S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Helping my S be more safe

Old 11-15-2006 | 05:56 AM

Default Helping my S be more safe

Some of you may have seen that I put my S up for sale about a week ago. I really don't want to sell it but my family wants me to trade it for a "safer" car.

I am trying to convince them that it is just as safe a a civic for example. Still, they won't budge.

What I want to know is this: Is there any way to increase the side impact safety of this car without installing a huge cage? What rollbar will improve over stock and can be SAFELY used on the street without a helmet?

I am also thinking about using the hardtop factor to help my argument...

So, how can I make my car more safe?
Old 11-15-2006 | 06:01 AM
Gold Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

You should've titled this thread differently.

First of all, your car is pretty damn safe as it stands. But, without a roll cage, you really do have that concern about rollover protection. The windshield and the roll hoops are very strong, but if that's not enough for you then you should sell for a car with a fixed top.

If you're worried about other types of impact accidents, you should know that the S2000 frame does very well in comparison to other cars. Better than many -- which a lot of folks don't know!

I don't know if the S2000 hardtop offers any additional protection in a rollover. Maybe someone can chime in on that.
Old 11-15-2006 | 06:08 AM

get creative with photoshop and make up some BS comsumer reports looking thing about how the S2000 is best in class in crash tests or soemthing like that.
Old 11-15-2006 | 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ray K.,Nov 15 2006, 07:08 AM
get creative with photoshop and make up some BS comsumer reports looking thing about how the S2000 is best in class in crash tests or soemthing like that.
LOL
Old 11-15-2006 | 06:24 AM

I just recently had a buddy roll his 05 three times down an steep embankment. A gravel truck threw up all over the road and im sure he was going over the speed limit . The car was tore to pieces but he was able to climb in one piece. He only had a few scratches. The seat belt and roll bars did their job. I think its a safe car. Here are a few pics. Remember he walked away from this.

Old 11-15-2006 | 06:26 AM

It was rated #1 in Top Gear's survey of most satisfied car. That survery included a myriad of categories including safety. It was also in Car & Driver's top 10 list for awhile. An uber unsafe car couldn't possibly receive such awards.

Aren't there a lot of reports out there that gives crash test ratings? I watch Top Gear a lot, so I only know of a Euro N-Cap rating. It's supposed to consist of up-to-date technology for testing, unlike our American labs. Isn't the mileage determination for cars 30 years old already?
Old 11-15-2006 | 07:07 AM
Gold Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

millertown,

Yes, that guy is lucky he walked away from that. The windshield frame cracked, which means it was a pretty serious impact. I don't think I've ever seen a more f'd up S2000.
Old 11-15-2006 | 07:16 AM

US crash testing is the hardest thing for any car to meet (except maybe CA exhaust laws) so basically any car sold in the US in the last 10 years is safe.

http://www.automotive.com/new-cars/safety/...onda/index.html

S2000
Front Impact: Driver - ****(4) Passenger - ****(4)
Side Impact: Front - *****(5)

Civic
Front Impact: Driver - *****(5) Passenger - *****(5)
Side Impact: Front - ***(3) Rear - *****(5)

As you can see we are actually quite good when it comes to side impact.
Old 11-15-2006 | 07:17 AM

The S is just about as safe as you can get in the class it is in. Yes it's a sports car but it's still a Honda. They don't put unsafe cars out on the road. The car is pretty heavy IMO, a lot heavier than my 2000 civic was. 2420 and 2750. Search on here you will see a lot of rollover pics. The windshield seemes to do it's job. Just wear your seatbelt like any other car. What impacts scare your family the most?
Old 11-15-2006 | 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Nov 15 2006, 08:07 AM
millertown,

Yes, that guy is lucky he walked away from that. The windshield frame cracked, which means it was a pretty serious impact. I don't think I've ever seen a more f'd up S2000.
Yeah, I cant belive he was ok. The guys at the wrecker yard were takin bets on how far it threw him outta the car. Should have seen their eyes when he walked up to get his stuff outta the car.

Quick Reply: Helping my S be more safe