coilovers and its shock adj. that important?

Old 07-01-2001, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How are bilstein coilovers and its shock adj. that important?

http://www.topnotchauto.com/body_coilovers.html
Old 07-01-2001, 08:23 PM

there are a few things to consider when purchasing coilover systems, and what i have to say covers most of the emails i do get:

- there are 2 types of "coilover" systems: one type being what are typically called the sleeve and spring coilover kit.

you basically cut open your stock struts (shocks) and insert the tube into this setup and voila! instant adjustable ride height capability. these are very inexpensive, but it may not fit the bill for some.

the other type is what i call complete coilover kit

these kits come with (usually) highly engineered and matched shocks/struts (or dampers, if you will) to go with the matched springs.

among the complete coilover kits, there are also distinct differences: high end suspension systems like the Zeal B6 depicted above will allow you a host of adjustability: 6 way damper adjustment, ride height adjustment, and most importantly (in my opinion) spring rate adjustment INDEPENDENT of the ride height adjustment. lower end kits usually don't offer the host of adjustability, and so when you lower your car you may also end up changing the spring rate, or no damper adjustability, so on and so forth.

each system has its own benefits and drawbacks, the high end system, for example, is rather expensive, and may not apply to your needs. people like Nick, Jason, Chris, UL, and a host of others who race on the track or demand nothing but the finest from their ride because of their requirements or driving experiences may not be satisfied with your simple sleeve and spring sets, but some people who are only looking for minor adjustability may be perfectly satisfied with the sleeve/spring kits. some people go for the compromise and go for the bilsteins, H&Rs, or the Zeal B2s. whatever your requirements are, i can assure you there are companies out there to cater to your needs, you just need to figure out what your needs are. that's the fun part of modding your car, and that is why it's called "CUSTOMIZATION".

hope that helped.
Old 07-02-2001, 08:56 PM

Thanks
Old 07-02-2001, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by Typer_00
Thanks
anytime