S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Hot days my S doesn't want move

Old 07-23-2003, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot days my S doesn't want move

As u all know... On hot summer days our car seems, it doesn't want move...
anyone has solution to that? Any suggestions on cooling cooling? so our cars won't be slow as civics on hot days...
Old 07-23-2003, 03:55 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

HI Rick...I live on the S tip of Florida where it's hot n humid all the time.. I haven't experienced heat soak yet even with my SC. You may have a problem thats causing it. It will be interesting to see what ideas some of the others have.

bump

fltsfshr
Old 07-23-2003, 04:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've never tried this before, but place some ice packs in the airbox (the kind you can put in the freezer to freeze and can be reused). as the air enters the airbox, it'll get cooled down. don't know how long the packs will last though. give it a try and let us know the results.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:47 AM

This is typical to all cars, by especially highly tuned naturally aspirated cars like ours. Boils down to getting cool intake air to the engine so the engine computer doesn't switch to a less aggressive tuning. Anywho, the basic solutions include:

1) Cold Air Intake (CAI) replacement for the stock airbox. In the $100's cost. Small performance increase and pretty much eliminates the hot temp. bog.

2) Hondata insulation gasket. Under $100. Insulates the intake manifold from the engine preventing heat conduction to the manifold and throttle body which prevents it from heating incoming air. It does work there is documentation on Hondata's web sight. Installation is involved and the throttle body may become iced (stuck) in cold weather (not a problem in Vancouver).

3) ZTEC (Rick's) carbon fiber heatshield. Around $200. If you do a search, it was intially pioneered by a Texas member, but is now produced by ZTEC and distrubuted by Rick's (board sponser). There is a Texas group (I think s2000.org) that has a writeup and eval. It works for me and is pretty and easy to install.

4) DIY insulate your airbox. Cheap. Do a search there is a thread I think by xviper that shows how you would do this. I would guess it would work as well or better than 3), but will look homemade.

5) Various airflow mods, cutting fake brake ducts, air deflectors over radiator. I don't think this would really help the bog problem, but could be useful for other purposes.

6) Engine cooling mods, replacement thermostat, high pressure radiator cap or rad fluid additives. Not really for this problem, but if the engine is a little cooler you would think it would help. It's more for reliablity in race track situations.

7) Vented hoods. $500+. More for looks and 6).

All I can think of now
Old 07-23-2003, 10:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Aside from the suggestions Fongu listed (some of which I disagree with), you can go with a colder spark plug. I noticed a significant improvement when I changed to Denso IK24's. The stock heat range is IK22. It also helps to increase the amount of water (less antifreeze) in your coolant system. I run 75% water / 25% antifreeze. Many track cars run straight water.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:40 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
[B]It also helps to increase the amount of water (less antifreeze) in your coolant system.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:25 PM

haha
Vtec junkie thats what i thought too... anyone tried yet?
Old 07-23-2003, 03:53 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wc_one
[B]

You actually think water cools better than antifreeze?
Old 07-23-2003, 04:37 PM

I had this same problem during the first summer I owned my S. During hot summer days, my S just bogged. I got one of the spoon replica intakes, which attaches to the stock airbox, and no more bogging during hot days. Good luck!
Old 07-23-2003, 05:35 PM

i have that intake too, and exhaust..
i'm not saying my car bogs...
but engine feels alot weaker when it's hot....

Quick Reply: Hot days my S doesn't want move