S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

HID Headlights Worse?

Old 08-02-2002, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Headlights Worse?

There was an article in our local paper recently about a study, By Univ of Michigan I think, that concluded that HID headlights were inferior to regular lights. Said they illuminated the sides of the road better but didn't do as well in the center of the light pattern. I did a search on the newspaper's website but couldn't find the article. It was a wire service report so I'm sure it was in other papers as well. Anybody have a copy they can post? Any comments?
Old 08-02-2002, 07:14 AM

I haven't seen the article, but the way I see it, it's all in with a marketing scheme, the fact is, whenever something as innovating as HID's come out, people will get all over both on the good and bad side. And probably after researching them for so long, they found what they wanted, a weak point.

I dont have an S2000 but my car has HID's from factory, and I will never buy a car with regular headlights, just the sight of the flicker when you turn them on, it's a beatiful sight to say the least.
Old 08-02-2002, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by andrewewing
There was an article in our local paper recently about a study, By Univ of Michigan I think, that concluded that HID headlights were inferior to regular lights. Said they illuminated the sides of the road better but didn't do as well in the center of the light pattern. I did a search on the newspaper's website but couldn't find the article. It was a wire service report so I'm sure it was in other papers as well. Anybody have a copy they can post? Any comments?
There was actually two studies done. One regarding the inferiorarity and the other is the classic "ouch my eyes can't stand those lights".

They found through studies that the human eye is no more sensitive to regular headlights compared to HID lights. Which was relieving, since they are always lobbying against them in the U.S.

The other did find that HID's were inferior in the center light pattern.
Old 08-02-2002, 09:30 AM

Have to admit that I love 'em, but our car's tight suspension makes it bounce around so much that half the people you approach are usually flicking their brights at you. Very annoying.
Old 08-02-2002, 12:38 PM

Stock Halogen versus stock HID, HID seems much better.

After market Halogen versus stock HID is a different story. My 97 Defender 90 has aftermarket (IPF) Halogen headlights in it that blow away the S2000's headlights. They are glass lenses (non-DOT approved) with H4 bulbs that are 90 watts low beam and 145 watts high beam.

The stock Defender headlights were horrible and this upgrade makes daylight out of the darkest roads. Aiming is obviously quite important, but not difficult to do.

-YS
Old 08-02-2002, 12:48 PM

Any pics of the Defender, I am a big Defender fan. Please post link or pics.
Old 08-02-2002, 12:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HID's put out a wider spectrum of light, helping you to distinguish items better. They are more efficient. Only bad thing is the projector beam models have a severe cutoff (like the S2000)
Old 08-02-2002, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by Guzo
Any pics of the Defender, I am a big Defender fan. Please post link or pics.
I'll post some this weekend.

It is a 97 SW in Arles Blue with 34" BF Goodrich tires, 3" lift via Old Man Emu suspension, Rockware front bumper, Safari Gard rear bumper, Safari Gard diff guards, dual Optima battery setup to run the camping fridge and IPF headlights, Sony MP3 head unit driving Blaupunkt speakers, and a few other odds and ends...

-YS
Old 08-02-2002, 07:37 PM

What's more annoying than HIDs is the average suv or truck that's lights are level with your rear window and shine right into your car. Especially when the idiot driver has his highbeams on and doesn't know it. I wanna see pics of your Defender (in action) too, Yellow Streak. I've never been 4 wheelin, but it looks like fun.
Old 08-02-2002, 08:43 PM

I just put a few photos in the gallery at https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=74988

I will see if I can get some "pretty" photos too - clean and looking sharp

-YS

Quick Reply: HID Headlights Worse?