S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Honda Dealer just swore to me...

Old 07-13-2005, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Dealer just swore to me...

I had my car in for a standard service last week, and I noticed it was acting funny afterwards... after taking it for a more energetic spin I finally decided that it was a matter of the VTEC engaging much later (and weaker) than it should... around 8000 RPMS... So I took it in to have that and a series of other things looked at; only I just now got a call saying that the techs (who have always been very good at this place) said that the official Honda statement was that it engaged at 8000RPMS... which (not including the fact that I know its supposed to be around 6000RPMS)... doesn't make any sense... why would you want VTEC for 1000RPMS at the end of your power curve...

So any opinions on that? Perhaps if someone who had some sort of credentials replied to this agreeing with me it would be easier to persuade them when I go to pick her up tonight.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:10 PM

Run away, as fast as you can.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to a different dealer. No sense in dealing with someone so stupid who has access to the facts right before them and still chooses to just make shit up.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:11 PM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

I don't have my manual here, but doesn't it say not to VTEC during the break-in period, keeping the RPMs under 6,000?
Old 07-13-2005, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Morris,Jul 13 2005, 12:11 PM
I don't have my manual here, but doesn't it say not to VTEC during the break-in period, keeping the RPMs under 6,000?
i'm guessing that his car is a 01, and it should be already broken in a long time ago.

but to the original post: some dealers think we're idiots, and they can make up whatever story they want.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

thats like the time the acura guy told me the s2k had the same engine as the rsx, and that the rsx was more powerful and faster. oh, and that the s2k is front wheel drive

silly goose
Old 07-13-2005, 12:28 PM

The thing is up until this point I have been very impressed with this dealer; I moved from the last one because of their low-rate service, however all the work I've had them do so far has been very well done (new wheels/tires, hard top, cargo net, plus standard service). So perhaps this is just a simple mistake; I will confront them with it when I get there today and see how they react... if everything gets resolved, then I'll probably still use them (as there is no other Honda dealer in a reasonable area); however if they still insist it engages at 8000k... well then we have a problem. Thanks everyone for your input so far!
Old 07-13-2005, 12:52 PM

maybe your tech is confusing when vtec kicks in with the redline for the ap2s? (which is still stupid since you have an ap1)

if you can't find any honda materials, i think most of the car magazine articles mention when vtec kicks in, i'm sure you could do a search online.

here's a start:

Car & Driver article "The Blow Dryers"
Old 07-13-2005, 12:57 PM

F*CKING retards! The VTEC is supposed to engage around 6500 (not sure about exact point). The only way to get the VTEC to engage at a different point would be to change the ECU....if this was not done, VTEC should still be at around 6500. Talk to Wisconsin about this......he should have an answer.

John
Old 07-13-2005, 12:58 PM

Well I left a message at my service manager's phone about half an hour ago... it took him awhile to respond (even though he's been there the whole time); I believe when they got my rather vague message, their responce was one of "Oh shit, apparently he knows we're wrong..." because when he called back, there was suddenly a tech guy standing next to him who... "Oh yeah, it does engage at 6,000." Kind of intruiging how fast it was for them to change their minds... oh well, atleast they have stated that it's currently working at 6,000RPMS and have offered to take me for a drive with the scanner to demonstrate this when I pick it up. So as long as it works I suppose I'm happy.

Quick Reply: Honda Dealer just swore to me...