S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Hope to get an s2k in the spring!

Old 10-04-2004, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hope to get an s2k in the spring!

Hey guys, I'm new to the board and am going to be getting an s2k in spring of 2005. Some of you former rsx'ers may remember me from clubrsx as lead_foot.

I currently have a base rsx (160 hp) and am selling it because i want something better handling and more powerful. I have done a lot of test drives (s2k, rx-8, 350z etc...) and i have definatley made up my mind that the s2k is the car I want next. My only concern is if I should get a brand new '04 model or buy a used one. I can see advantages and disadvantages to both, but what i am really interested in, is how different does the '04 model drive and handle?

I can save a bunch of money if i buy one used, plus i will probably get a 00-03 model which would have the 9000k redline. If i get a new one, i will be paying full price, but lose the 9k redline, however get some more low end torque and the new body styling.

What is the best choice if you were in my situation?

Thanks for the imput!
Old 10-04-2004, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you can afford new, then get new. why would you want to buy a used sportscar that someone else has already "abused"?? the difference in redline is really no big deal. it's more of a psychological satisfaction than anything. the 2.2 gives you a better torque and horsepower curve so that (imo) , in itself, makes it the better engine despite the lower redline. as for the suspension setup, some may say that my04 setup is not aggressive enough. well, there's always the aftermarket if you crave for something more aggressive. other than that, the my04+ has an even stiffer chassis, and has a better tranny, not to mention the cosmetic "improvemets", so if i were in your shoes, i'd go with new.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:04 PM

In my opinion the differences between the AP1 and AP2 with regard to feel/performance while driving are so miniscule it's not worth making your decision based on that. I think it comes down to personal preference about cosmetics, price, and owning new vs. used.

To specifically answer your question..."how different does the '04 model drive and handle?" The single most notable difference between the two IMO is this, the 04 feels "throatier" (for lack of a better term) between 3 and 5K. Also I feel the 04 feels a bit more "busy" while truly driving the car hard due to the compressed vtec range vs. the earlier models simply because they can hold a gear a bit longer. <--- These are the primary tradeoffs between the two IMO.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:10 PM

I was in your position recently and bought a low mileage MY2002 a couple weeks ago. I considered the MY2004 S2K (as well as the Boxster S, but that's off topic). It was an easy decision because I prefer the styling of the 2 liter cars and they are plenty fast and quick enough for little ole me

I'd suggest you test drive both versions back to back if at all possible, then decide if the MY2004 is worth the extra money. By the way, you might be able to swing a deal on a demo MY2004 right now, during the MY transition period.

Another possible factor in favor of the '04 cars is that the lower revving nature of the 2.2 liter S2Ks may, I repeat may, translate into longer engine life. This latter point is purely speculative on my part

In any event, it sounds like you are about to buy a wonderful car, congratulations!
Old 10-05-2004, 03:45 AM

thanks for the help, now i'm more clear about where exactly the new improvements have been added.

I guess what it biols down to is money. If I can get a good deal on an '04, then i think i will probably jump on that, if not, I will have no regrets getting a lightly used 2002 or 03 and save a few grand.

Thanks again for the help guys.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by sjrick777,Oct 4 2004, 11:10 PM
I'd suggest you test drive both versions back to back if at all possible, then decide if the MY2004 is worth the extra money. By the way, you might be able to swing a deal on a demo MY2004 right now, during the MY transition period.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:33 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If given the choice, I would always buy new.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:10 AM

Let someone else pay for the front-loaded depreciation...get used. If I had to do it again, I'd do the same.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:55 AM

Would it be cheaper to lease a new '05 S2000 or to buy an '02? Actually i could lease an '02 so that would be the cheapest.

'02 GPW/Red
or
'05 NFR/Black (GPW/Tan is warming up to me tho...)
Old 10-05-2004, 06:22 AM

Lead foot,

I purchased a MY02 last March. I started looking in Nov-december the year before. You will get a good deal if you buy a convertable in the winter. The car is depreciating at a rate of 200-300 USD per month. Also look at edmunds.com.

If you are buying used do the following

1. Car fax report
2. Get all maint. records
3. Take the car to honda and have them do thier standard vehicle inspection. In addition have them run a compertion check. Cost me about 125 USD.
4. Buy the car from someone who you think hasn't abused the car too hard.

The car I bought had a 6 yr 75K transeferrable warrenty.

Good luck you will love the car

MR J

PS go to the clubs section on find the Canadian clubs for more info in your area.

Quick Reply: Hope to get an s2k in the spring!