S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Honda has just voided the warranty on my transmission.

Old 07-19-2002, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always get really rude service from my Honda dealership. I understand that I am 17 and what not so maybe they are jealous(?) of me owning "the top model of the Honda name" but seriously I have had to go in to a) get body work done and b) get the seat cover replaced and each time basically got blown off. The first time the guy wouldn't give me an ESTIMATE that day when he only had 1 other appointment that afternoon and he was -suppose- to leave @ 5pm .. So we asked to talk to a supervisor .. and guess who came out? Mr. Bruce Eide, the owner of Vern Eide Motors We told him the problem and he picked up the phone called the body shop and basically told them they were doing an estimate on my car before he left work and at a time that was most convenient for me. It was great

The second time I went in cause a patch of my seat was becoming discoloured.. and the service manager guy after being a jerk said he would order it. almost 3weeks later no calls. So I called back and got the run around on the phone to just find out that it was on back order. I asked if there was a way to expedite the whole process he said "no you are just going to have to wait" I call back ask for Bruce Eide tell him the Service Manager I spoke with. I get put on hold. Bruce picks up again. The part was re-ordered with an urgent status so it will ship out asap and should be here in a week. He also told me he would be speaking with the service manager. It was great.

It's too bad each time I had to speak with the owner of the dealership.. but if that's what I have to do to get something done quickly so be it. Sorry to everyone else and their mis-fortunes, -gage
Old 07-19-2002, 06:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honda has no case against you. To deny you warranty work, they must have reasonable proof that you have abused/misused the car, installed improper parts to the car, skipped required maintenance, or used the vehicle in racing/competition events.

Worn tires or previous warranty work doesn't constitute proof.

I'd let them do the work, but refuse to sign anything that says you won't be entitled to future warranty coverage.

I'd suprise them, and bring a lawyer. They can't make you sign the disclaimer in order to get the work done.

In fact, saying they'll fix the car now is like their admitting warranty responsibility, saying they won't cover your car in the future is plain illegal, hypocritical, and spiteful in my book.

I wouldn't stand for the DSM's decision. I'd also consider having my lawyer contact his superior.
Old 07-19-2002, 07:05 PM

I got 8000 out of the OEM Bridgestones (front and rear) and switched to Dunlop SP8000s all the way around. I had them delivered to the dealer who put them on for me free since I complained that 8000 miles out of tires is a joke, especially since almost all of my miles are highway, sure I drove it hard sometimes (on/off ramps and country roads) but no track time and never once spun the tires or dragged. If I would have replaced with OEM S02's again and they lasted 8000 agian I would have been spending more in tires per mile than gas!! That's what swayed the dealer to do free alignment (everything was exactly on spec) and mount and balance the SP8000s. Fortunately I've had good luck with my dealer to this point - except for the spark plug issue but I'm quite sure that's just a mailing issue and once they get parts and I get the postcard I'll be good to go.
Old 07-19-2002, 07:15 PM

Right to the president of Oh Honda America above the heads of the dealersip and also get in touch with a lawyer Lemon Laws that will swing things in your favor Keep all your records of the Trans and recalls if they did the recall and it did fail again its on them!!!
Old 07-19-2002, 07:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The whole thing is BS and really bugs me.

Anybody else have transmission work twice in 11,000 would probably be considered lemon law candidates.

Show them typical tire wear results... 2/3 worn at 11,000 miles actually might be less than typical:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=66515
Old 07-19-2002, 08:48 PM

I also had a problem with my tranny..lost 2nd..they told me the only way to loose it was abusing the car..i have 37k on mine..so instead of me rebuiding it for 4 grand after saying they couldnt find a used one..i found 3 used ones..go figure..all were 2100 or less..so i bought a 01 tranny with 3k miles on her..the guy even warranties the parts for a year. Its at Holler honda know in Orlando, fl. Went on ahead and got a toda flywheel too..that will be in tomorrow (saturday). Should be able to fly down on thurs and pick her up. Thank god i work for an airline and fly for free
Old 07-19-2002, 08:59 PM

Massachusetts has very strong consumer protection laws and rulings -- if Honda continues take it to the A.G.

My 02 rears were shot at 10,000 miles --- and my Honda service advisor continues to report "they are nearly bald right off the truck!"

Unless there are other unspoken circumstances, you have a case against Honda and the dealer.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:01 PM

PS
my brother's Odyssey at 70,000 miles is on it's third transmission --
Honda just "ain't" that fine
Old 07-20-2002, 10:59 AM
mas

Mike,

Don't give up and take it easy, you'll win. Just never buy another honda, I'm so glad I leased mine.

Here's what I suggest you should do (not that I'm an expert, but I've been thru such crap from honda with my prelude).

* Explore the possibility that your car could be declared a lemon, seriously.

* Take your car to a friendly and reputable tire shop and have them look at the tires and give your a report on the tread wear compared to a new tire.

* Find statistics on S2K S02 tread life on the web and print those pages and use them to support your argument.

* Tell them to prove the relationship between tire wear and your problem

* Don't even mention driving the tires too hard, even if you wanna say you did not do it.

* Never give them the idea that you're frustrated and want to sell the car, etc.

* You have good points, use them too.

BTW, how did you finance the car and where?

Good luck!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S4 Mike
[B]What a great ending to a crappy week. I brought in my car to the dealership for a loud noise when reverse was engaged. This is the second time I've had transmission problems in 11,000 miles. The first time I lost 5th gear and had the 2nd gear grind. Today I got a call from the dealership saying the DSM was in and said Honda would fix my transmission this time but never again. The reasoning for this? I had some "wear" on my tires. I guess having 2/3rds thread after 11k is considered too much wear by Honda. I'm suprised those who swapped out their S-02s at 8k haven't had their entire warranties voided.
Old 07-20-2002, 11:22 AM

This thread is almost starting to make me wish I hadn't bought my car

Quick Reply: Honda has just voided the warranty on my transmission.