S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Helping my S be more safe

Old 11-16-2006 | 12:38 AM

[QUOTE=AlX Boi,Nov 15 2006, 07:26 AM] It was rated #1 in Top Gear's survey of most satisfied car.
Old 11-16-2006 | 04:50 AM

Aside from posts about truly fascinating physics and about fatalism, this has been an informative thread so far. It's nice to know our little cars are as tough as they are. But they are little cars.

One thing that emerges here, although I don't believe that it's been stated explicitly, is this:

One clear way to make the S a safer car is to send its driver to performance driving school -- to make the driver safer.

Many of the other threads here at S2Ki generally validate that notion. HPH
Old 11-16-2006 | 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Nov 15 2006, 08:24 PM
Well... big car hits little car, little car moves and forces are dissipated. Big car hits big car, all that force canceling is occurring on your body.... more or less.

What kind of car were you driving when you had your wreck?

The most deadly accidents are rollovers if I remember correctly, so a car less likely to roll over in an accident is going to be safer imo.
I was in the passenger seat of a Honda Civic. Long story short, we hit a bulldozer and the driver died... I was laid up for at least 2 months.
Old 11-16-2006 | 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Nov 15 2006, 10:24 PM
Well... big car hits little car, little car moves and forces are dissipated. Big car hits big car, all that force canceling is occurring on your body.... more or less.
Err, that's not how physics works. Big car hits little car, little car moves a lot and the human occupants are subjected to large forces. Big car hits big car, and the mass of the big car absorbs much of the impact so that the human occupants don't feel as much.

That's not the only factor in determining damage (personal and/or vehicular) in an auto accident, but that's how the physics of the collision works.
Old 11-16-2006 | 07:12 AM
Gold Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

[QUOTE=Syncmaster,Nov 16 2006, 09:17 AM] I was in the passenger seat of a Honda Civic.
Old 11-16-2006 | 07:17 AM

[QUOTE=GranPrix,Nov 15 2006, 08:23 AM] DAMN, this is F**KING IMPRESSIVE!!!
Old 11-16-2006 | 07:18 AM
Gold Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

^ That's probably because he didn't hit anything... The damage seems to be caused primarily from flipping. I think the SRS sensors are in the bumper??
Old 11-16-2006 | 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Nov 15 2006, 05:09 PM
Rusty, I expect we are in violent agreement.

All I was trying to say was that I do not feel less safe in the S than I do in, say, a Volvo (snowy conditions with AWD notwithstanding). I am able to control the attraction of the S's siren song on the road and stay out of self-inflicted trouble. Yeah, I definitely drive a little harder in the S, but I'm nowhere near the S's limits. Hell, I even take my kids for rides in the S (I have an airbag on/off switch) without any fear.

It comes down to this: IMO, life is meant to be lived. Period.
i agree
Old 11-16-2006 | 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Nov 15 2006, 10:35 PM
I'm not a fan of this logic - you're assuming that because its a sports car he's more likely to get into an accident. People push cars for the thrill no matter what they are driving, and get into accidents, and I'd say its just as easy to wreck a Civic as it is an S.
that is what i'm assuming. from personal experience, i had a 94 eclipse. that thing was a slug compared to the S. i had no desire to push it at all. not just because it wasn't fun, but also because i was afraid things would break. if i accidentally took a turn a little too fast -- rain or dry -- there were no consequences...just a "whoa, that coulda been bad". i felt like it was impossible to lose control in a FWD. do the same in an S and it's a few k worth of damages.

i dunno, just my perception. depends on the person too.
Old 11-16-2006 | 08:21 AM
20 Year Member

This all reminds me of a girl I know who had a head on in her BMW Z3 - she fell asleep at the wheel and drifted into the other lane, hitting a Tacoma or something. All she suffered was a broken leg, yet all she'll drive now is SUVs to be safe. Odd logic there, but people think like that...

Fwiw, I've had more friends die in "normal" sedans than sports cars from high-speed car crashes.

i felt like it was impossible to lose control in a FWD
This can be dangerous thinking, since any car can lose control no matter its drivetrain or power. I hear what you're saying, but knowing that bad things are very possible can make you safer. People who think they are safe in a car take chances they shouldn't imo.

Quick Reply: Helping my S be more safe