S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How bad is this?

Old 04-26-2007, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow How bad is this?

After hearing people on the board talk about there dual HKS HI-power exhausts have two resonators I decided to check out mine. I jacked the car up and was shocked to see I had one honda muffler probably where one resonator goes. The other side of the stock exhaust looks like it was capped off. One pipe is going toward the other side and just looked capped. The rest of the exhaust has just the Y pipe and two HKS Hi Power mufflers. What a big surprise because all this time I thought I had a true HKS. I think it even sounds pretty good like the other HKS exhaust sound clips running around.

Can I just have a straight pipe put on where the honda muffler is? What else can I do besides getting a whole new exhaust.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1f53cea...854003e2abf.htm

Here is a sound clip of my exhaust now. Not the greatest quality but gives you an idea how it sounds. It is a bit deeper driver around. This vid is with the test pipe and header.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:52 PM

you never looked under your car before?

April Fools?
Old 04-26-2007, 04:56 PM

I'm having trouble visualizing this. Got any pics?
Old 04-26-2007, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by bighead2,Apr 26 2007, 04:52 PM
you never looked under your car before?

April Fools?
I wish it was April Fools. I have looked under it but never close enough to notice the Honda writing on the small muffler in the middle. I always thought it was just some type of resonator.

It is like they left all the original piping and muffler, on the right side after the test pipe.

I won't be able to snap pics until this weekend.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Translation: "I got an OEM exhaust except for two HKS N1 mufflers from the axle back"

Explanation: The "capped off" part is the Helmholtz resonator. You're probably putting down as much WHP as a full cat back HKS system. If you're happy with the sound, leave it be.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by mister x,Apr 26 2007, 05:05 PM
Translation: "I got an OEM exhaust except for two HKS N1 mufflers from the axle back"

Explanation: The "capped off" part is the Helmholtz resonator. You're probably putting down as much WHP as a full cat back HKS system. If you're happy with the sound, leave it be.
Well said my friend. So I should not be losing any power with the extra muffler in the middle? I am pretty happy with the sound just wondered what would happen if I put a straight pipe in place of the honda muffler? Any performance gains or major change in sound?

Thanks for the translation.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree. Leave it as is. This is no doubt a "custom" job which could be as good or better than full HKS. After all it does appear someone went tthrough the extra expense to have this done.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by JackS,Apr 26 2007, 05:13 PM
I agree. Leave it as is. This is no doubt a "custom" job which could be as good or better than full HKS. After all it does appear someone went tthrough the extra expense to have this done.
Okay that makes me feel better. I will post up some pics this weekend just so you guys can see exactly what I'm talking about. Maybe some better sound clips too.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Kenpo_S2000,Apr 26 2007, 06:05 PM
After hearing people on the board talk about there dual HKS HI-power exhausts have two resonators I decided to check out mine. I jacked the car up and was shocked to see I had one honda muffler probably where one resonator goes. The other side of the stock exhaust looks like it was capped off. One pipe is going toward the other side and just looked capped. The rest of the exhaust has just the Y pipe and two HKS Hi Power mufflers. What a big surprise because all this time I thought I had a true HKS. I think it even sounds pretty good like the other HKS exhaust sound clips running around.

Can I just have a straight pipe put on where the honda muffler is? What else can I do besides getting a whole new exhaust.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1f53cea...854003e2abf.htm

Here is a sound clip of my exhaust now. Not the greatest quality but gives you an idea how it sounds. It is a bit deeper driver around. This vid is with the test pipe and header.
Kenpo....not sure what it is you are talking about here...maybe you should post some pics of the exhaust.

You are not going to see any gains from swapping exhausts...unless you go to a single exhaust....and then, most of the gain in performance will be due to less weight....if you are happy with the sound, that is all that matters...
Old 04-27-2007, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by JackS,Apr 26 2007, 09:13 PM
lol, just because someone had it done doesn't mean that someone isn't an idiot. that muffler is creating all types of bottlenecks I'm sure.

Quick Reply: How bad is this?