S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

help a soon to be s2000 owner with a carfax?

Old 09-14-2004, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help a soon to be s2000 owner with a carfax?

Hi, I'm new to s2ki and hopefully I'll be a new S2000 owner soon as well. I've known that this was my kind of car back in '99 when it first came out and now that I've put aside some hard earned cash, I'm ready to bring a s2000 home to my garage.

Would someone please help me run a carfax on the following VIN:
JHMAP114X2T009618

It's a black/black '02 with decent milage (24k) but the person I'm dealing with is the 2nd owner. It's a pretty good deal but I don't want to get burned because the first owner may or may not have been completely truthful to this guy. Even if he had, I'm not sure if this guy would tell me any of those details when and if I buy this car from him.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-14-2004, 12:39 PM

Here you go:

Report Generated for
Curtis M.
For Personal Use Only
Since its establishment as an independent company in 1986, CARFAX has collected the largest vehicle history database in North America. This database currently includes over 3 billion records from thousands of public and private sources.

A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. Other information about this vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX. Use this report as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about your next used car.

Good News -- Vehicle qualifies for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee!
No severe problems (major accidents, fire, flood damage, major odometer problems or lemon history) were ever reported by a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for this 2002 HONDA S2000 (JHMAP114X2T009618). If you find that any of these severe problems were reported to a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back.

You must register to activate this free guarantee!
CARFAX Talking CarTM
The story of this 2002 HONDA S2000 (JHMAP114X2T009618) according to our interpretation of the information reported to CARFAX:
This convertible has had 2 owners and was owned in California. The first title for this convertible was reported to CARFAX by a California DMV in 2002.
It has had no minor or moderate accidents reported to CARFAX.
It has had no DMV-reported total loss events, like a major accident, fire or flood.
It has a consistent mileage history with no indication of an odometer rollback. It was driven an average of 9,840 miles per year, which is lower than the industry average of 15,000. The last odometer reading, reported on 04/19/2004, was 14,856 miles.
It was not reported to a DMV as a Manufacturer Buyback (LEMON).
CARFAX estimates it has 14 months or 21,144 miles remaining on the basic warranty. The basic warranty provides bumper-to-bumper coverage.
Go to the Detailed Vehicle History for the complete history and a glossary of terms.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:35 PM

Thanks Chia! Your help is much appreciated! I'm going to set up a time to check this ride out. peace.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:06 PM

Another View:

I hydroplaned my S2000 into a concrete divider at 70MPH. I asked it be totaled at the initial estimate of 13K because of additional damage likely to be found...BUZZ...rejected! So, 24K in claims later, I decided to check what a CARFAX report would say...HEY, its NOT that I ever plan to sel my COMPLETELY rebuilt S2K....

GUESS WHAT...BUZZ!! Over two years later, my CARF**k report is NOTHING....that's right....24K in repairs in ONE wreck...and NOTHING shows up...of course, results may vary.!!!

BTW, my car runs/looks better now than ever......of course, I suppose the fact that its been practically rebuilt, might make a difference

Don't be a sap.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:46 PM

That's just great. I guess I can look unded the car (when it's on a lift) and along the edges of body panels to hopefully spot damage/repair. I have also read that there are serial/id numbers on certain parts of the car that are applied from the factory. If so, where are these #s?
Also, were there any recalls/TSBs out on the 2002 models?
I'll be checking this car out this weekend so thanks for any and all info!
Old 09-16-2004, 12:53 PM

Should be one on the underside of the hood.
On the front bumper under the hood.
On the rear bumper under the trunk.
May be one under the trunk lid.
On each door.
On the car in the door jam.

I think those are all there, but I make no gurantees.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:05 PM

I had a spark plug recall
Old 09-16-2004, 01:12 PM

carfax only reports incidents that involve public records - police, DMV, etc.
so if you're in an accident where police wasn't called in, it'll be clean.
some insurance companies do report claims to carfax, but for the most part nobody does - it's just a pain and waste of time for them.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:17 AM

Thanks for all the responses. It's too bad there isn't a better way to check a vehicle's history.
May I request another CarFax on a different VIN?
JHMAP11493T005643
It'll probably come up clear and I'll still be taking a chance by buying it but oh well. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have it checked out.
Thanks again everyone!
-Dave
Old 09-21-2004, 12:23 PM

Report Generated for
Curtis M.
For Personal Use Only
Since its establishment as an independent company in 1986, CARFAX has collected the largest vehicle history database in North America. This database currently includes over 3 billion records from thousands of public and private sources.

A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. Other information about this vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX. Use this report as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about your next used car.

Good News -- Vehicle qualifies for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee!
No severe problems (major accidents, fire, flood damage, major odometer problems or lemon history) were ever reported by a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for this 2003 HONDA S2000 (JHMAP11493T005643). If you find that any of these severe problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back.

You must register to activate this free guarantee!
CARFAX Talking CarTM
The story of this 2003 HONDA S2000 (JHMAP11493T005643) according to our interpretation of the information reported to CARFAX:
This convertible has had 2 owners and was owned in Delaware and Pennsylvania. The first title for this convertible was reported to CARFAX by a Delaware DMV in 2004.
It has had no minor or moderate accidents reported to CARFAX.
It has had no DMV-reported total loss events, like a major accident, fire or flood.
It has a consistent mileage history with no indication of an odometer rollback. The last odometer reading, reported on 08/04/2004, was 7,575 miles.
It was not reported to a DMV as a Manufacturer Buyback (LEMON).
CARFAX estimates it has 32 months or 28,425 miles remaining on the basic warranty. The basic warranty provides bumper-to-bumper coverage.
Go to the Detailed Vehicle History for the complete history and a glossary of terms.