S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Hit or miss VTEC problems, help wanted.

Old 09-17-2001, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit or miss VTEC problems, help wanted.

Lately, the first time, or few times, I rev beyond 6K rpm, my car seems to flicker between the 1st and second cam profiles. The car surges and stumbles. Some times it is subtle, sometimes is shakes the $#!+ out of me. After 1 or 2 trips from 6 to 9K rpm, the problem disappears. It doesn't seem to be temperature related, as I've had it happen just after hitting 3 bars and after driving on 3 bars for 20 min (just not going beyond 6K).

I took it to the dealer and due to the intermittent nature of the problem, and the fact there were no codes, I was sent packing. The only alternative was "to let them drive it around" to recreate the problem. Um, no thank you....

Has anyone dealt w/this, fixed this issue on their car. It really is starting to gnaw away at my enjoyment of the car, never knowing what I'll find above 6K, a tiger or a kitten
Old 09-17-2001, 01:19 PM

Your car is probably cold. Drive it for a few minutes before you go beyond 6k rpm`s

Ryan
Old 09-17-2001, 01:25 PM

I don't think so, from my previous post -

I've had it happen just after hitting 3 bars and after driving on 3 bars for 20 min (just not going beyond 6K).

I've also had it not happen in 1st gear and then happen in second, ie 6-9K 1st fine, shift, 6-9K in second slips in and out of second cam... It's not like the cold engine limit that kicks in and prevents you from revving higher, it just slips in and out of "VTEC".
Old 09-17-2001, 01:31 PM

vtec solenoid could has a loose ground or something..oil pressure problem maybe.. weird
Old 09-17-2001, 01:45 PM

Yeah it is weird, vtecvoodoo. You hit on a few good points though *light bulb goes off*

The oil is good, that was the 1st thing I checked. However this did manifest just after an oil change. I had a buddy reach in and unscrew the filter (he had longer arms). I think he mentioned bumping something in the process. The VTEC solenoid is right there by the filter correct. I'll have to take a closer look tonight, perhaps he knocked the harness askew...?
Old 09-17-2001, 01:53 PM

Hey, does it feel like it almost pops out of gear??
Old 09-17-2001, 02:17 PM

ackley1, it doesn't feel that severe to me. It's like I'm just back down below 6K again, w/the associated weaker delivery of power. Not like acceleration has stopped.
Old 09-17-2001, 02:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Silver S2K
The car surges and stumbles. Some times it is subtle, sometimes is shakes the $#!+ out of me. After 1 or 2 trips from 6 to 9K rpm, the problem disappears.
Sounds like the MAP sensor. Mine was similar.. if you a search you will find discussion.. replace for less than $40 if the dealer is still waiting for proof.
Old 09-17-2001, 03:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by cdelena

Sounds like the MAP sensor. Mine was similar.. if you a search you will find discussion.. replace for less than $40 if the dealer is still waiting for proof.
.......agreed Map Sensor. You'll find the sensor if you follow the air intake back from the airbox; it is clearly marked. Replace
Old 09-17-2001, 05:59 PM

Looks like I'll order the sensor and give it a shot. I don't know about you guys, but I'll piss away more than $40 of my time just trying to get the dealer to take me seriously w/such an intermittent problem.

Thanks, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: Hit or miss VTEC problems, help wanted.