S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Here's one for debate

Old 05-04-2003, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WTH?? You mean there's RPM's below 9,000?? I keep my "ESS" at 9,000 in every gear - all the time!

J/K - Mainly 4th gear for me around town(40-50 mph).
Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Depends on my mood. Sometimes I need a VTEC fix.

Bottom line for me is that I love shifting the S for the sake of shifting, nothing more. I've heard people bitch about the gears around here, but I don't share any of that; quite the opposite. Maybe I just got lucky with my gearbox, I don't know.

Anyway, use the car as you like and enjoy it. Keep the oil clean and fresh and it should run like a throughbred (to continue XV's apt analogy).
Old 05-04-2003, 06:38 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UFeniZe
[B]i keep the rpms within 2-4 range.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:41 PM

What I love about this car, and what I have always loved about this car, is it will do everything for you.

I drive it every which way but loose.....................

1. Want to have fun, KEEP HERRRRRRRRRRR IN VTEC.

2. Going to the store after a long [see hangover] nite out, rev her to 2K.

3. Don't know what the Hell is going to happen, just drive her, and when needed DROP THE BITCH AND LET HER FLY!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-04-2003, 06:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2KGary
[B]What I love about this car, and what I have always loved about this car, is it will do everything for you.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:54 PM

I follow what the Honda manual recommends for the best gas mileage and the lowest emissions...w/ an occasional VTEC.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:55 PM

cruising at a high rpm like 5-6k rpm is lame, its just a big waste of gas and more engine wear. when im cruising, i go into the highest gear that lets the car run smoothly(no lugging though). my average operating range is 2.5 - 3.5 rpm in any gear. if you need the extra power to pass someone or just for the hell of it, just downshift a couple gears and you're in vtec zone...but make sure you don't overrev the motor with a mis-shift.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:42 PM

I'll crusie at 35mph in first gear...lol Actually tried it a few times...puts such a grin on your face. But seriously when I know I will be driving at a constant spped, its in fourth. I'll only keep revs high when I want to get around but waiting for cars to move out the way. No sense to cruise at high rpms. It be like cruising in the highway in 3rd.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:41 PM

This is an especially interesting topic for me, since my wife will take two hours' lessons with a driving school on driving a stick this Wednesday and then she gets behind the wheel of the S2000. (There are actually very few places that teach this skill in the US these days.)

My greatest concern with a new stick-shift driver, of course, is getting, say, first gear when you wanted third and blowing up the engine. However, my second biggest concern for engine damage is the potential of lugging causing bearing damage.

Thus I have told her to keep the tach between 3,000 and 5,000 RPM at first, figuring that 3,000 is fast enough to climb most hills and 5,000 would be a normal shift point in light to moderate traffic. (The subtleties will come later.)

Keeping the revs up as does the person this thread is about is fairly standard racing practice for experienced drivers who need the maximum available power in a second or two. However, to do so on the street seems just plain wasteful of gasoline, eardrums, cylinder walls, piston rings, bearings, drive chains, cam shafts, and numerous other engine parts. Now I understand why automatic transmissions exist--they have more intelligence than this driver! Please, get him into something with an automatic ASAP.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:28 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Crabby Guy
[B]This is an especially interesting topic for me, since my wife will take two hours' lessons with a driving school on driving a stick this Wednesday and then she gets behind the wheel of the S2000.

Quick Reply: Here's one for debate