S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Honda has just voided the warranty on my transmission.

Old 07-19-2002, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda has just voided the warranty on my transmission.

What a great ending to a crappy week. I brought in my car to the dealership for a loud noise when reverse was engaged. This is the second time I've had transmission problems in 11,000 miles. The first time I lost 5th gear and had the 2nd gear grind. Today I got a call from the dealership saying the DSM was in and said Honda would fix my transmission this time but never again. The reasoning for this? I had some "wear" on my tires. I guess having 2/3rds thread after 11k is considered too much wear by Honda. I'm suprised those who swapped out their S-02s at 8k haven't had their entire warranties voided.

Needless to say I'm pissed. I've owned 5 manual cars before and have never had any problems with my transmissions. This is my first Honda, it's been in the shop twice and now is without transmission (or maybe even drivetrain) warranty. Crappy parts, crappy service. I love my car but this is too much.

I have a case open with HoA and expecting a call back in 3-5 business days. Any advice as to what to say to them? So far I have:

1) I'm an experienced manual transmission driver - 5 cars prior, never a problem
2) Transmission was already rebuilt once - who's to say it was done properly
3) The S-02s wear quickly
4) There is no mention in the manual as to what constitues driving the tires too hard
5) Tranmissions in 2000 & 2001 S2000s are known for failures
6) There are already 2 TSBs for the transmission/clutch - clearly it's not a bulletproof part
7) Similar to 2 - Transmission was never replaced, just rebuilt - who's to say it's not a problem with the parts which weren't replaced

Anything else that I'm missing? I'd really hate to get rid of this car because of some stupid red tape within HoA.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:33 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Man that sucks, not that I have had any problems, but I do have over 12k on my stock tires, and there is still very little usable tread left. (MY02) and I am looking for new tires for the rear. I guess I should have a set of Tires/Wheels just for service.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:36 PM

That's terrible Mike....sorry to hear it.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:38 PM

I am honestly unpleased to see so many complaints about Honda. I believe it is time for someone to organize an official letter to Honda regarding their service departments. We, as S2000 owners, own the top of the line Honda sports car available under the Honda name. There needs to be a STRONG clarification from Honda of America to it's dealership's service departments regarding transmission issues, #4 cyl issues, spark plug replacement kits, and several other problems that S2000 owners are being pestered about.

Civic/Accord owners are getting less of a hassle for warranty work than owners of a $32,000 Honda. This is completely ridiculous. A letter to American Honda should also be signed with the names of owners across America and their VIN numbers as well.

I am totally disgusted with the overall lack of knowledge from service departments. (Ex: I call about the spark plug TSB and the guy asks me if my check engine light is on. The bonehead goes on to tell me that unless it's on, there's no reason why I should change my plugs. I told the moron that by the time I get a check engine light, there will probably be some damage done already. My purpose was to AVOID the CEL. The service manager tells me basically that I'm concerning myself over nothing and that once the check engine light comes on, bring the car in.

The same policy allows them to blame the owner for neglect. Excuse me while I go pray that my S never has to go in for tranmission or any other warranty repairs. There are a few select dealerships that do have excellent service departments, but the majority are plain stupid when it comes to our cars. Watch out.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:40 PM

I'd be prepared for a load of crap from AHM. I'll bet you'll need a lawyer on this one. They need to prove a direct link between their evidence and your problem to renig on the warranty contract. In the end, if you persevere, you'll likely win.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:43 PM

SECRET AP1... that is a GREAT idea!! An open letter addressed to the Honda bigwheels and signed by everyone with an S2000 and their VINs might not do anything, but at least we can all say we went down swinging! Count me in!
Old 07-19-2002, 12:50 PM

I feel for you. I picked up my S2000 11/17/99 and within months had to replace the tires due to significant (to be nice about it) treadwear. I've replaced them again and again. AND I had my clutch recalled. I have a personal friend who is a mechanic and HE was the one to tell me about the TSB on my clutch... never heard from Honda about it. Since then I figured out how to get info online (http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov). I would definitely check in the warranty print for voiding warranty requirements or stips. If it is not mentioned there, bring that up to Honda. Also, get a detailed list of the parts that were rebuilt or exchanged for new parts the first time you brought it in.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:59 PM
Banned

SecretAP1, actually, I was thinking about starting a thread for everyone to post their bad experiences with the service departments warrantying work.

I really hope you get this taken care of Mike!

Blake
Old 07-19-2002, 01:12 PM

I'm still waiting to hear from AHM about my 3rd gear. The dealership was cool about it, but they have to waitto hear back from them, that's what I'm worried about now. I just replaced my S-02's with Dunlop SP8000's too, I wonder if they're going to say something about the brand new tires at 3,600 miles.
Old 07-19-2002, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd contact Bridgestone and see What the life expectence of the tires are! They will be honest with you. Maybe go to a tire place and see what they say about the life expectency.....don't mention anything about your warrenty just act stupid and you wanted to know what the tread life is....if they say about 12,000 miles get something in writing and burn Hondas ass! Its not just honda...i've had warranty problems with V.W. ...GTI VR6 1ST TO SECOND GRIND........SUBARU .......alignment issues....acura...clutch
they love to blame the driver! Make a stink...It always works. Threaten to involve the dealer with faulty service....the dealer cares less if ya sue honda...but they bend over backwards if you
can threaten them on a lawsuit. squek.....really loud.....your get what ya want.....make a stink on the showroom floor....concentrate on the dealer. Hondas got hundreds of lawerys on retention....the dealer is lucky to have one...most likely none.

Quick Reply: Honda has just voided the warranty on my transmission.