S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

HELP-what would you do?

Old 09-23-2006, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeh def a lesson learned, I would take an old beater there but for my SC s2k, I take it to the acura dealer who isntalled the SC.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:06 AM

Sorry to hear about the motor bro. We all do stupid things sometimes. You brought your car to Jiffy Lube. I brought my car to the honda deelor, not once, not twice but six times. Now that is stupid.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:16 AM

alright, i know i'm not on much...i'm a busy guy. i'll try touch on all questions in this post and give a little update, as well as my plans at the moment. for all the people wondering why i couldn't wait a day to change the oil myself (like normal) is because i had just moved to a new area, was training for a new job, and starting college all at once. second the dealer doesn't know if the engine is blown, this is an assumption. an assumption that i will not question if jiffy lube will pay for the whole bill. as far as an update, last friday jiffy lube recieved a quote for the repair at just shy of 10k bucks. they sent out an inspector of some sort. apparently they are assuming the fault because they are turning it in to their insurance who is supposed to be contacting me soon. so far things are going in the right direction. up to this point i haven't mentioned a lawyer to jiffy, i want to save that for last case scenario, although i do have 2 managers at honda, a recipt, and a bunch of digital pics to document should this end in a law suit. so we will see. i'll try to update when i hear something. thanks for all the responses.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:37 AM

Sounds good so far I got my fingers crossed for you!

...subscribing to see how it turns out
Old 09-26-2006, 04:41 AM

As long as you have the receit (which you may not) and that reminder sticky pad on top of your windshield along w/ the dealer diagnosis, I think you're pretty much set.

I hope everything works out well.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:55 AM

there is not a lot of new news to update on, but jiffy lube has apparently admitted responsibility and turned it over to their insurance, who has yet to contact me. i keep trying to get a number or something so i can contact them, but i have had no luck. jiffy lube corporate hasn't returned any calls recently and the last i heard from them was "its out of our hands, wait on the insurance.". so my patience is wearing thin, especially since i know its going to take at least two weeks for the dealership to get the engine from japan and put it into my car, once they get authorization from the insurance. what would you all be doing in my shoes? i'm in limbo.
matt
ps. how much value do you think the new engine would add to the car? i'm thinking of selling it for a little profit. this would be a good deal to anyone interested in a 2000 with a brand new honda installed engine.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:49 PM

Well, at least you're moving in the right direction. From here, you can take 1 of 3 routes:
1. I don't know where you live but most states have an agency that regulates insurance companies. For example, in Florida we have the Office of Insurance Regulation. You could look up (or call and ask) which company Jiffy Lube carries a policy with and contact them.
2. You could call another Jiffy Lube location and play the old "Joe Customer" routine. It may not work but a question along the lines of "yeah, I was going to come in and get my oiled changed and wanted to make sure you carried insurance, could you tell me what company insures you?"....maybe the manager of another store would just tell you.
3. Just wait for them to call you.

Good luck, keep us informed. All I know is that I'm taking her to the dealer from now on.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting!

4 of us UK S drivers recently did 2600 miles round France & Italy. 10 miles from the ferry one did exactly the same. He switched the egine off and coasted to a stop, oil light on and all. We retightened the oil filter and topped it back up. Pressure washed it at a garge to prevent fire hazard and off we went. 1700 miles later going over the Alps it did the same

Did the same again and took it to a very efficient French Honda dealer the next morning. Apparently it was the wrong oil filter not fitted properly!

Engine was fine the rest of the way and is still going strong!
Old 10-02-2006, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by mattylight,Oct 2 2006, 11:55 AM
there is not a lot of new news to update on, but jiffy lube has apparently admitted responsibility and turned it over to their insurance, who has yet to contact me. i keep trying to get a number or something so i can contact them, but i have had no luck. jiffy lube corporate hasn't returned any calls recently and the last i heard from them was "its out of our hands, wait on the insurance.". so my patience is wearing thin, especially since i know its going to take at least two weeks for the dealership to get the engine from japan and put it into my car, once they get authorization from the insurance. what would you all be doing in my shoes? i'm in limbo.
matt
ps. how much value do you think the new engine would add to the car? i'm thinking of selling it for a little profit. this would be a good deal to anyone interested in a 2000 with a brand new honda installed engine.
Honestly unless you find someone who really wants a new engine in their s2k and you show them all the documentation, then it won't add value. You would have to sell it to an enthusiast. If you sell it to an average person or trade it in, they are probably going to question why its not the original motor. I'd try to go after Jiffy Lube's insurance company for the depreciation as well . . . which some people do indeed get.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:28 AM

Officially offical jiffy lube is paying for it all. As soon as the dealer can get the engine from japan they will have it installed. So I think that I may try to sell it, if anyone would like to buy an Red MY00 with a brand new engine feel free to make me an offer, I'd be very reasonable with the price.