S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

HID Question on our S's

Old 02-09-2005, 10:08 AM
ayS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Question on our S's

Hi All,
I have noticed that sometimes at night on the freeways/roads that sometimes some S's HID change from white to blue/purple Lights while other S's Just have a constant White Light coming from there HID's. Is this due to the fact that i have been seeing S's around in which some have been lowered and therefore with the bouncy suspension causing the hids to somewhat change colors as they drive along? im a bit confused and was just curious to what causes this. thanks all for listening.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:20 AM

The color that comes out of HID headlights depends on a bunch of things... but to make a story short, I'll just explain the relevant point.

The angle at which you see the headlight directly affects what color you see. This can be applied to any projector based HID setup. Pay attention to ANY car that has projecters in the headlights and HID while its turning, accelerating or braking (causing dive or squat), or taking bumps. The color will change.

So basically what you said is correct, the change in suspension causes you to see the headlights at a different angle than you would on a stock stook. And therefore you see different colors emanating from the lights...

Hope that explains it...
Old 02-09-2005, 10:33 AM
ayS

Originally Posted by BNavZ' date='Feb 9 2005, 07:20 PM
The color that comes out of HID headlights depends on a bunch of things... but to make a story short, I'll just explain the relevant point.

The angle at which you see the headlight directly affects what color you see. This can be applied to any projector based HID setup. Pay attention to ANY car that has projecters in the headlights and HID while its turning, accelerating or braking (causing dive or squat), or taking bumps. The color will change.

So basically what you said is correct, the change in suspension causes you to see the headlights at a different angle than you would on a stock stook. And therefore you see different colors emanating from the lights...

Hope that explains it...
when you say the HID projector headlights, are you talking about the ones that come stock on the S? i've also noticed though the very blue/purple style hids on BMW's and they are sometimes not as bouncy? maybe a higher burning rated light?
Old 02-09-2005, 10:53 AM

[quote name='ayS' date='Feb 9 2005, 11:33 AM']when you say the HID projector headlights, are you talking about the ones that come stock on the S?
Old 02-09-2005, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

projector meaning the light is focused by a lens rather than mirror.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:45 AM

Okay, I hope you'll forgive me, but I've not been able to find exactly what "HID" stands for. I know they're xenon, referring to the gas and understand light temperature, but I haven't figured out the abbreviation.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:48 AM

High Intensity Discharge
Old 02-09-2005, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by stefluva' date='Feb 9 2005, 12:48 PM
High Intensity Discharge
Thanks!
Old 02-09-2005, 11:58 AM

no prob
Old 02-09-2005, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by BNavZ' date='Feb 9 2005, 11:53 AM

About the bounciness... A lot, if not all of the newer HID setups are coming with auto-levelling features. The headlights actually have mechanisms that accomodate for the vehicle diving or squatting so that optimum lighting conditions are maintained on the road.
It should probably be mentioned that this auto-leveling feature works during braking and acceleration dive and squat, but is not capable of counteracting the bounciness of road conditions.

Keith

Quick Reply: HID Question on our S's