S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Honda has just voided the warranty on my transmission.

Old 07-21-2002, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by PWE 896
Mike,

Just a view from across the pond.....

THis is exceedingly strange. Have you considered the fact that your DEALERSHIP may be the one who doesn't want to deal with you anymore, not Honda?

Have you seen or heard anything from Honda themselves?
Hi Pete,

I was told by the dealership that the !.!Honda!.! DSM said the warranty would be void. I have no reason to doubt them as I've always had good experiences with this dealership. The dealership doesn't have this kind of power and I'm sure they'd think I'd call Honda to verify. As soon as HoA calls me back, I'll have a clarification and I'm 99.99999% sure the dealership doesn't have anything to do with this.
Old 07-21-2002, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by GeorgeP
Mike, can you tell us exactly what Honda said. I can't imagine they said we don't like your tire wear therefore we are voiding your warranty. They must have expanded on that explanation.
I was told by the tech at the dealership that the DSM said (oh, the joys of hearsay):

Due to the unusual/excessive (I forget the exact adjective used) tire wear the DSM suspects that the vehicle has been abused and that although they'll fix my transmission this time, there is no future warranty on it.

To which my reply was:

I abuse my car in reverse?

So yes, that's what Honda said. They didn't like the wear on my tires. When I get the car back I'll measure exactly how much thread depth I have left all around. I'll then post this on S2KI as the depth you need to replace your tires at or risk a voided warranty.

Do they believe the car has been raced or abused in other ways. Did they specify what they think is the cause. If its just tire wear I would not even worry about it. Let them fix it and if you have another problem take it back to fix it again. If they refuse take them to court. A very effective tactic if the cost is under your state limit is to take them to small claims court. Corporations just hate small claims court. They can't have high priced attornies and they often lose. Just the data from this forum would convince the judge tires are not an issue.
No, they only mentioned the tires. I think it's the fact that I brought Mobil1 for my oil change - clearly I must abuse my car if I'm using synthetic

We'll see. I hope common sense prevails, but we'll see. I'll definately keep this thread updated with my progress.
Old 07-21-2002, 05:20 PM

i am confused over this warranty voided situation. if Honda decides the car is no longer going to be under warranty because the owner abused the car. what if the owner decides to sell the car>? does that mean the new owner would get the car without warranty>? this kinda of scares me then when buying used cars going forward.
you might end up buying a used car that no longer has a warranty even though it technically still should be
if its under the 3/36000 std bumper to bumper warranty.

any comments?
Old 07-21-2002, 06:34 PM

A letter to AHM?
can't say it'll do much...
however, a letter to the CPSC , consumer product safety commision, the organization responsible to recalling anything and everything, would work. If we can show them we have a potentially defective product, they will force Honda to recall and fix our automobiles or they'll be fined based on each occurence, meaning a fine for each s2000 produced for the US market. Not to mention Honda's prescious reliability rating to companies like Consumer Reports would be destroyed.

I too am a little frustrated with Honda as well. I'm having my power window motor/regulator and top latch replaced for being defective, but the problem is the difficullty I'm having getting it done. I've gone through all the Honda dealerships in my town, and am not pleased with either. I'm beginning to regret not purchasing the extended warranty.
Old 07-21-2002, 08:31 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bayarea408
[B]i am confused over this warranty voided situation.
Old 07-22-2002, 12:13 AM

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Note in advance that this is just speculation.

If Honda voids the warranty, yes that voided warranty stays with the car.

When you take your car in for warranty service, the dealer does the service for free with the expectation that they will be reimbursed by Honda. If Honda decides for whatever reason they're not going to pay, I'm sure your vehicle will be flagged in the AHM computer system, so when they enter your VIN, voila - a red flag mentioning transmission repairs are not covered.

Now, as for whether Honda can do this, they can, but whether you can win in court depends on in what court it will be heard and if it's anything other than small claims if you think you have more money than AHM for lawyers.

What I would do is see if you have a consumer "troubleshooter" in town - they live for this stuff. If you don't, you may want to try Tom Martino - he's local for me but his radio show went national not too long ago, and has a great web site at http://www.troubleshooter.com.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:14 AM

I just got off the phone with HoA, after 30 minutes of back and forth to answer just one question. According to them, the DSMs word is FINAL - I cannot appeal it to anyone but the DSM, no one with HoA will help me, only the DSM can give me my warranty back. Well folks, I'm off to talk to the dealership and their service manager on site, although I'm expecting just more of to happen.
Old 07-22-2002, 09:49 AM

Just to add a positive to this thread... my Accord has 175k on the original manual tranny. Waiting to see how my S2K does.

Dave
Old 07-22-2002, 10:30 AM

man, you gotta be kiddin me...give em hell man. Is there anyone that can say they have had great warrantee service?? I mean regardless of what has happened, within reason of course.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:46 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally posted by S4 Mike
I just got off the phone with HoA, after 30 minutes of back and forth to answer just one question. According to them, the DSMs word is FINAL - I cannot appeal it to anyone but the DSM, no one with HoA will help me, only the DSM can give me my warranty back. Well folks, I'm off to talk to the dealership and their service manager on site, although I'm expecting just more of to happen.
There must be eveidence of abuse, before anyone can cancel a warranty. A warranty is a contract in the purist sense of the word. Unilateral cancellation of a contract can not be executed without due cause and I am not sure that tire wear will suffice. Improper inflation of a tire can cause premature tire wear.
Demand a ltter explaining the action that Honda has taken and the reasons for it. If the car has been raced there will be wear patterns and that can be disputed, but you need in writing the remarks from the DSM, and if you don't like what he has to say he does have a boss.

Quick Reply: Honda has just voided the warranty on my transmission.