S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Honda Alarm

Old 07-05-2001, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Alarm

Has anyone purchased the stock S2000 alarm and installed it themselves? I am wondering if it is worth the trouble or if I should just go get an aftermarket alarm installed. Thoughts on a good alarm system for the S2K would also be appreciated?
Old 07-05-2001, 11:25 AM
S2R

If you're going to get an alarm, you may as well go with a better aftermarket system. I have the oem unit, cuz it came with the car.
Old 07-05-2001, 12:54 PM

Johnnyboy,

I have a clifford security system with the field sensor option on my car. I just wanted to get something so I have a peace of mind whenever it's not park in my garage. I really like the clifford alarm. My friend has it on his stook too. I don't know if the OEM sercurity comes with motion sensor.
Old 07-05-2001, 01:15 PM

You should probably do a search on this topic, it's been done allot.

I had a Clifford installed with dual 4 point proximity sensors
Old 07-05-2001, 01:33 PM

I believe I have made up my mind to get an aftermarket system with proximity sensors. I just wanted some opinions from those who have a stock system that might have gone the other way if they could chose again.

Thanks for the input ya'll.
Old 07-06-2001, 07:02 AM

I have the OEM system which I installed myself. I am happy with it and price (from Trevor) is reasonable. Took about 4 hours to install. Instructions are very complete but you must remove drivers seat and some panels. Worst part is lying on your back under dash with feet in the air. You have to unplug two multipin connectors under dash and it's VERY tight working under there. But I'm 67 years old so if I can do it you can.
Old 08-06-2001, 06:37 AM

I too am thinking about getting the Honda alarm (from www.handa-accessories.com) and installing it myself.

I have a few questions:

1. My primary interest in the Honda Alarm is the "tight integration" I would expect it to have with the car. I know there are no motion sensors but it seems like the car is set up to accept it pretty easily. Pre-drilled holes, ready locations, etc. Is this a valid assumption?

2. I've heard that the toughest part is getting the seat out and getting it back in, only because the bolts are torqued damn high. Is that true? Can you do the job without an impact wrench?

3. I really like the idea of a motion sensor inside so if #1 is false, can a good alarm w/motion senor had for less than a zillion dollars? I can get the Honda alarm for $270. I would like to spend no more than 500, including labor, if I were to get a third party alarm w/motion. Also, will they operate the trunk from the remote?

Thanks!!

-stooxie
Old 08-06-2001, 06:55 AM

stooxie I would say that you are correct on item #1. As for #2 I don't know where you got your information but I had absolutely no problem removing the seat bolts with a socket wrench. As a matter of fact the bolts are not that big (maybe 8 mm?) so how tight could they be? Bolts will only accept so much torque w/o breaking. As for #3, I don't have an answer for that.
Old 08-06-2001, 07:12 AM

The aftermarket alarms I checked on (Cliffard and Alpine) both have motion sensors and can both be had for $500 - 600 installed. I have also seen a thread on the forum about installing a motion sensor with the stock alarm...I'm not sure on the details of that.
Old 08-06-2001, 07:44 AM

There have been a few people her that have used the stock alarm as a base and added a 2 proximity radar motion sensor. It involves buying the motion sensor from another source and wiring it to the hood switch connection on the stock alarm.
I've been considering doing that, because I like the easy plug and play install of the factory alarm and I also like the small honda remote.

Andy

Quick Reply: Honda Alarm