S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Honda dealers say the funniest things

Old 04-07-2005, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I definately agree that the vast majority of car salesmen are completely usless (to put it mildly) I actually had a very surprising experience last year at a local dealership.

I was in picking up some MTF and one of the salesmen came up to me.

Salesman: "That's your S2000?"

Me: "Ya"

Salesman: "Very nice. I especially love your BBS rims"

Me (shocked): "Thanks"

Salesman: "They're the LM's right?"

Me (really shocked): "Yep"

Salesman: "I'm surprised they came in proper S2000 offsets"

I was floored. Not only did he know the brand and make of the wheels, but he actually knew the S2000's offsets!

Not all Honda salesmen are cluless I guess...
Old 04-07-2005, 04:00 PM

Old 04-07-2005, 04:11 PM

the guy at the parts department didn't want to believe that there is PCX filter made specifically for the s2000. he never even apologized or admitted he was wrong after i PROVED it to his face.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:03 PM

Traveler, the sales people must have started drooling
Old 04-07-2005, 05:05 PM

ruexp, if the sales guys/gals are too stupid to know better, you have my blessing to tear their heads off that is what they get!
Old 04-07-2005, 08:01 PM

I just had my transmission oil changed and noticed on the bill that the dealer charged for 3 quarts. I called the service adviser and left a message that they overcharged me by a quart. she called me back and said the "s2000s take 3 quarts even with manual transmission." I told her that the service manual states that it only takes 1.6 quart. she then said to come in to see what they can do for me. I ended up writing a long letter to the gm.

by the way this is the dealer that forgot to put oil cap back on after oil change.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:09 PM

(when the 04's just came out)

ME: So, whats the difference between 04s and previous models?

Dealer: The new ones are pulling about 280 horsepower and redline is higher at 8 rpm now.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:27 AM

The last time I was in Seattle I had a long layover waiting for my next flight. So I jumped on the bus in front of the airport and got off near the mall to look around to kill time. Saw a Honda dealer with a Silverstone S2K up on one of those rotating podiums, so I went in to drool. The parts dept. manager (female) walks by, made some small talk for a few minutes, then we started talking about the S2K, blah blah blah. She was doing pretty good until she said "not much on the street can touch that 320 hp V6."

I've never been the type of person to call them on these types of mistakes, I'm almost embarassed for them. I just kind of smile and nod and say "oh, yeah, right", then shake my head when I'm leaving...
Old 04-10-2005, 08:16 AM

Received 1,292 Likes on 1,044 Posts

I've forgotten most of the ridiculous things my salesman told me, I just remember the outright lies, and hours of endless "well now, let me take this to my manager and see what he says".

Even though I had no intention of taking a test drive at the time, he insisted that not even the salesmen were allowed drive the cars. But after I reluctantly agreed to fill out the credit info so they could "make me an offer", I was behind the wheel.

I told the guy I knew exactly what I wanted, and how much I wanted to pay but I had to wait for a refinance to go through on my house before I could pull the trigger. But it took 4 visits and over 8 hours of me saying "NO!" before I got what I wanted. (which was basically just to get it back to sticker) They would constantly try to get me to sign and commit to things simply to get an answer like "do you have any Berlina's coming". One time I came back and "negotiated" their "rock bottom" deal, which was $2K higher than the offer they had given me the previous visit. The whole process was a nightmare and they acted like they were doing me a huge favor by giving away their car (apparently the last one of it's kind in North America). And the salesman has the balls to tell me "now you'll be getting a survey call in a few days, you make sure you take care of me."
Now I remember one of the things he said, he actually referred to the RPM's as Knots. I didn't realize the S was seafaring as well, no wonder they wanted me to pay $1K for the magical "environmental protection package".
Old 06-30-2005, 08:57 PM

I have a story for you, I had a 1997 Del Sol Vtec with 60k on it and the packing in the catiytic converter was beginning to give way. The service manager told me this and said i would do best since i had a new header on it was to get a aftermarket cat. The next time i went in the service lady came up to me and said there had been a service bulletin on the cat that was 2 years old and it was to be replaced free, but since i had an after market cat they wouldn't replace it. I showed her the problem had been checked before i had the new cat put on. She talked to the service department and had it set to replace the cat and my exhaust for free but once the service manager the one who told me to get an aftermarket cat found out he had her fired and refused to work on the car. Apple Tree Honda in Asheville NC. I will drive 150 miles down to Atlanta to buy my next new Honda.

Quick Reply: Honda dealers say the funniest things