S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Honda denied me warranty on my Diff..

Old 03-03-2001, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude..thats who im talking too. The DSM for honda is only for florida..im now speaking with his boss Mike Rudoulf in GA. He is very nice and i have worked with him before. He has contacted Norm Hankle (DSM) and he is waiting for him to call him back on the issue and why he denied me.

Thanks,

Desmond
Old 03-03-2001, 08:32 PM

That NSX "class action" that you refer to is totally lame, and not at all comparable to your current problem.

A few folks got together and sued AHM over the tire wear... we all then got tire certificates. "My tires wore out too fast on my $70k sports car"... whine whine whine. Bunch of litigious morons.
Old 03-03-2001, 08:53 PM

Hey, Honda refused to warranty mine after the second failure. I'll be talking to you on email. I think it might be best to pool resources on this one.
Old 03-03-2001, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many people have had differential problems here? I didn't realize this was a problem???

Is it related to repeated launching stress or is this a more general problem?

-B
Old 03-04-2001, 12:22 AM

I have had this problem for the first time. I know VaporTrail had this problem as well. This is Sondra's brother. And there are a few that have had this problem twice and honda didnt want to cover the second one.

Des,
Old 03-04-2001, 01:44 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by G1S2k
[B]The district service manager for FL denied the fix.
Old 03-04-2001, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...p?threadid=4980
Old 03-04-2001, 09:47 AM

These sort of posts concern me a great deal in ordering an S2K. The stories of cylinder #4 & tranny issues. And to add fuel to the fire Honda reps are denying warranty coverage. Sounds like the Honda guy is assuming that because it's a sports car (and your age) it is driven in a abusive fashion. Some probably do & most don't. I'd just hate to be one that doesn't (I won't be if I pull the trigger) & have a problem denied service. I wouldn't touch another Honda product & I would make sure everyone I knew that was looking for a new car was aware of what happend. Not like it would even put a dent in there business but the local dealer might feel the loss of a few units. It's so strange to hear that Honda is refusing (at this point) to service one of their products. I guess they really think their cars are "bulletproof". Spoiled rotten by the reliability of several Honda products owned.....
Old 03-04-2001, 10:00 AM

This might go against the "S2000 Brotherhood" but you saying that you didn't abuse your car is not 100% accurate. You have 14,000 miles on your car, are almost done with the 2nd set of rear tires, and your rear diff fluid looked more like molasses than a petroleum based lubricant. On top of that, I'm sure that your launches on a VHT covered dragstrip at Sunday Funday (Orlando) might have added to the problems.

Most people assume this car to be bulletproof, being that we have a 9000 rpm redline, but if you do things that your car is not meant to do, it will negatively affect it. If you want to run it at the strip, then you should have gotten a Camaro or something that is meant to have a lot of low end torque. And the "this is a Honda" argument isn't really applicable to the S2000. The reason why Hondas last so long is because of the combination of good parts and good engineering. But then again, how many Honda have a 9000 rpm redline? Zero, excluding the S2000. So you see, the rules are a little different. Sure our cars can rev to 9000, you can do a 7000 rpm clutch dump, and sure you can downshift to 2nd at 60 mph, but is it bad for the car? You got it.

And if you do it everyday, then that is abuse.

One can't forget that the car is a mechanical piece of equipment, and likewise the harder you run it, the shorter the lifespan. Now, I'm not sure what was going on in The Reverend's case and his problems with the rear diff, but the last thing we need is another "problem" with our cars. Yes the 1-2 grind is a problem (did I mention that Honda warranteed my transmission? Yep, a brand new unit right out of the crate, and I don't abuse my car), but becuase someone rags the piss out of their car doesn't mean there is a design flaw in the S2000. The whole idea of the car is balance and poise, and trying to make your car a 13 second car by means of clutch dumps and abuse goes against the grain of this car. In my humble opinion, there is nothing wrong with the rear differential design of this car, but I'm sure that if I was to bolt it up to my roommates 11 sec '67 Camaro, he would realize the apparent design flaw in it. Everything is built to a specific purpose, and this is not it.

And like I said earlier, this is by no means a personal attack. But for every person who "doesn't abuse" his/her car there is someone out there with a valid warranty claim who won't get their car justifiably warrantied, because other owners have cried wolf one time too many. $3000 sucks to have to pay out of the pocket, and hopefully AHM will do a goodwill warranty repair. But if not, you face the consequences of your personal driving habits.

And last thing we need is a class action lawsuit. If you want a car that has the reliability of a Honda and can click off 12 second runs, get an Accord and an '68 Chevelle with a 454. Therefore, you have the everyday reliability that Honda has come to represent, and a musclecar for the times when you want to pretend you're John Force.
Old 03-04-2001, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JTS2K
[B]These sort of posts concern me a great deal in ordering an S2K.

Quick Reply: Honda denied me warranty on my Diff..