S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How to accelerate smoothly?

Old 11-30-2006, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smurf2k,Nov 30 2006, 10:05 PM
its not the S2k.. its any car.. in a low gear , if you completely off the throttle, and get back on , itll jerk... unless you are very gentle with your throttle application.

if its a s2k specific, then check plugs, plug wires, distributor, etc.. ignition stuff like that. drive a diff car to see if its you or the car thats at fautl
I don't know... I drive in 1st gear through my apartment complex all the time because of our speed mountains- er, bumps. I never have a problem getting back on the throttle smoothly unless I'm at something like 1500 RPM. If the guy has enough finess to change gears smoothly, I'm sure he should be able to ease onto the throttle in these situations.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smurf2k,Dec 1 2006, 12:05 AM
if its a s2k specific, then check plugs, plug wires, distributor, etc.. ignition stuff like that.
Don't forget the air filter.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OCMusicJunkie,Dec 1 2006, 01:20 AM
I don't know... I drive in 1st gear through my apartment complex all the time because of our speed mountains- er, bumps. I never have a problem getting back on the throttle smoothly unless I'm at something like 1500 RPM. If the guy has enough finess to change gears smoothly, I'm sure he should be able to ease onto the throttle in these situations.
Yea although I usually drive around in 2cnd in my apartment and never have a jerking problem.

I do however have a slight jerking problem in 1st if its cold.

On the street sometimes which I guess I should try and document but sometimes if I'm cruising in 1st or 2cnd it will jerk
Old 12-01-2006, 06:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

After reading this I did some experimenting last night. If I apply gas or take my foot off the gas suddenly from about 3,300rpm or lower I can make the car buck. Its all about lifting your foot gradually, or applying gas slowly.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by OCMusicJunkie,Dec 1 2006, 12:20 AM
"smooth" is relative. you dont have problems because youre an experienced driver. thats why when you see brand new drivers to stick theyre always bucking really bad even after the gears are fully engaged. for us its natural to not go full on-off-on the gas at low speeds but instead to ease it.. though we dont think much about it. in gears 1 and 2 there is a TON of torque applied to the wheels .. with manual its bound to jerk yet in autos you can do it all day
Old 12-01-2006, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by chuhsi,Dec 1 2006, 12:53 AM
I appreciate all the advice!

I'm going to a Speedventures racing event in two weeks so I'll have a chance to have some S2000 experts drive my car.

So to be more specific about my problem...
- Only happens in 1st and 2nd gear...3rd sometimes..4/5/6 never
- I'm already in gear so it's not a shifting issue
- If I'm cruising steadily at almost any speed/rpm in 1st or 2nd, then try to accelerate moderately, my car almost always bucks forward then backward a little before accelerating.
- So imagine I'm cruising 20mph in 2nd gear at 3k rpm...if I'm very careful, I can accelerate slowly and smoothly. But if I push the pedal 1/4 of the way down to accelerate faster than grandma, it'll buck once before accelerating. Same thing if I all of a sudden go WOT.

So far, I'm chalking this up as my car's personality...like the rattling air bag cover
Since you only see the problem in the lower gears I'm inclined to think that it's a driver issue, but unfortunately there is no way to be sure. You should be able to open the throttle quickly, but smoothly (think of *squeezing* the gas pedal) without any bucking. I'd take my car out and try to duplicate your problem, but bucking is hard on the car and this is one thing I'm actually afraid to try.

If I were you, I would not wait two weeks for the Speedventures event. I'd take the car to a Honda dealer or some else who knows how to drive a stick well, and ask them to drive the car while I rode along. If they have the problem too, then it's probably the car, otherwise it's probably the driver. Surely you know someone who is experienced in driving a stick shift.

FWIW, the car is not any more or less prone to bucking than other cars, and the air bag cover shouldn't rattle either.

Be sure to keep us posted. I really want to know whether this is a driver problem or a problem with the car.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:48 PM

[QUOTE=smurf2k,Dec 1 2006, 01:35 PM]"smooth" is relative.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I loosened the throttle cable a little this morning and it helped. I get less 1st and 2nd gear bucking, probably because it's easier for me to be smooth on the gas.

I'll have someone drive my car soon and see if they notice anything strange. I'm getting a tech inspection soon for the Speedventure event so I'll have the mechanic drive the car.

When I brought my car to a Honda dealer, I sat with the tech as he was driving and he said it was all normal. The problem is that I don't believe anything Honda tells me.

Overall, I'm still leaning towards driver error.

Thanks again for all the help. Will keep you posted.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Dec 1 2006, 03:48 PM
One of the reasons it is so hard to figure out this kind of issue sometimes is because after driving a stick for years we start doing lots of things hibatually without even thinking about them. Right after we got our Miata I modified the intake and exhaust system, and as a result the car started backfiring when I'd shift gears. After driving the car for a week or so I had modified my shifting technique to avoid the backfire, and to this day I don't know what I changed. That was back in 1991, and I didn't hear the little car backfire again until 2004. We went to the first SESM, and since only two of us could ride in the Honda, my wife drove the Miata. Poor Marg, every time she shifted gears, the car backfired, and I couldn't tell her what I did to avoind it (because I don't really know). In that case I was right there with her, and had even experienced the problem myself, and found a workaround, but I STILL couldn't come up with anything helpful. In cases like this, where I haven't seen the problem and can't drive the car it almost seems hopeless.

Interestingly, our cars do produce almost exactly one ton of axle torque (peak) in first gear.
same thing with the "notchiness" or lump in the shifting in ap2s... bugged me for a week or 2 until i changed my habits !
Old 12-01-2006, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by smurf2k,Dec 1 2006, 07:07 PM
same thing with the "notchiness" or lump in the shifting in ap2s... bugged me for a week or 2 until i changed my habits !
I grew up driving British roadsters that had a very similar feel, so for me the S2000 shifter felt quite natural. The thing that gave me trouble at first was a function of the light flywheel, and it took me some practice to modify my "technique" enough to get smooth launches consistently.

Every car requires some adjustment.

Quick Reply: How to accelerate smoothly?