S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

HID lights any good?

Old 03-28-2005, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID lights any good?

Hi

I've been doing a little research into HID lighting on cars, many people say that the S2000 along with the Lexus LS430 are amongst the best out there.

I thought I would find out for myself by asking you guys, are all of the S2000's fitted with HID's ?

How do they compare with other cars , are they the best?

Thanks
Andrew
Old 03-28-2005, 12:47 PM

I've heard the same thing also that they are one of the best out there, I tell you it's hard going from my s2000 to my mom's xterra, it seems like her lights are not even on. So I would have to say they're pretty darn good.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Moving to S2000 Talk.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:10 PM

I'll tell you why I'm asking.

I've got a Supra TT and the lights are absolutely pathetic, I was thinking about rerofitting some S2000 lights into my car.

I've been looking on the HID forums and the reckon the S2000 and the Lexus LS430 lights are the best you can get.

I've got one Lexus light but it's going to be very difficult trying to get another, so I might go for the S2000 lights instead.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:12 PM

Yup, all S2000s come with HIDs. And yep, they are excellent. I love mine in all road and weather conditions. The beam looks a little more "focused" and has a sharper cutoff than many other cars' HIDs, but that's a non-issue in my book.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:20 PM

Received 241 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by merckx,Mar 28 2005, 02:10 PM
I'll tell you why I'm asking.

I've got a Supra TT and the lights are absolutely pathetic, I was thinking about rerofitting some S2000 lights into my car.

I've been looking on the HID forums and the reckon the S2000 and the Lexus LS430 lights are the best you can get.

I've got one Lexus light but it's going to be very difficult trying to get another, so I might go for the S2000 lights instead.
What kind of bulbs are in your Supra TT? The reason I ask is that I have a Lexus SC300 (Toyota Soarer). My lights sucked too and here's what I did (with a little help from the ClubLexus.com website).

1> Clean the plastic lenses with plastic polish. This helps a lot.

2> If the bulbs are 9006 style for the low beam and 9005 style for the high beam, switch to 9005 for the low beams as well. The 9006's have a silvered end on them and emit no light from the front of the bulb. You get a little hot spotting on the road directly in front of you but seem to have no issues with blinding oncoming cars if the headlights are properly aimed. My car has the vertical cutoff pretty well defined by the lenses and the reflectors -- I think your Supra is similar. There is a minor mod you have to make to the 9005 bulb to make it fit but it is easy. You can PM me if needed.

3> I switched to Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. The life will be a little shorter because the light output per watt is higher than standard Halogen bulbs are not really that expensive compared to an HID conversion.

4> Stay far away from high wattage bulbs (80 watts) sold on the internet. They will fry the wiring. The Silverstar bulbs meet the 55 Watt standard for that size bulb. The factory bulbs were only 51 watts.

5> If you have completely different lighting than I think you have --- well sorry, I wasted my time and yours. Hope this is helpful.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt,Mar 28 2005, 03:20 PM
What kind of bulbs are in your Supra TT? The reason I ask is that I have a Lexus SC300 (Toyota Soarer). My lights sucked too and here's what I did (with a little help from the ClubLexus.com website).

1> Clean the plastic lenses with plastic polish. This helps a lot.

2> If the bulbs are 9006 style for the low beam and 9005 style for the high beam, switch to 9005 for the low beams as well. The 9006's have a silvered end on them and emit no light from the front of the bulb. You get a little hot spotting on the road directly in front of you but seem to have no issues with blinding oncoming cars if the headlights are properly aimed. My car has the vertical cutoff pretty well defined by the lenses and the reflectors -- I think your Supra is similar. There is a minor mod you have to make to the 9005 bulb to make it fit but it is easy. You can PM me if needed.

3> I switched to Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. The life will be a little shorter because the light output per watt is higher than standard Halogen bulbs are not really that expensive compared to an HID conversion.

4> Stay far away from high wattage bulbs (80 watts) sold on the internet. They will fry the wiring. The Silverstar bulbs meet the 55 Watt standard for that size bulb. The factory bulbs were only 51 watts.

5> If you have completely different lighting than I think you have --- well sorry, I wasted my time and yours. Hope this is helpful.
You're right with the bulbs, a 9005 high beam bulb could be used with a little modding.

The lenses are in good condition.

I've already decided that I'm going to try installing some HID's, a challenge to get some fanastic lights.

In the meantime I might go with your suggestion.

Thanks

Old 03-29-2005, 06:38 AM

IMO, the HID headlamps in the S2000 are some of the best headlamps on the market. The color is good, the pattern is wide and the cutoff is very sharp. Some prefer the blurred "US" style of beam cutoff and don't like the S2K's lights.

The only thing I could complain about the S2K lights is if you're in a car in front of an S at night. The ultra stiff suspension of the Honda magnifies the headlights bouncing up and down and causes unwanted glare for drivers coming towards you or in front of you.

I'll tell you this though... the headlights in my NSX absolutely blow ass compared to those in the S2K.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:59 AM

Well, I have driven my friend's 94 Supra TT auto. and yes you guys headlights isn't all that great compare to ours. My friend complained about the same thing. Our headlights are very bright and we usually get highbeamed by other drivers because they think we are highbeaming them. The 00-03's Honda S2000 are more towards the side but still very bright. The 04's+ Honda S2000 are more concentrated towards the middle as oppose to the side.

As others have mention I have driven other cars with HID's and they don't compare to my S2000. The S2000 have very sharp cut off points and you can see them. Our lights seem to work very well on flat roads. However on uphill or downhill they aren't as effective. Hopefully that helps.

-Alan
Old 03-29-2005, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove a CTS for a weekend that had HIDs I thought they might only be Halogens that's how good the S2000 HIDs are!

Quick Reply: HID lights any good?