S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Help! Need info on how to use the VTEC

Old 01-15-2002, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Need info on how to use the VTEC

Very nice website, the threads are great. So far I haven't found my burning question answered, however.

I'm VERY interested in buying a 2000, but clueless about how to use the VTEC. Driving over 6k rpm is new territory for me, and, alas, also for Honda salesmen. The little that they let me test drive the s2k, I pass the speed limit well before I get close to 6k. I haven't tried leaving it in 2nd gear on the Interstate, but then again the salesman insists on driving with me.... So is the VTEC feature only for the racetrack? When do you seasoned pros out there actually use 6k rpm under normal driving conditions?

Many thanks for the help!

warner
Old 01-15-2002, 02:27 PM

In any gear when you hit 6,000 rpm, give or take a few rpm, VTEC engages automatically.

If you haven't hit it, it means you haven't brought the revs high enough already or something is wrong with the car.
Old 01-15-2002, 02:38 PM

First off, break the car in first. 600 miles of 5.5K and below. If the dealer lets people drive the show model hard, I wouldn't get it.

VTEC is automatic. The actual trigger point depends on throttle position. 5.5K under light throttle; 6K under full throttle. VTEC turns off at different points from truning on. Don't know those trigger points.

I use it all the time to pass people, getting on the freeway, etc. I remember a column that previewed the S: "Drive it like you stole it"
Old 01-15-2002, 02:39 PM

warner,

VTEC is simply a change in the engine's timing that occurs at high RPMs and allows the engine to generate a great deal more power. There are actually two sets of cams in the engine, one for low-RPM operation, and a more aggressive set for high-RPM operation. It is said that VTEC 'engages' at around 6,500 RPM, at which point the engine begins using its more aggressive cams. VTEC is only useful for acceleration -- you don't "leave it in second gear on the interstate." To obtain maximum acceleration in just about any car (including the S2000), the rule of thumb is to shift at redline.

So here's how to 'use VTEC:'

Put it in first, let the clutch out. Floor it until you hit 9k.
Shift to second. Floor it until you hit 9k.

Lather, rinse, repeat. If you're accelerating to enter a freeway, you'll eventually upshift to normal cruise gear (6th above about 55 mph), just like you would in any car.

I use VTEC just about every time I'm on a ramp, or leaving first from a stoplight. The S2000 redlines (9k RPM) at 42 mph in first gear -- so you don't necessarily even have to break any speed limits to enjoy it.

- Warren
Old 01-15-2002, 03:21 PM

the vtec engagement point depends on atomospheric pressure also. When I drove thru Yosemite VTEC wouldn't engage until around 7k.

TO USE VTEC:
With the vtec cams engaged you get more power than from the regular cams. The transmission ratios are set so that when you redline shift you will stay in the vtec range. When you want to drive aggressively, shift so that you fall under 6k as little as possible. This gets very noisy and makes the car more sensitive to throttle than otherwise, so please be prepared and be careful!

I use vtec every day whenever I want to drive instead of just cruise
Old 01-16-2002, 06:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't you think honda would have put a sept by step instruction in the owners manual on how to engage Vtec?

Step one, setp on gas
Step two, take first gear to 6000
step three, shift to second and stomp on gas, take to 7000
step four, shift to third and blow everyone away...
step five, go back to honda, and complain about the clutch..
step six, get a v-afc controller to lower the vtec to 5300
repeat step two to five...
Old 01-16-2002, 07:05 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dkhl
[B]don't you think honda would have put a sept by step instruction in the owners manual on how to engage Vtec?
Old 01-16-2002, 07:13 AM

Did the dealer specifically say not to engage VTEC? When I test drove one the guy was all over it. Just romp the throttle, in second gear up to the redline, then shift into 3rd. You'll feel the VTEC. Then just make sure you don't buy the test drive car...
Old 01-16-2002, 08:49 AM

Damn, guys, it's not rocket science!
Old 01-17-2002, 05:06 PM

I'd like to thank everyone who explained the "facts of life" to me concerning VTEC. Yes, it doesn't sound like rocket science, but to the uninitiated it is this strange place where you're never been before. Based on the good vibes from this forum I ordered my blue S2K today, delivery in about 3 weeks. Thanks!!!!!! Now about that clutch .........???

Maybe Honda should split the commission with the forum?

warner

Quick Reply: Help! Need info on how to use the VTEC