S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Honda Care strikes again (warranty claim problems)

Old 06-04-2003, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Care strikes again (warranty claim problems)

I know others have had problems with honda warranty in the past, here goes my story.
my 01' S2k had rear end clicking not too long after I purchased the car new from the dealer. It was broken in properly and had maintence done with best fluids avaliable (royal purple/redline) including engine oil, diff fluid,brake fluid,clutch fluid.. I never had any warranty claims ever, until I finally decided to take my car in (at 50k miles) for warranty work on my rear diff noise. (it would click on and off throttle,lock up in tight turns) honda tech at the dealer said, I needed new LSD unit but recommended that he feels more comfortable replacing the whole unit. i said fine, get it done. I had purchased the most expensive extended warranty from honda. well, hondacare declined the replacement and recommended rebuild of the diff with new lsd and bearing set. ring and pinion gears were reused. it turned out that driver halfshaft has gone bad also so it was too replaced. lsd was on backorder so i took 3 weeks for repair. hondacare only would pay for 4 days of rental car coverage which I didn't even bother to go through.
I get the car back. everything is fine. less then 2 weeks later, as I was pulling out of apartment complex, rear end explodes. furious, I called honda next day(6-2-03) they tow the car back to dealer and find my ring and pinion gears had broke and punched a hole through the diff casing.
service advisor at honda reassures me he'll take care of it and tells me it shouldn't be a problem getting it fixed.
wed 6-4-03. i get a call back from honda dealer. they sent out inspector and taken photos of my car,measured tread depth and inspector reports back to headquarters.
I get another call back hour later. Honda care DENIED my claim as well as TERMINATING my extended warranty contract. I was furious . they wouldn't even cover the tow or time local dealer had spent disassembling the diff.
I call hondacare, talked to Carl he said it was declined because of my mods on the car (aem intake,dc header,eibach springs,tanabe exhaust,pivot tach) said any and all modification that is not OEM voids warranty on the WHOLE CAR. repeats over and over they have every right to do so.
even though such dealer like john eagle honda can sell the same equipment installed in a new car and have full warranty benefits.
carl again denies any responsibilities to cover my car under warranty.
I was told unless aftermarket equipment directly cause failure of certain part on a vehicle they cannot void the warranty of the whole car. carl again denies it.
fed up with frustration and bs, I tell carl, I have to call back but when I do, I have to record the conversation with a thrid party for my records. carl flips out. don't know what to say. lost for words
he said NO he will not allow it nor anyone else in the office.
said there's some kind of law in some states that prohibits me from recording the conversation.
I said, then why is it that the first thing you hear when you call hondacare is the notice " your call maybe monitored or recorded" . carl has nothing to say. keeps repeating he will not allow for me to record our conversation. I said if you have right grounds to deny my warranty why do you care if I record? he just keeps saying "no i won't allow it" after few more minutes of this, I thank him for his time, ask for supervisor's name and hangup the phone.
what has honda come to these days, they build a car and advertise all over about it being high performance machine, yet finds every loophole to decline warranty coverage that us consumers payfor?
leaves me comepletely out in cold with my car in pieces at the dealership, without bearing any responsibilities. I am considering selling my car never to purchase another honda again.
after 10 various honda car/motorcycle product in less then 8 years I feel betrayed and cheated.
I am interested in getting formal complaint to present to hondacare, as well as honda north america. I want to know how many of you outthere has experienced warranty claim denile without good grounds and breach of contract by terminating extended warranties. I am already looking in to hiring a lawyer to furthur investigate this matter, I would like to get several cases together so that if and when I take it to court, they will see that it's not a isolated case. at the least, I want to expose hondacare for wrongful business practices and be a thorn in their throat as long as I can. I'm asking for your help and advice. thanks in advance.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:12 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I am sorry to hear this. I don't see their ground for this at all. They just funded the LSD replacment by untrained peronal. Most Honda Tech's have not rebuilt a differantal, they do transaxles.

The repair (that they paid for) caused the pain you are currenly feeling. Rear end required tech's that have done them before, not just any tech free in the shop. The dealer how performed the service should be at fault as well. Sound to me like they should be batting for you with Honda Care.

I have heard that HondaCare is tighter on the Mods then AHM. They want the car to remain stock. Even a CAI is too far.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:29 PM

I'm gonna say this at the risk of being flamed big time.....It's my opinion that dealers of any make of vehicle are going to use any excuse they can find to get out of picking up the tab on a repair. So,when you people do the mods on your cars do you ever stop for a minute and think what may happen if you need to go back to Honda and expect them to do a free repair. I'm thinking when your car comes into the dealer on a flat bed and the service advisor or tech pop's the hood and see's the mod's,he/she's thinking umm...mod's,this person drives this car to the limit everyday so why should Honda pic up the tab.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:52 PM
God

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 9k to heaven
[B]
Old 06-04-2003, 09:00 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Flyin Wedge
[B]I'm gonna say this at the risk of being flamed big time.....It's my opinion that dealers of any make of vehicle are going to use any excuse they can find to get out of picking up the tab on a repair. So,when you people do the mods on your cars do you ever stop for a minute and think what may happen if you need to go back to Honda and expect them to do a free repair.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another reason why I will never buy a HondaCare warranty.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:13 PM

Don't do some technical modification during the warranty. They really don't cover it for u.
One guy got intake installed..after couple month his engine was breaking down and he tried to claim for warranty. and dealer just void the warranty since he only got his car for 6 months.
The reason why engine broken down is oil level too low......
Old 06-05-2003, 03:33 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S-ToDo
[B]Don't do some technical modification during the warranty. They really don't cover it for u.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:30 AM

If you have an extended warranty you are foolish to do any mod to the car.

If you want to mod heavy buy a used s2000 and have at it.

With the mods on the car I too would expect you grossly abused the car.

You do not put all those mods on the car and then not have at it.

You guys gots to use you're brains.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are Eibach springs? Do they change the stresses on the LSD? Might they have contributed? Just asking.

It seems to me that the second failure has to do repair done after your LSD failed the first time and it should have been covered.

Even if you hadn't had an extended warranty but rather had paid for the first repair out of pocket, you should have had a 30 day warranty or a 90 day warranty on that repair and they should cover the second repair.

If they were going to deny the coverage, they should have had to do it at the first failure, not at the second. By the time the second failure occured, they were responsible for their craftsmanship.

Quick Reply: Honda Care strikes again (warranty claim problems)