S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Honda dealers say the funniest things

Old 04-04-2005, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uppitychick,Apr 4 2005, 12:28 PM
I have always been told by Honda that 2004 + are wider. I parked mine right next to it and it looked the same. I asked for the dimensions and they are the same as my 2002. But salesman still demanded it was wider??? Maybe they don't teach math at auto school.
Perhaps the salesman was referring to the slightly wider interior of the MY04+?
Old 04-04-2005, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

uppity, I do believe honda claimed the interior was a little wider for 04 to give more shoulder room (I think it was shoulder room)

Anyways, funny Honda dealer quotes I've heard:

1) "Your tires are beginning to wear on the insides, you better get an alignment"

Comment: They tell me this EVERY TIME i come in for service. And every time, I show them the alignment specs, particularly the camber, in the owners manual.

2) As I was inspecting my scratched brand new Rays lug nuts: "We tightened your lugnuts by hand this time....."

Comment: You mean other times you don't? You mean you've been using that 250 ft-lbs air wrench the last 5 times you serviced my car?

3) "The lug nut key doesn't fit on the lug nuts"

Comment: Um, that's because it only works on ONE out of the FIVE lugs you dumbass.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Armyof1,Apr 4 2005, 03:06 PM
"same motor as the Accord, 240hp"
Old 04-04-2005, 12:59 PM

not s2000 but I thought it was funny.

When I was looking for a new car, went to the Mazda dealer to test drive the MazdaSpeed Miata. Parked my red 99' Miata right by the door, took a grey Mazdaspeed for a drive. When I retuned I sat down to talk price and the manager came out to try and close the deal. First thing he says to me is how do you like that new red Miata, its nice isn't it? I said yes, but thats my car and thanks you just saved me 10k. See ya later. I bet the salesman wanted to kick him in the nuts.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:30 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

True, the 2004's have a slightly wider interior. But exterior is exactly the same as far as width, height, length, etc. Salesman after salesman swore the body was wider. Of course, it is not, though. I swear one kept telling me the car next to mine was wider. I can see you know.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I picked up my car, the sales guy gave me the keys, but no remote. When I asked him for the keyless entry remotes, he said the S2000 doesn't have that because it's only got two doors. I got them, of course, and good old Bob's back at the Jeep dealership where he belongs.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:00 PM

Haha.. i got the remote, but had to argue that the soft top tonneau cover was not an optional accessory for two weeks. FYI if you buy a honda certified used car they have to include it!
Old 04-04-2005, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Napoleon Dynamite,Apr 4 2005, 05:00 PM
Haha.. i got the remote, but had to argue that the soft top tonneau cover was not an optional accessory for two weeks. FYI if you buy a honda certified used car they have to include it!
I wish I would have known that, They tried selling it to me for HUNDREDS of dollars!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2005, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by sf_firestarter,Apr 4 2005, 12:59 PM
not s2000 but I thought it was funny.

When I was looking for a new car, went to the Mazda dealer to test drive the MazdaSpeed Miata. Parked my red 99' Miata right by the door, took a grey Mazdaspeed for a drive. When I retuned I sat down to talk price and the manager came out to try and close the deal. First thing he says to me is how do you like that new red Miata, its nice isn't it? I said yes, but thats my car and thanks you just saved me 10k. See ya later. I bet the salesman wanted to kick him in the nuts.
Did you really get up and leave?

If so, .
Old 04-04-2005, 02:28 PM

I negotiated the purchase of my 2005 S2000 a few months ago. When I buy a car I go in with a written, one-page "offer" document, which, like the purchase agreement they want you to sign, has some boiler plate (mine however, deals with various things like the price we negotiate includes all the document fees and other B-S charges they try to stick you with after you have settled on a price, only to have them dig a few more bucks out of your wallet, and that other than tax, and the title and registration fees required by law, the negoiated price is THE price), and I had in the offer that the price included the Honda OEM S2000 car cover.

I guess they focused on my efforts to dodge their document fees and paper processing fee and dealer prep charges and they overlooked the fact that I was buying a car and a soft car cover. When they realized that they had agreed on a price that included the cover they tried to tell me that they thought I meant the tonneau cover!

Then they said that they had no car cover in stock and it would have to be ordered. I made the sales manager put it in writing that the car cover was in fact ordered that day, and that I would recieve it in less than a week, and within a week I got my car cover.

Generally I find the sales force at Honda dealerships, on average, a little less sneaky and weasel-like than other dealers, but that the maintance folks are typcially MUCH better than other dealers, but this is usually only if the dealership is exclusviely a Honda dealership.

Quick Reply: Honda dealers say the funniest things