S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How to accelerate smoothly?

Old 11-30-2006, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take it to 9k and shift you wont have those problems
Old 11-30-2006, 03:24 PM

Yea I realized that sometimes my shifts to 1-3 are jerky and sometimes they're silky smooth. Also sometimes I do get that jerky acceleration although since I shift fast and usually don't shift until like 6k I don't have that prob as much unless its the morning.

I just today found the release point for the clutch so I can take off smoothly in first lol after having it for 3wks
Old 11-30-2006, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by chuhsi,Nov 30 2006, 12:15 PM
I apologize in advance for my Noob question.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to accelerate smoothly when in 1st or 2nd gear? For example, if I'm in 2nd gear and driving a steady 20mph, how do I get on the gas and not have the car buck once before accelerating?

Is this just a feature of the car? Is my throttle cable too tight?

After more than 15k miles, I still can't accelerate smoothly
Interesting.

Because of another thread I've been watching my shift points and such today, and I don't have any problem getting the car to pull away smoothly, even at 2,500-3,000 RPM in sixth gear. My old AP1 never bucks, even pulling from idle (about 1,000 RPM) in first (which I rarely do, becuase the car *can* buck pretty easily just off idle). Your car should be even less prone to bucking, because you have a heavier flywheel (and more low end torque). I don't know that there is any "trick" to it; I just tip the throttle in gently and smoothly, and the car pulls away nicely.

This car (or at least my car) rewards smooth inputs.

At what speeds does the car buck?
Old 11-30-2006, 05:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

It's not a technical problem of any kind, it's error.

You need to have a heavy foot to drive this car. The "bucking" you're describing happens when your foot comes on and off the gas pedal quickly, often without you noticing. Next time you drive it, make a point to plant your foot where you want it to be on the accellerator and see what happens
Old 11-30-2006, 06:12 PM
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

Not much UTH here, moving to S2000 talk.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It is possible that the OP has an actual problem with his car, you should find someone local with some time in an S2K to drive with you to see if it's your technique or your car.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainMike,Nov 30 2006, 11:21 PM
It is possible that the OP has an actual problem with his car, you should find someone local with some time in an S2K to drive with you to see if it's your technique or your car.
That's why I asked about the speeds at which he's experiencing the bucking. Looking for more clues before I jump to too many conclusions.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I appreciate all the advice!

I'm going to a Speedventures racing event in two weeks so I'll have a chance to have some S2000 experts drive my car.

So to be more specific about my problem...
- Only happens in 1st and 2nd gear...3rd sometimes..4/5/6 never
- I'm already in gear so it's not a shifting issue
- If I'm cruising steadily at almost any speed/rpm in 1st or 2nd, then try to accelerate moderately, my car almost always bucks forward then backward a little before accelerating.
- So imagine I'm cruising 20mph in 2nd gear at 3k rpm...if I'm very careful, I can accelerate slowly and smoothly. But if I push the pedal 1/4 of the way down to accelerate faster than grandma, it'll buck once before accelerating. Same thing if I all of a sudden go WOT.

So far, I'm chalking this up as my car's personality...like the rattling air bag cover
Old 11-30-2006, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should have another owner from your area test drive your car and see if this is "normal" or not. Everyone seems quick to dismiss this as a n00b driver, as 95% of "shifting" issues are driver error... but if this is happening the way you explain, it's pretty clear something could be wrong.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:05 PM

its not the S2k.. its any car.. in a low gear , if you completely off the throttle, and get back on , itll jerk... unless you are very gentle with your throttle application.

if its a s2k specific, then check plugs, plug wires, distributor, etc.. ignition stuff like that. drive a diff car to see if its you or the car thats at fautl

Quick Reply: How to accelerate smoothly?